first fox cub on my permission

SSS

Me and chunkyed went out again tonight for a drive round a few farms and see what's about.

We arrived at 2300 and got set up. Drove round a few fields and had a look. Nothing at first but we were persistent.

After we had been around all of the land, we pulled onto the long drive and put the lamp on. There was a pair of eyes about 150 yards away, so we got out of the truck, got downwind and started squeaking.

The fox showed interest at first, and came to about 60 yards away and stopped. It would not come any further in.

Me and Ed squeaked for about 20 minutes with no joy, it stayed put. We gave up at that point and moved on.

In the field after next, we spotted another pair of eyes, shining like diamonds in the distance. I switched the truck off, ed got out and I gave a call on the WAM, it was a dog fox and it came straight for us. I thought it was Eds time to shine at last, turns out it wasn't.

Charlie got to about 30 yards and stopped. Ed didn't pull the trigger and the fox ran. I guess he didn't feel comfortable not knowing the range very well at night.

Never mind, its there for next time. We turned around and headed back to the yard. In the very far distance, I picked out another pair of eyes in the wood.

We headed that direction and called again. I picked up the eyes again in the wood. We sat for a few minutes, but these eyes didn't move very much. All of a sudden there was another pair there.

It can only be one thing I thought, cubs. We got the battery and guns and headed into the wood.

The vixen dissapeared, so we kept looking. Down the bottom of a very steep bank, I saw 2 cubs playing, and took the opportunity, shot one, but lost the other. I was hoping for the vixen and both cubs, but it wasn't to be.

I have to say, they are lovely looking animals when they are cubs, its just ashame they get big and kill everything! Any way, a lovely looking vixen cub.

post-17767-1273284164.jpg

good one on the Cub- you say the 1st Fox came to within 60 yards??? how come it wasnt shot & can ask what calibre rifle you were using?

Les :good:

im going to take a guess here and say shotgun. one at 60 and not taken the one at 30 and not knowing the range.

i would also agree with the poster saying about leaving the easy pickings till later and just concentrate on the older ones for now as you might find then mother teaches the young one to stay away from bright lights.

still one less to worry the game and lambs

Phil

Sam,.

best thing to do would be to find out where they are, as said she may have moved them now, lay up with your rifle and control them that way, you could possibly sit in you truck all night with you flask, butties and other half waiting for them to show. As said take the vixen first and the cubs will come to her.

Edited by Dougy

Good job again fella.Not a dig in anyway,but personally i would have taken the vixen first.Usually the wee lads will **** about near her and present a shot.Get your thinking on the starvation though and its not a bad way to think.Hopefully you will catch up with the rest soon.

Good job again fella.Not a dig in anyway,but personally i would have taken the vixen first.Usually the wee lads will **** about near her and present a shot.Get your thinking on the starvation though and its not a bad way to think.Hopefully you will catch up with the rest soon.

To be honest, if the vixen had presented the shot before i saw the cubs, I would have done, hopefully they will be there for another night anyway :good: