canada geese

TJ91

can i shoot canada geese on a sunday?

i am wanting another go at them on the flood grass and wheat, they havent been there for the last couple of days but i can see a good few there now..??

need answer asap please!

thanks in advance!

"Before the passing of the wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays could be made under the provisions of sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Although Sunday Orders can still be made under Section 2 (3), none have been made. However, some Sunday Orders made prior to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 have not been repealed and are still in existence. They have the effect of making it illegal to shoot wildfowl on a Sunday in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire" - from BASC

But, I don't know whether the General Licence overrides this, maybe wait until tomorrow to be sure?

can i shoot canada geese on a sunday?

i am wanting another go at them on the flood grass and wheat, they havent been there for the last couple of days but i can see a good few there now..??

need answer asap please!

thanks in advance!

Im pretty sure they need to be causing damage etc to be shot under the general licence,not just because they can be shot out of season :lol: BB

Will you be giving the same advice to someone who wants to shoot pigeon or crows on wheat :lol::D

IMHO canada geese are still wildfowl and not vermin, wildfowl without the protection of the wildlife act closed season in areas where they are causing trouble, and if that is the case then any local by law regarding sunday shooting might have to be obeyed, so until the likes of BASC confirm the situation stick to the info in the post below :D

"Before the passing of the wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays could be made under the provisions of sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Although Sunday Orders can still be made under Section 2 (3), none have been made. However, some Sunday Orders made prior to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 have not been repealed and are still in existence. They have the effect of making it illegal to shoot wildfowl on a Sunday in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire" - from BASC

But, I don't know whether the General Licence overrides this, maybe wait until tomorrow to be sure?

If you intend to shoot them as Wildfowl you will need to comply with the relevant legislation.

If you intend to invoke and comply with the General Licence provisions in England, you can deal with them whenever you like, including Sundays.

:yes:

The General Licence needs to be checked for EACH part of the UK, there are differences!

thanks for the replys

i am shooting them for crop protection and following the rules and regs of the general license.

i just wondered if they could be shot on a sunday as they were there yesterday and i had abit of free time.

i will just stick to shooting them during the week then i know that i am well within the law

again..thanks to those of you who did help!

Would it not be better to put a shot or two over their heads as they are easy to scare off crops set up a banger or flags to keep them off and wait until September when they will provide a much more thriling sporting experiance. Many of the geese you shoot at the monent will be nesting and shortly have goslings.

Edited by anser2

Would it not be better to put a shot or two over their heads as they are easy to scare off crops set up a banger or flags to keep them off and wait until September when they will provide a much more thriling sporting experiance. Many of the geese you shoot at the monent will be nesting and shortly have goslings.

Chap, that is a viewpoint, which you are of course entitled to, however, there is another angle to this altogether, which I might express as below...

I perceive your comment comes from a Wildfowler rather than a Pest Controller. And yes, they are nesting, my last produced several eggs as well as a good meal!...and what does that mean, simple, I have done an even better job of controlling them!!

These birds are a pain in the rear to most inland areas and cause untold grief.

The crass response is simple, if Wildfowlers had been good enough at their "Sport" then Pest Controllers would not have to be working 12 months of the year clearing up these Geese Inland, and they would never have been put on the General License to start with!!

ATB!! :good:

pigeons rabbits etc will all be having or already have young now but they will still be shot, these geese are causing alot of damage and they need to be rid of.

the farmer has bangers set up which they are not bothered about, just like pigeons they get used to them, walking them off does not help and neither does firing over or near them....

as i said... i will be following the conditions of the general license which means exhausting every non lethal method of getting them off the land they are destroyin!

Chap, that is a viewpoint, which you are of course entitled to, however, there is another angle to this altogether, which I might express as below...

I perceive your comment comes from a Wildfowler rather than a Pest Controller. And yes, they are nesting, my last produced several eggs as well as a good meal!...and what does that mean, simple, I have done an even better job of controlling them!!

These birds are a pain in the rear to most inland areas and cause untold grief.

The crass response is simple, if Wildfowlers had been good enough at their "Sport" then Pest Controllers would not have to be working 12 months of the year clearing up these Geese Inland, and they would never have been put on the General License to start with!!

ATB!! :good:

Top reply. this made me chuckle.lmao.

Phil.

Kill the canadas! Kill them all! By any means possible. They are evil.

And when they are all gone we will all have lost a valuable sporting quarry.

Such a pity that some of you blokes don`t know the difference between sporting shooting, legitimate pest control and just killing things because you can.

Kill the canadas! Kill them all! By any means possible. They are evil.

And when they are all gone we will all have lost a valuable sporting quarry.

Such a pity that some of you blokes don`t know the difference between sporting shooting, legitimate pest control and just killing things because you can.

:good::yes::lol::lol: Thats exactly what i think mate,too many willing to shoot for the sake of shooting,i understand if they are causing a nuisance or crop damage,then fine shoot them,however i dont agree with shooting them just for the sake of shooting ;)

TJ91 if you want to be honest there is an easy way to keep canada geese off a crop or move them off a roost and out of the area. Firework scare bird rockets. I have seen it done many , many times very effective and it will push the birds away for a long time if done properly. Indeed I know farm where it was done and the birds have never returned 4 years after . Wildsfowl are very special birds too special to be classed as mear vermin.

Canada numbers have collapsed in my county of Norfolk. At Holkham numbers have droped from 1500 - 2000 20 years ago to less than 100 , In the Wensum valley numbers have dropped from 250 to less than 40 following a number of pest goose culls and increasing compertition from greylag geese. The last thing they need is wide spread culling across the country unless it is the aim of the powers that be to exterminate them as they are not native birds. If so what next .... pheasants perhaps ...they can do a lot of dammage to sprouting corn at this time of year..

Come on BASC its time you started to lobby for their removal from the pest list and back onto the quarry list. You did in Wales , why not England ?

Edited by anser2

:blush: :look: Guys there is a very good reason why Canada geese are on the general license, a field of emerging wheat can be decimated in a few days, the problem can be much worse than it is with pigeons and crows.

In much the same way as hare is shot in great numbers in some parts of the country with daily bags reaching well past the 100 mark and yet in other parts is held in high regard, never to be shot because the numbers are so low, Canada geese exist in large numbers and can be a real pain.

Will you be so quick to say no to your farmers when they have problems with Canada geese? Will you be citing that the geese deserve a more sporting chance? Will you tell Mr Giles that the sprouting beans will have to wait until September because I don’t want to loose my winter sport? If you do I have a feeling you'd be loosing all your sport because the farmer will not be wanting to loose money and will very easily loose you!

Anser2 be careful what you wish for! Just because numbers around you have dropped, well to be fair that is a little selfish just to consider your immediate area, numbers around here are high and farmers are loosing crops, not a jot can be done about it.

:blush: :look: :D:D Thats exactly what i think mate,too many willing to shoot for the sake of shooting,i understand if they are causing a nuisance or crop damage,then fine shoot them,however i dont agree with shooting them just for the sake of shooting B)

So sporting shooting is not done just because you can? There's a bucket full of hypocrisy for you given how many sporting birds are bred for exactly that purpose, puh-lease!

I personally shoot because I want to, and because I wish to excercise my right to shoot, and to have a good reason to possess firearms and learn and retain the ability to use them.

Since you don't shoot things because you WANT to - what causes you own a gun and shoot things?

Edited by Dave-G

So sporting shooting is not done just because you can? There's a bucket full of hypocrisy for you given how many sporting birds are bred for exactly that purpose, puh-lease!

I personally shoot because I want to, and because I wish to excercise my right to shoot, and to have a good reason to possess firearms and learn and retain the ability to use them.

Since you don't shoot things because you WANT to - what causes you own a gun and shoot things?

:blush:

if you want to be honest there is an easy way to keep canada geese off a crop or move them off a roost and out of the area. Firework scare bird rockets. I have seen it done many , many times very effective and it will push the birds away for a long time if done properly. Indeed I know farm where it was done and the birds have never returned 4 years after

It wasn't the fireworks that kept them off - for sure. The geese on my permission had all that, and they just fly off for the day and land a couple of fields away. We kept chasing them around like that, now a couple at a time, they end up on the table and we keep numbers down. We don't go for the "eradicate" method that some people like to employ, we keep the numbers under control, damage is kept to a minimum, and we all live together happily.

You justify your reasons to shoot and i will justify mine :lol: i was merely making a rational post,i will however leave the personal attacks to you :/ atb BB

and your words above,what causes you to shoot things? what are things? ive never come across these on the general licence,or should it read anything?

Edited by Bluebarrels

You justify your reasons to shoot and i will justify mine :yes: i was merely making a rational post,i will however leave the personal attacks to you :yes: atb BB Ie (i dont need to justify anything to you)

No personal attacks here BB, just a statement of fact, if you need an explanation here is an example of hypocrisy: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You condemn "too many's" reason for shooting uninvited pests as doing it because they can - yet you also do it because you can - and possibly even pay towards someone to pen and rear things for you to do it because you can, which would put quarry in a nice easy place for a reasonable gauntlet - or bag as you might call it?

None of us should need to justify our shooting on this forum - nor attack others for their shooting surely? But if an attack is made about a shooting discipline you can't blame people for defending it or turning it back on someone.

Let's think back a bit, fairly and rationally... You did attack some peoples reasoning for shooting geese right?

The terms of the general licence is that only after other methods of scaring are tried should shooting be used. Geese are very easy to scare believe me. On one of my farms I can have upwards of 6,000 geese on it every winter. I flight the geese in season on the marsh , but have never found it necessary to shoot them on the farm. If they are causing problems on a crop a couple of firework rockets scare the hell out of them, . The farmer moans like hell at time about them , but I simple move them onto fields where they will cause no harm. They soon learn that if they go on the wheat or barley fields they get rocketed and stick to grass , stubbles and harvested beet fields.

The worst problem we had was with Canada’s fouling fishing stages on a small lake , but even here a couple of shots over their heads and a couple of rockets did the trick , though it did need a couple of attempts for success they took the hint and now flee as soon as a shot is fired.

In exceptional cases it may be necessary to cull the odd bird , but geese are very intelligent birds and will quickly get the message. Pheasants do a lot of damage too at this time of year . I have seen bad damage to the fringes around sprouting corn fields . Perhaps we should think about shooting them too in the breeding season. There is a time and place for everything and spring is not the time to shoot geese. Just think what a hayday the anti brigade will have with shooting geese in the spring time.

Edited by anser2