lamping last night

darren m

i went lamping last night , first time for a long while , got myself 5 nice 3/4 bunnies.

i was amazed to see still a lot of young un,s ( 1/4 grown ) running around ( which i will leave till later :lol: ).

Any way it was a good session ( for me any way ) , approx 1 1/2 hours , the only down side was the first bunny , i took the shot at about 30 yards and heard the wack as it impacted into the bunnies shoulder :) damn it , i had underestimated the breeze cutting across the field .

The bunny did,nt move and just sat there , so i carefully lined up for another shot , second shot went right through the left eye ( i saw this through the scope ).

Horrors of horrors as i realised that the rabbit was still alive and started hoping around , 3rd shot was needed and he fliped and died .

i felt terrible and could,nt beleave this had happened :*) , the rest of the session went great , 1 shot 1 kill .

the gun works perfect , the power is bang on the limit , and i am normally a v. good shot , this was all human error sadley.

What i want to ask is , this is the first time i have after placing a head shot that the bunny as not gone down instantly.

As this happened to any one else :beer:.

Darren .

Yep Just last night I lined a bunny up in the scope and let of a subsonic from the rim fire at about 60 yards, Just as I pulled the trigger a beetle or something smacked me in the face and the shot hit the bunny in the rear quater. It had made about 15 yards before I got to it and finished it off.

It happens Im afraid..

Did finish with 7 nice rabbits for the man at the local pub. :beer:

Got a shot off last night and heard it hit home but the bunny bolted. *****r. Anyway I wandered off to the the other side of the field when I heard it screech. This made me feel really bad so I back tracked the 30 yds I had walked and turned the lamp back on. Blow me if it wasn't lying there dead as a door nail about 5yds from where I shot it!

Lesson learnt....... ALWAYS FOLLOW UP ON A SHOT.

Darren, I have seen some very strange things, some that defy beleif. I have noticed that rabbits with mixy can take additional shots at times, dont ask me why. The other thing I have noticed is that a despatched rabbit doesnt always appear despatched. Even though on inspection there is no possible way it could be alive, i'll not go into detail!

Mate of mine was out lamping with the lurchers had about 15 rabbits and chucked them in the back of the car on the way home stopped at a service station to pick up some fags and a drink. he looked in the back of the car and saw this rabbit blinking at him he didnt believe it opened the boot and it jumped out and started running round the forecourt :lol:

No honest rabbit shooter alive has a 100% kill rate mate and with only 12ft lbs of power i can only imagine what your true humane kill rate is having been there myself especially walkabout lamping. :lol:

However even with more power i still slip up from time to time .........it,s just less frequently thats all.

Ive :lol:

most people have had a clean kill run 5 yrds only to drop like a ruck of s""t.

nervous system we all have them ,

come on you heard the one about the chicken

No honest rabbit shooter alive has a 100% kill rate mate and with only 12ft lbs of power i can only imagine what your true humane kill rate is having been there myself especially walkabout lamping.

as long as u shoot 35 yrds or less with 12 ft lds :lol: power means naff all

once after pigeon shooting, threw all the gear dead birds and all into the back of my mate Astra estate, he went home took the gun out left the rest till morning.

next day when he goes to the car several pigeons had reincarnated and crapped all over the inside of the motor.

**** shot then :lol::lol::lol:

my own personal belief there is very little margin for error with any airgun. if its not in the right spot its a runner

Only shoot 12lb so cannot speak from experience....But.....

From some of the things I have read and heard having that extra power that an FAC weapon brings can build a false sense of security.

I think magman has it right.

Both Magman and Ive are right. Having a 12ft/lb airgun is very much going to limit the amount of error margin you have. Having an FAC rated airgun is going to help though, as this will help overcome deviation by wind and elevation. Being able to use a heavier grain weight will create better impact damage.

For my own peice of mind, I am moving on too rimfire and centrefire rounds. Heavier grain weight, fast rate of travel, increased ft/lb, increased impact damage, is all going to massively reduce the margin of error and perform alot better.

Happened to me the other day, shot a giant bunny with the rimmy, thought id hit it in the *** cos it ran. When my mate sent the dog to retrieve it, i had hit it square in the back of the head! Only at forty yards too, the thing still managed to run ten feet or so..

Had to be nerves, no way did that not cause an instant kill!

ive shot a rabbit (in the head) see it bowl over went to collect it and it jumped back on its feet shot it again in the head it flipped right over then got up and ran into the bushes!!

ive also shot hares with a .22 magnum seen 1 shot right through both eyes in one side out the other and had to jump on it as it ran like an exorcet missle past the 4x4!!

I still think its down to the way we perceive things. I mean a headless chicken runs like hell, is it not dead? Surely the humane kill is down to preventing the qaurry from feeling anything. So if that is the case, the quickest way to humanely kill is to place a shot in the brain, surely.

A few weeks back we went out on a shoot and perchanced a few pheasants. I whatched on and was amazed to see one bird stone dead flap its wings for some time before eventually coming to rest. I made a comment and received 'what do you want me to do, kill it again' it certainly made me think about it, perception eh?!. On close inspection of the bird, it was evident it was dead the second the shot hit it.

This happened to me but with a pigeon. I was at my friend's house and we were using a rapid 7. There was a pigeon in the top of a tree, and as the land behind was just pasture with no animals in i realised it was a safe shot. First shot i missed :*) (very high tree :lol: ) but second one hit home in the brain box. I walked over to it and it was still flapping so i shot it again with his pistol in the head to make sure. Then as i was about to pick it up it started flapping again and i shot it another time in the head. 3 shots to the head! Now that MUST be nerves, as the first was a clean shot too.

MH

The trouble with that AXE is along with extra power n flater tragectory come's the longer range shot's you will be taking on!!!!!!!!!!

I think it all comes downto horses for courses.be confidant and carefull with what you have.

As for runners I popped a rabit at 25yds just behind the eye watched the grey matter spray and the little ****** still made 10yds to the hedge befor it lay down.

yisG2g :lol:

Graham, I know what your saying but to be honest if I couldnt succesfully take a long head shot with a .22LR I wouldnt take the shot. However, if it were a more powerful round like a .17HMR I would probably go for a heart/chest shot.

My point was made for the airgunners, who might misread the posts on rimfire and be tempted to use long body shots. Thats not going to work, particluarly with 12ft/lb! Preception plays the part, I have shot many rabbits and then thinking they were still alive but in reality were brain dead.

• 2 weeks later...

iv shot rabbits through both eyes and all it did was blind the poor s*d, i tend to try and shoot them just between the ear and eye straight through the brain always had a instent kill when you hit it , this is with a 12f/lb air gun

regards edd