Cartridge and Game bags

I have just got a gun cabinet and applied for my SGC, so I am looking to get a few other bits before I start shooting.

One of the things I will obviously need is a cartridge and game bag.

Any recommendations as to what I should get?

Leather/waxed cotton/canvas/duotex?

Any brands to look out for?

Any bargains around...

I have found the John Shooter cartridge bag in leather for £44 that I quite like. If links are allowed, I will post a link to it.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by goldeneye243

Save yourself some money to buy some decoys with. :good:

If you want something to keep your cartridges in for pigeon shooting, then I would suggest any exArmy type shoulder bag for your back-up supply and put the rest in your coat pockets.

Most shooting type coats can carry 25 cartridges in each pocket easily.

You don't really need a Game Bag for pigeon shooting, as hopefully you will shoot too many pigeons to fit into a Game Bag.

Net onion sacks are good for pigeons.

Game Bags are fine for a quiet walk round for a pheasant or two.

I don't think you need a game bag for the woodies, but I personally find using a cartridge bag really handy in the hide.

I got a Jack Pyke one for under £20 and though it says 100 cartridges, it can take take at least another 25, is strong and sturdy. Anything not built for the job will probably just be a flimsy bag......

I got a jack pyke game bag from ebay and one of the "leather" straps broke on my 5th outing. Just sorting out how to return it today. :shoot:

If you want a cart bag for clays, then a clay shooting vest is, imo, easier to use.

For carts in the field, in the winter they go in my jacket pocket, in the summer I use a cartridge belt. Unless I'm decoying, where they stay in the box and go in my rucksack until needed.

I use a canvas cartridge bag,no need for pigeons but is excellent when lamping rabbits or roost shooting and wouldnt leave home without it.My kit bags are old army rucksack,so many pockets for all the bits and bobs,i also bought a large green holdall (army flight kit) off e-bay for £6 posted,which are now selling for £15,this bag is light,big,fits all the decoys,wobblers,nets with room to spare :blush:

I use a Falconry rucksack.

It has a large bag on the back that can be used to carry camo net, stool & docky, four big front pockets to carry carts & shells.

on the inside it has zipped pockets for carrying certs & permissions.

A couple of D rings on the webbing that FUDS can be hooked on.

It spreads the load wonderfully and I can walk for ages with really heavy loads and still have my hands free for shooting.

They cost £30-£40 from Falconry suppliers.

hi i bought a respirator haversack earlier from my local army surplus store ,It was 7.50 and can hold shed loads of cartridges is camo pattern with a strap and its Brand new . He does mailorder aswell so if you want the details just pm me :yes::yes:

I don't think you need a game bag for the woodies, but I personally find using a cartridge bag really handy in the hide.

I got a Jack Pyke one for under £20 and though it says 100 cartridges, it can take take at least another 25, is strong and sturdy. Anything not built for the job will probably just be a flimsy bag......

Got one myself - see here linky Good quality, look nice and takes more than 100 as Cosd says - I normally have 4 unopened boxes in there plus ear defenders and glasses :blink: