What cartridge for rabbits

Hi all i'm just sat here wondering what sort of cartridge would give me the best distance & stopping power in my urika for rabbits .So waht sort do you lot reccomend .I've not had any probs using the same carts as i do for clays but just wondered if i could gain a few more yards with someting else .cheers marcus

Guest cookoff013

if i was destroying them as a pest, and i wasnt harvesting meat i`d use 36g #4. but that was with set up distances, and clearing up with longer shots when the other shooter is reloading. i only use that cartridge when i`m a back up shooter.

normaly if i was shooting normal ranges i`d use 32g #5.

my friend uses 30g #6 and they are alright.

if i was destroying them as a pest, and i wasnt harvesting meat i`d use 36g #4. but that was with set up distances, and clearing up with longer shots when the other shooter is reloading. i only use that cartridge when i`m a back up shooter.

normaly if i was shooting normal ranges i`d use 32g #5.

my friend uses 30g #6 and they are alright.

30g of 6's works a treat if there close and quick shots, 32g 5's works perfectly out to a good range for eating , but if im clearing them out as a pest and shooting them at range aswell, and theres a special on down at the local gunshop :good: (42g 3's of buffalos £4.56) they do the job pretty well :angry: normally the .410 does really well with 12g of no.5's out to 25-30ish yards ......

i use all round game bore super game 32grms #6s for everything....pigeons,crows, rabbits and tree rats...

never fail...a lot of bang for your pennys.... ;)

There is the answer. Pick a cartridge and stick with it. I carry a cartridge belt that has mostly 30g no.6 Eley cartridges with some 34g no.1's for fox, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
There is the answer. Pick a cartridge and stick with it. I carry a cartridge belt that has mostly 30g no.6 Eley cartridges with some 34g no.1's for fox, just in case.

agreed although i tend to use two :blink: Lyalvale Supreme Game 32g 6's, Hull Three Crown's 30g 5's - my standby fox round is going to be threecrowns buckshot 31g AAA when i can save up enough to buy some (getting married in august)

i agree with westcountryman, pick a cartridge and stick with it! only on occassion should you change- say for foxes or clays. i shoot rabbits pigeions rooks with a 6-1/2 shot. makes rabbits and pigeons edible. also i reframe from long shot's as i cannot stand watching a rabbit crawling back to the hedge with two feet! i have seen it once or twice! it's horrible. the feeling of a clean kill is amazing but we all have to take the bad with the good. when u see that a few times. u will know when a rabbit is out of range.