Garden Gun Ammo'

UKPoacher

hard to find diffrent size shot but fiocchi do shot sizes from no 5 no 6 no 7 1/2 and rws do a double load shot of no10

stick to the 7 1/2 mate there great for pests and a good pattern

Thanks. I have no problem getting 7.5's but would like to try larger shot for grey squirrels. Do you know ofa stockist does 6's or even 5's?

Night Owl, I've done a few rough ballistics tests and at 20 yds with 7.5's it looks like it is bordeline for squirrels. 6's would be better. I'm going to France tomorrow. If I take my SGC do you know if it would be OK bring a couple of boxes back?

Floating Chamber, I've got a .410 and to be fair it does give a harder punch and of course far more pellets. However, I'd like to see what the 9mm would be like for branching rooklings and taking young squirrels that are too fast and loose for my air rifle to nail them. If it's not up to the job then I'll use the .410.

Problem solved! ;)

I've just re-loaded 7g of number 6's instead of the 7.5g of number 7.5's. Doddle! For the amount of use it will get I don't mind rolling a few of my own. If I cut down the load to 6.4g I can get five from a 32g pigeon shell. :oops:

I was talking to my old mate who has had this calibre for donkey's years. He reckons the modern powder is light years ahead of that in the 1960's and 70's. He's had pigeons and squirrels with his Flobert. In the past he just used it for rats and mice around the allotments.

yes mate take your licence and pass port the gun shop will ask for both of theses they will phone the french authorities <do not know who they phone but they do >and it will all be ok

DO NOT try to smuggle them through customs as they will know about them . hand them to customs and declare them they will be taken from you and given back to you on the other side .

never had a problem before and do it at least twice a year

if you go near lambell look for a little place called pledalic theres a good gun shop there in the village you can not miss it and they speak a bit of english always closed on a saturday

Problem solved! ;)

I've just re-loaded 7g of number 6's instead of the 7.5g of number 7.5's. Doddle! For the amount of use it will get I don't mind rolling a few of my own. If I cut down the load to 6.4g I can get five from a 32g pigeon shell. :oops:

I was talking to my old mate who has had this calibre for donkey's years. He reckons the modern powder is light years ahead of that in the 1960's and 70's. He's had pigeons and squirrels with his Flobert. In the past he just used it for rats and mice around the allotments.

In the 1962/3 winter, I actually witnessed a mate down a flying snipe with a 9mm Webley. In those days, the Fiocchi shell was deemed puny and most of us opted for the Eley 'Double Charge' blackpowder shell. These had a copper base and a green cardboard tube that exited the barrel on firing! All you had to was eject the copper head!

• 2 years later...

i dont have a 9mm but a mate has one and hasnt been able to use it for years because no one around here stocks the carts, but theres a place near brimingham that does and im in birmingham about once a month so i said i would go and get some for him next time im up there but do i need a 9mm on my certificate to be able to buy them?

i dont have a 9mm but a mate has one and hasnt been able to use it for years because no one around here stocks the carts, but theres a place near brimingham that does and im in birmingham about once a month so i said i would go and get some for him next time im up there but do i need a 9mm on my certificate to be able to buy them?

Just show them your shotgun certificate and you can buy them.

I shot my first rabbit with a Flobert 9mm garden gun, took me 18 months !!. I got as close as 5 yards, they seem to be annoyed by teh noise rather than the 1/4 oz or so of shot.

Squirrels are nasty when wounded, the 9mm is best in a grain store or similar against rats, range sub 8 yards. I used to shoot house sparrows with mine, up to about 10 yards. Squirrels I would NOT recommend are tackled with a 9mm despite what its loaded with, just not enough pellets with 6s to give a sure kill unless very close.

A

Used to put 5 and 6 shot in all my Flobert cartridges for Rat shooting,when you are in a confined space you want the b*****s dead and not jumping around your legs.Remove the over shot wad and ,after tipping out the unwanted shot,fill to just under the brim and then wipe a layer of silicone sealant over the top-leave to dry and away you go. :good:

yes mate take your licence and pass port the gun shop will ask for both of theses they will phone the french authorities <do not know who they phone but they do >and it will all be ok

DO NOT try to smuggle them through customs as they will know about them . hand them to customs and declare them they will be taken from you and given back to you on the other side .

never had a problem before and do it at least twice a year

if you go near lambell look for a little place called pledalic theres a good gun shop there in the village you can not miss it and they speak a bit of english always closed on a saturday

Gosh them Frenchies aint got much work in em have they now! LOL

In the 1962/3 winter, I actually witnessed a mate down a flying snipe with a 9mm Webley. In those days, the Fiocchi shell was deemed puny and most of us opted for the Eley 'Double Charge' blackpowder shell. These had a copper base and a green cardboard tube that exited the barrel on firing! All you had to was eject the copper head!

Bloody hell, that brings back memories. I remember that winter-- and the cardboard shells coming out with the load! Did you ever use the cardboard shells with the diamond pattern?--I can't remember whether they were Eley or something else. It woud be irresponsibel to talk about some of the experiments we used to do with garden guns!

Edited by Cottonseed

Would a 9mm dispatch a stupid urban fox caught in a cage trap (at point/blank)?

I normally use the 410 but can be a bit noisey and wakes the neighbours.

i think the muzzle energy is around 80 ft lbs so with the barrel touching its head I suppose it could. Not much room for error though. Obviously you owe it to the animal to dispatch it humanely.