How thick does my protection need to be ?

ME

:rolleyes: 20mm, my Hmr will go through 10mm at close range.!! :lol:

Thats 2 centimetres or nearly an inch.... :good:

Cost isnt an issue as I take my boy out with us, but an inch thick will weigh and cost a lot...

:good: 20mm, my Hmr will go through 10mm at close range.!! :rolleyes:

Presumably this was mild steel, though, Baz

What you need is thinner armour plate like (for example) from these guys

Bullet-proof!

ps - used to work for a defence company many moons ago making turrets for armoured cars

plexiglass yes, Or and this may sound daft, build a wooden box, say 3/4 ply to suit the size you need and internally 6 inches wide and fill it with sand, check out the box o truth, 6 inches of sand stops the lot, .22, .223, 12 gauge slug :rolleyes: may even be lighter than an inch of steel :good:

Edited by Paul223

silly question but if you lamp with rifles on a bipod on the roof how exactly do you propose trying to shoot the driver?

I'd just stick some ply under the soft top to give a stable base and job done. We lamp regularly from my L200 and you sit a lot further back but if shooting from a bipod it is impossible to put one through the roof

silly question but if you lamp with rifles on a bipod on the roof how exactly do you propose trying to shoot the driver?

I'd just stick some ply under the soft top to give a stable base and job done. We lamp regularly from my L200 and you sit a lot further back but if shooting from a bipod it is impossible to put one through the roof

I will add to that, nothing is impossible but I doubt you will ever have any issues, after all the chances of the bullet coming through the sunroof is remote. What about the rest of the roof?

We dont use bipods and two of the Rugers are shortened to 12" and 14".

After bouncing around on the back last night I wouldnt want to take the risk. My eldest lad comes with us sometimes and I want him and the driver to be safe.

If you can angle the sheet 45 degrees, you'll double the thickness the bullet needs to penetrate, thus halving the total weight you'd use.

An HMR will go through an alarmingly thick piece of metal at close range.

Edited by harfordwmj

get bipods then and keep the rifles on the roof the muzzle even when shortened should be almost over their heads. On mine the safety is always on and usually I just pick the rifle up if we're coming out of a field etc and its likely to be bouncy. look at technique before worrying too much with bullet proofing the entire truck. Then make sure the driver goes at a reasonable speed and you will be fine. Afterall where do you stop, putting something up to stop a centrefire round at close range? As ever always note where the barrels are pointed and you won't have a safety issue. I would put a solid roof on it so you have a decent rest but thats about it

Please tell me this is a joke? :rolleyes:

When lamping you should drive slowly enough to not be bounced all over the truck. If for any reason you need to get the pace up a bit lock the bolt open and apply the safety until you need to shoot. All you need to do is tug the bolt handle and release it and you're ready to go.

Armour plated roof... You're having a laugh! :good:

<serious hat on>

You don't need it ME... so long as the shooters are trustworthy, and know how to safely load / unload - and store said firearms whilst on top - you should be fine.

Although I'm partly deaf in my right ear from Stealth Stalkers 243 now - It helps not to have the window fully open, when a centrefire is fired 6 inches above your head :good:

GB