shot size

tikka tom

Guest cookoff013
Gamebore, Hull Cartridge, Express, Fiocchi all sell "pigeon" branded loads. They are all loaded with no 6. This tells me something. I've tried other sizes but 6's are nigh on perfect.

An ounce of 7's is a nice load to take to the hide if you are sure they will decoy fairly close as is 32g of fives when you are roost shooting in a tall wood or flight shooting.

Eleys range is in 6.5 and they are a mighty fine cartridge for the job as well.

they all sell pigeon branded cartridges, the cost reduction is usually in the components. cheaper powder, cheaper lead, cheaper wads.

one shotsize reduces cost too. that shot size is just often "the classic 6"

when a cartridge product goes on sale, companies have a budget for advertising.

the high performance pheseant carts have full page spread advertising. the pigeon cartridges have 1/4 a page (or none at all.)

the consumer pays for the advertising with the increased price.

if only they sold "white box" cartridges with a stamp as the load. they should be revolutionary cheap.

saying that it costs a fortune to ship lead everywhere (petrol) so any savings can be quickly eaten up by petrol prices.

• 2 weeks later...
what shot size should i be useing for decoying pigeons thanks

The late famous Archie Coates who probably shot more pigeon over decoys than anyone before or since ended up using Ely Grand Prix no 7 shot. The old maxim that "Pattern fails before penetration" is as true today as it was 40 years ago, i.e use too big a shot size and the pattern gets too open for consistent kills. Using modest chokes say improved cylinder up to 1/2 choke you will kill very well with 7's, 6.5s or 6's up to 40yds. Hope that helps.

all depends really! what choke u use. how far u set up your deek's. one example i set my deek's up at 30-45 yards away from my hide ( yards measured in big steps) i use a half choke in my bottom barrel (witch should be fired first) and a 3/4 in the top (second). with your set up somthin like this i use anythin from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. if u point the gun in the right place and shoot, you'll be onto a winner anyway. you should not worry to much about your size of shot without bein silly a.

Just read this thread. Anything coming head on and dropping into the decoys 35+ yds out gets the left barrel. I thought that having 2 barrels whichever way they're stacked is to give you a choice.

Cheers

The late famous Archie Coates who probably shot more pigeon over decoys than anyone before or since ended up using Ely Grand Prix no 7 shot. The old maxim that "Pattern fails before penetration" is as true today as it was 40 years ago, i.e use too big a shot size and the pattern gets too open for consistent kills. Using modest chokes say improved cylinder up to 1/2 choke you will kill very well with 7's, 6.5s or 6's up to 40yds. Hope that helps.

Interestingly in the George Digweed video, posted on here yesterday (?), he was using Gamebore Pigeon Extreme 34g 5's. Having shot the best part of 700 pigeons in one day he must be doing something right.

Just goes to show that even the "experts" don't agree.

HW682

No.6 do the job nicely. Don't get too concerned over 6 or 6.5. You just need to pick a cart and stick with it. Learn how to use it and you will be fine. Also, if you can, use a pattern board or a big bit of cardboard to check how the cartridge works with your gun and chokes.

Thats a difinate, i'm a novice and done my first pattern test on 4 cartridges tonight, the difference is shocking.

Interestingly in the George Digweed video, posted on here yesterday (?), he was using Gamebore Pigeon Extreme 34g 5's. Having shot the best part of 700 pigeons in one day he must be doing something right.

Just goes to show that even the "experts" don't agree.

HW682

I'm sure that if the Min of Ag had provided 34g 5s the old boy would have used them. They didn't so he didn't and by the time that all ceased he was sufficiently skilled in his trade that they weren't necessary anyway.

• 1 month later...
Thats a difinate, i'm a novice and done my first pattern test on 4 cartridges tonight, the difference is shocking.

Thats the key every shotgun and person will pattern differently with different cartridges the best thing to do is pattern it yourself but a usefull rule is the greater the weight of shot the looser the pattern tends to get also the larger the shot size the looser the pattern tends to get.

for shooting birds generally 7.5 - 5's are the shot sizes used and as has been pointed out before 6's are what most of the name brands are using so i would say would be a good place to start offering a good balance between energy (not so much that it will destroy the meat)and pattern density.

For game most start from a 6 for rabbit and then it depends what the largest animal your likely to shoot is hare?, Fox? etc

in conclusion i usually load shot size 6 with 5 as a back up if i want slightly more punch (and incidently my gun likes lyalvale express supreme game 32g 6's and hull three crown 30g 5's - it is cylinder and improved cylinder choke)

Edited by JamesLeic