flue liner do i need one

bruxie hill

seasoned hard wood

the chimney is already lined with 8" pipe

i would put a liner in if it was a block chimney

bruxie

You could try the HETAS website to see what gen they've got on it. As far as I know, liners are generally the reserve of gas & oil fired appliances. Solid fuel normally requires something more robust - like your clay liner. Or twin wall insulated pipe.

Fit like Bruxie (Maud?)

Whether you need liner or not will depend on the condition of your lum. lol. If it's good you won't need one. Watch what you're burning white wood tends to leave tar in lum which causes problems but you can add stuff to fire to overcome this.

If you're from Bruxie it'll be peat you'll be burning?:lol:?

]

Fit like Bruxie (Maud?)

no wullie my names not maud its ian :lol::D:yes:

the lum is in good nic what i can see of it

its a old stone farm house so the lum will be well thick

doc i thought that the twin walled pipe was insulated to put a chimney where there was not 1 before

all the best bruxie

]

Fit like Bruxie (Maud?)

doc i thought that the twin walled pipe was insulated to put a chimney where there was not 1 before

all the best bruxie

That's right, and the clay is used when building a brick chimney. Double check with the maker of your stove, just to be on the safe side.

]

Fit like Bruxie (Maud?)

all the best bruxie

Mibbee's best getting it tested. There have been a few horror stories of "auld lums" being brought back into service and causing crisis, neighbour almost had a serious fire.

We've two wood burners one lined cos an **** of a slater put a kango through the clay lining when pointing the hoose the other which gets most of the use, coupled to central heating, hasn't been lined.

Bruxie is up by P'heed, Maud area isn't it?

Awra best.

got me in one

if you have been on google you are sad :lol:

Naw used to work for the hydro, many years ago, Bruxie was one of our repeater stations for our radio system. Work at sea now.

If you are getting a woodburner and live on a farm (bide on a fairm). Get a splitter for the back of the tractor. Gets rid of all the ****e that lies around the place. Like fence post, old hen-houses, derelict threshing mills etc. Tidied up here no end. :lol::D:yes::w00t:

Many countries have regulations for wood burners needing a double stainless liner as the wood tar will eat through stone/brick joints but if you are thinking of fitting a liner check for any bends in the flue. I had a ******* of a job fitting an 8" liner with a double bend part way down but the guy a few doors down with the same house had a straight flue so no probs. I used some climbing gear so I could stand and work with both hands and it was hard work twisting it all the way down. Good luck :lol:

if its got a clay liner it should be absolutely fine, remember log burners won't produce CO in sufficient amounts to be a problem you'll know of problems well before there is a hazard. Try it without and check the draw and make sure you can't smell any fumes anywhere. If it smokes or won't dray properly its a sign you need to line it with a 6" liner and fill the gap round it with vermiculite to insulate it which improves matters. If you use unseasoned wood is when you get most issues as they will produce tar that can seep through brickwork

I have a bungalow with a clay lined 8" flue covered with a 4" brick chimney breast - The Supplier who sold woodburner to me who also fit told me it would be OK - One thing though the chimney breast in room get's red hot all way to ceiling - never underestimate heat a wood/multifuel fire put's out.

Dave

In nearly 20 yrs of fighting fires, I`ve never had a multi fuel burner fire, though that isn`t to say they don`t occur. With open fires I`ve had several hearths out, due to them burning into the supporting frame and a couple of problem lums that weren`t lined properly and filled the houses with smoke from every socket point, skirting and the window frames.

I think asking a sweep would be the best bet.