Hypa flaps on a magnet

Dr_T

I'm just starting out decoying and would appreciate some advice. Are hypa flaps worth buying for a magnet or should I just wait for a few birds and use the real thing? Thanks.
i bought a pair 2 years ago i have only used them on the rotary about 3 times you need to have a speed control for your rotary otherwise they spin to fast and flap erratically but my control stopped working so haven;t bothered with em since but i somtimes put 1 on a floater and they work very well. but my advice always have 2 dead birds in your freezer and take em out day before you shoot can,t beat real birds.

i bought a pair 2 years ago i have only used them on the rotary about 3 times you need to have a speed control for your rotary otherwise they spin to fast and flap erratically but my control stopped working so haven;t bothered with em since but i somtimes put 1 on a floater and they work very well. but my advice always have 2 dead birds in your freezer and take em out day before you shoot can,t beat real birds.

Thanks yickdaz. I've have to be patient for the first outing then using my 10 flocked shells for starters. I'll have to speak nicely to the wife for permission to use the freezer! :good:

I have to disagree, I think the Hyper's work well on the rotary and on the bouncer.

When the birds are playing ball they work really well, when the birds ain't playing ball even real birds won't pull them in. Like anything you can't beat the real thing, but these are damn close in the way of success for pulling in the woodies.

My best day of 76 (picture on my avatar) was had using two Hyperflaps on the magnet.....I don't think if we changed to real birds the count would have been any more!

Edited by Cosd

Dont bother they are **** mate. Get a magnet that holds real birds you carnt beat the real thing. Good luck mate :good:

could not dissagree more they work very well indeed, one of the few best decoys ever!! that actually work.

KW

Thanks Cosd, Cranfield and kdubya. I was thinking about hypa flaps since they are lightweight and easy to carry. Takes the pressure off shooting a few before I can set up the rotary. Also since I only have a 7ah battery with a speed controller I was thinking the hypa flaps should lower the current draw and makes the battery last longer (all day I hope). Your comments are very helpful, thanks.

I use hypa's on the magnet too, think they work great, very life like, many a time Ive nearly taken a shot at them ;)

oh, and buy yourself a chest freezer for the shed, if you think she'll moan at two dead pigeons in the freezer, what happens if you come home with 50 plus

Edited by stubby

I'm just starting out decoying and would appreciate some advice. Are hypa flaps worth buying for a magnet or should I just wait for a few birds and use the real thing? Thanks.

i used mine yesterday over peas ,, was pulling birds in from allover had a great day,,, mine have the 3d heads well worth the investment,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Stubby and Will 123 for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to invest in a pair with 3D heads and give them a go.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll feed back my initial experiences. I hope to trial them this weekend over peas if they arrive in time ;)

Though i mostly use dead birds on my magnets, the first time i used hypa-flaps i shot 202 on a wheat stubble.They can be just as good as dead birds but i always keep dead birds in my fridge - so i don't tend to use them too often.

Thanks Stubby and Will 123 for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to invest in a pair with 3D heads and give them a go.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll feed back my initial experiences. I hope to trial them this weekend over peas if they arrive in time :big_boss:

Take your time with them set them up right and get the speed for wind strength RIGHT and they are very very effective, stick em straight on and just set em away without any thought and you will be making comments like The ODD one posted earlier.

KW

nice 1...... tell us how you get on.... WILL..

Well, used the rotary and new hypa flaps yesterday on peas. Within minutes it was bringing them in! Even a passing cyclist (on a path behind me over a ditch) commented how life-like they were! Because of the proximity to the cycle path I notified the local Police, giving them my OS grid reference location. I was impressed overall with their performance and the rotary was still going strong after six hours using a 7ah battery. My position wasn't the best (no foliage behind me) and the wind kept moving the hide poles! I need to take guy ropes next time! Cheers. :good:

Edited by Dr_T

Well, used the rotary and new hypa flaps yesterday on peas. Within minutes it was bring them in! Even a passing cyclist (on a path behind me over a ditch) commented how life-like they were! Because of the proximity to the cycle path I notified the local Police, giving them my OS grid reference. I was impressed overall with their performance and the rotary was still going strong after six hours using a 7ah battery. My position wasn't the best (no foliage behind me) and the wind kept moving the hide poles! I need to take guy ropes next time! Cheers. :good:

pleased you got on with them alright,,, as with everything it all comes with experience,,, im new to pigeon shooting my self ,,,

was shooting over peas yesterday on my friends permission had a great day and was hitting everything ,, got my first right and left,,,,,,,,,,, will

I use Hypa flaps on the rotary to good effect, with and without a speed controller.

Most of the time I don't bother changing over to dead birds, they certainly make the battery last a lot longer.

They are also good on floater/bouncers.

hi new to pigeon shooting and i have 3 rape fields to shoot on what are is a hypa flaper dose rape pull in the pigeons now its in full bloom?

• 1 month later...
Thanks Cosd, Cranfield and kdubya. I was thinking about hypa flaps since they are lightweight and easy to carry. Takes the pressure off shooting a few before I can set up the rotary. Also since I only have a 7ah battery with a speed controller I was thinking the hypa flaps should lower the current draw and makes the battery last longer (all day I hope). Your comments are very helpful, thanks.

I'm pleased you went for these they are a great bit of kit. Like you said they are so light, I carry two Hyperflaps and 24 Silosock decoys and they fit into my spinning top bucket seat, and as an added benefit to that they are also lighter than 12 shell decoys.

Just remember, they sometimes work really well, but if you see they don't like them, don't be scared to change to real birds when you shoot a couple.

Enjoy......

Cos