55yards seems to be the magic number

Colster

Always zeroed my .22LR at 60 yards but recently gave chairgun a try and that suggested that 55 (well 54.7 to be precise) would be better.

So yesterday re-zeroed to 55yards which according to Chairgun will give me an "aim straight at it" range from 12yards to 62yards based on a 1" killzone.

..and tonight took it out on the rabbits

post-17403-1270603591.jpg

Job done, I'd say!

Good shooting pal, where do you get the software from? I may have to give it a go and see what it says :yes:

http://www.chairgun.com/

I find it will sometimes say it's going to email you a link and sometimes takes you straight to the download page once you enter an email address. If it says it's sending a link do it again as it never does.

It's intended for airguns/pellets but you can put in the fps, ballistic coefficient and weight for a rimfire round. I was using Winchester Subs.

i read in a mag the other week where some guy had done one of these ballistic charts and he said he found 75 to be the best i am not to sure on this really but everyone to there own

colster whats the ballistic coefficient for Winchester Subs if you dont mind me asking as i might have a play with chair gun later on

i read in a mag the other week where some guy had done one of these ballistic charts and he said he found 75 to be the best i am not to sure on this really but everyone to there own

colster whats the ballistic coefficient for Winchester Subs if you dont mind me asking as i might have a play with chair gun later on

I used 0.138 for Winchester Subs with a weight of 40.3gr and 1065 FPS

Here's two chairgun graphs for 55 and 75 yards, 75 yards would give you a huge mid range which would need holding under, that's what I was trying to avoid. Chairgun will actually tell you the optimum range to zero at. The pink areas are the ranges you could aim straight at the target with a half-inch deviation. For 75 yards that would equate to targets at 10-20yards and 70-80yards. For those you could go straight at it, anything in the middle would require hold-under.

With a 55yard zero you can "aim at" targets from 12.6 all the way to 61.9yards with no real need to adjust your aim.

post-17403-1270626383.jpgpost-17403-1270625963.jpg[

Edited by Colster

how do you find the ballistic coefficient. i never have understood this so it does my head in.

Phil.

It's basically a measure of how efficiently something flies so it would be established by using two chronograph readings one at the muzzle and another at a known distance then calculating the amount of energy lost over that distance.

Usually bullet manufacturers publish this info on their website but I got the figure from Wymberley on this forum thread - http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...=120884&hl=