Changing internet provider

christy

My pc gets well slow in the evenings. I've done a defrag and used some other clean up device recently but nothing really changed. The finger of suspicion is now pointing firmly at Tiscali.com.

Also, we pay 17.99 for Tiscali, 14.99 for BT anytime and 21.00 for Sky tv-all monthly. Methinks I need a package deal. A) I would save some dosh and :lol: get a better broadband sevice.

What do you think? Are Tiscali any good? I should point out that we live in the sticks so no cable only BT line to work from.

Shall I change and who to???

Any advice greatly appreciated ta.

My pc gets well slow in the evenings. I've done a defrag and used some other clean up device recently but nothing really changed. The finger of suspicion is now pointing firmly at Tiscali.com.

Also, we pay 17.99 for Tiscali, 14.99 for BT anytime and 21.00 for Sky tv-all monthly. Methinks I need a package deal. A) I would save some dosh and :lol: get a better broadband sevice.

What do you think? Are Tiscali any good? I should point out that we live in the sticks so no cable only BT line to work from.

Shall I change and who to???

Any advice greatly appreciated ta.

To be honest I think they are all dodgy but after messing around trying to find "the best individual package" although they have there faults Ill stay with Sky, I have the Surf, See, and Talk package, its convenient and for me, and to date they have been quite quick to respond although IM sure we about to hear the truth :yes: threatening to cancel is a good one its amazing what extra's or discounts you will get. :yes::good::lol:

Alan

Also with Tiscali & only getting .5Mb/sec. Threatened to change and were offered a better inclusive phone deal with 6Mb/sec for less money.

Have now been waiting 3 weeks for BT to upgrade our line.

If you're not with BT they just extract the urine, four weeks for a repair is not uncommon, they have everybody by the testicles and they know it. If you are with them you just suffer from their incredible inefficiency & "couldn't care less" attitude.

And I speak as an ex BT employee!

Hi how are you ?, I have had problems with all especially bt!! we are now with sky we get internet,phone and hd tv with two boxes (one down stairs and one up) we also asked them to wave the installation fee so we payed nothing to get it sorted with all channels bar the sports ones and we pay 55-60 pound a month (and you get no hidden fees like bt) .

They also do there own landline instead of bt's one which i will be sorting in june .All in all sky will see you right :yes:

Unfortunately in general connection speed will always decrease at peak times (evenings) as more people try to share the same amount of bandwidth, think motorways at rush hour and six o’clock Sunday morning.

The local loop will always be the problem with BT owning the last mile of copper. Until that changes (maybe the Sky thing above or Virgin cable) thing won’t improve.

Dont go with AOL. Shocking connetion errors where i am. Spends most of the time off then on. Tried to get my mrs to change and the numbty then went a signed up for another 12 months of the ****. I was up for BT Internet. My mate has changed from AOL to BT and he's had no trouble not so ever.

I find Virgin to be the most reliable network provider purely on the basis that they use fibre optic cables. The performance is by far the closest to the quoted speeds, than any provider I have tried. My brother uses Sky, and when we tested his connection speed, he was paying for "Up to 8mb" and was actually getting just under 1.5mb, where as I was paying for "Up to 4mb" with Virgin and getting just over 3.5mb.

Like a few have said already, any of the BT line providers do have busy periods and the service slows down, but I have never found this with Virgin.

This is just my experience, someone may well disagree, but I wouldn't change them for anyone.

Have to say I am with aol and the speed is not great. havnt changed as I cant be bothered to changing my e mail address, same with mobile, I have been with vodaphone for the last 20 years

doc

I can chuck my 2 pence worth in regarding mobiles. I was with orange for yonks. Reception (were I live) was cat, the cost astronomical. Changed to o2 that became talk talk. Happy days, great reception, 150 mins and 300 txts for less that 12 quid per month. Recommed that one.

Hi

I have been with Virgin for several years now and (touch wood) no problems so far (they upgraded the router for a faster one).

The capacity issue at peak daytime use periods will always arise even at the faster speeds due to what they call 'shaping'- unless you go for the top speed but at premium cost.

I have benefitted at each 'area upgrade' when they increase say 4MB to 10, which is done on a rolling programme around the country.......and they have also provided a digibox? for their version of channels.

Depends on what it is used for really - downloading overnight is pretty swift.

Cheers

With my refusal to use a talk talk phone and their offer to increase my connection/download speed, Talk talk whopped up my debit to £19.99 a month :yes: I live so far from the exchange that my connection speeds did not increase and so all I got was a increased bill.

About an hour ago I rang Talk Talk to cancel and get my MAC code, it was hard work though, they didn't want me to go :yes: eventually the guy at the other end gave up bleating and ran out of empty promises and I now have my MAC code, I have 30 days to make up my mind before the code expires but I think I'll go over to BT they have some good offers at the moment :yes: