Advice please

Im looking around to buy 1000 bargin cartridges and have just found the two listed below.

Any ideas which I should go for? either, neither etc.

I know this is probably boring for some of you old pros! my posts usually are but any decent advice would be welcome or if you cant manage that a good P*&& take would do!

Im going to be shooting some pigeons and some clays (not competition just a blast every now and then!)

Cheers

Shippy

ps yes price is a bit of an issue.

Gamebore Kent Velocity 28g plastic 7.5

Gamebore Kent Velocity 28g fibre 7.5

Hi

I've used the kents in plastic form for clays and they seemed fine, have you tried eley firsts or dianas cos they are just as cheap or cheaper still? I wouldnt go any lower than 28g for pigeons. Ive also used some lyvdale 28g 7.5 for culling doves last week and they were just as good as 6s, but im not sure how much they were cos i was given them :)

Hope this helps

Tom ;)

Kents and Eley firsts kick quite badly, I have a slab of Firsts mixed with Hull Comp X and its amazing how different the recoil is from each load, both being 28g plastics. In future I will spend the extra pennies and go for the Comp because they just make the day out that much nicer.

;) Kent velocities kick like a mule and loosen your fillings, however would be better if you HAVE to use an innappropriate load for pigeons.

Most of the Essex Mafia use Eley first and you would have to be Gay or very sensitive or both to think that they are punchy!!! :)

Edited by Evil Elvis

All the bottom priced cartridges like the Kent Velocity, Express english sporter, eley first etc will use fast burning powder, as it requires less powder in each cartridge and is cheaper than slow burning powder.

Slow burning powder gives less recoil than fast burning powder as it reaches peak pressure slower and gives a more progress push of the shot up the barrel for longer.

The difference in recoil between the "budget" priced cartridges, may just be thier velocity, Hull Comp X are 1375 ft/sec I think Kent Velocity are in the 1400ft/sec.

So you pays your money takes your choice.

All the bottom priced cartridges like the Kent Velocity, Express english sporter, eley first etc will use fast burning powder, as it requires less powder in each cartridge and is cheaper than slow burning powder.

Slow burning powder gives less recoil than fast burning powder as it reaches peak pressure slower and gives a more progress push of the shot up the barrel for longer.

The difference in recoil between the "budget" priced cartridges, may just be thier velocity, Hull Comp X are 1375 ft/sec I think Kent Velocity are in the 1400ft/sec.

So you pays your money takes your choice.

Have used both for clays. My son prefers the Kent 28g where I use CompX 21g and would not do him a swap. I hardly notice the recoil. Not used either for pigeons at present using 30g No6 fibre as price is less of an issue for game (With my son at 16 we get through at least 200 clay cartridges per week)

Thanks for the advice, yep you pays your money etc. Im going to try the Kents and mix the shot size & weight appropriatly!

Been used to shooting my AYA Yeoman for ages and got a shoulder like a bulls butt cheeks from that so recoil may be ok?

Ps no less than a No6 for pigeons! I get it (Evil Elvis) and do me a favour sort out a topless picture of your bird bouncing them for us please.