shot size

tikka tom

all depends really! what choke u use. how far u set up your deek's. one example i set my deek's up at 30-45 yards away from my hide ( yards measured in big steps) i use a half choke in my bottom barrel (witch should be fired first) and a 3/4 in the top (second). with your set up somthin like this i use anythin from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. if u point the gun in the right place and shoot, you'll be onto a winner anyway. you should not worry to much about your size of shot without bein silly a.

was out y.day using a dolly mixture of shells, 5, 6, 7.5 from 28g to 32g didnt see what i had used till cleaning up at the end of the day and there were emptys from all the size's and weights mentioned and they all had killed well using cylinder and improved cylinder, i found when starting out i was to hung up on trying different shells and changing chokes and trying out too technical styles of shooting and when i didnt work out i changed something else, now im not as cartridge fussy, rarely change chokes and try not to think about my technique as much when taking a shot, and im doing a lot better. hope thie helps, cheers

You will not go far wrong with no 6 , but anything between 7s and 5s will do the job in lead over decoys. My first choice 28 gr of no 6. They will be a lot lighter on the sholder after that big day on the pigeons. I am not sure I would want to use anything smaller than 30 or 32 gr of no 6 for roost shooting .

Gamebore, Hull Cartridge, Express, Fiocchi all sell "pigeon" branded loads. They are all loaded with no 6. This tells me something. I've tried other sizes but 6's are nigh on perfect.

An ounce of 7's is a nice load to take to the hide if you are sure they will decoy fairly close as is 32g of fives when you are roost shooting in a tall wood or flight shooting.

Eleys range is in 6.5 and they are a mighty fine cartridge for the job as well.