Trap is set!

adam f

Well after the fox attack fiasco the other week, Ive knocked together a trap, and have been baiting it the past 5 nights. It's been empty by the morning.

Charlie also seems to be getting bolder... Ive seen him every evening since the attack... even sniffing the back door at one point!

SO! The trap is outside with a freshly shot rabbit carcass inside coutesy of my permission next door - what will the morning bring??

Question - Once charlie is fast asleep, how do you guys dispose of them?

With all due respect, you should have thought about and arranged this before considering setting a live capture trap.

Personally its a silenced .410 for me.

I take it by asleep you mean permanently then a hedge well away from home is the best bet, have thought about tipping one in our brown bin but not sure what they would make of it.

With all due respect, you should have thought about and arranged this before considering setting a live capture trap.

Personally its a silenced .410 for me.

Into the dead bin. Loads of magots to feed the pheasants extra protein.

Not recommended close to your home, as decomposing fox and magotts can STINK.

Bury the bones and fur when all flesh has been consumed.

webber

This is so near to the knuckle with me.A damn fox killed all my hens couple months back so i replaced them and last week it came came back,killed one more and bit another.

Is it legal for me to snare my nocturnal visitor and either shoot or club it to death in morning?

The simple answer is yes, but any means of dispatch must be approved or humane, club it by all means but do it efficiently! :lol:

The simple answer is yes, but any means of dispatch must be approved or humane, club it by all means but do it efficiently! :lol:

Clubbing, drowning, suffocating etc. (i.e not shooting it) is illegal unless it's to prevent further suffering.

Edited by Bleeh

Well after the fox attack fiasco the other week, Ive knocked together a trap, and have been baiting it the past 5 nights. It's been empty by the morning.

Charlie also seems to be getting bolder... Ive seen him every evening since the attack... even sniffing the back door at one point!

SO! The trap is outside with a freshly shot rabbit carcass inside coutesy of my permission next door - what will the morning bring??

Sorry, I didnt word that right.

The 410 is sat ready and waiting, what I meant was how do I rid of the carcass?

Thanks for the replies. Incidently the trap was sprung last night, but no fox. Ive got an inward opening door, but this shortened then 900mm trap by about 300mm, so I think I need to re-design this, as I reckon he backed out as the door shut.

Sorry, I didnt word that right.

The 410 is sat ready and waiting, what I meant was how do I rid of the carcass?

Thanks for the replies. Incidently the trap was sprung last night, but no fox. Ive got an inward opening door, but this shortened then 900mm trap by about 300mm, so I think I need to re-design this, as I reckon he backed out as the door shut.

You may now find him difficult to trap, try and try again.

This is so near to the knuckle with me.A damn fox killed all my hens couple months back so i replaced them and last week it came came back,killed one more and bit another.

Is it legal for me to snare my nocturnal visitor and either shoot or club it to death in morning?

The simple answer is yes, but any means of dispatch must be approved or humane, club it by all means but do it efficiently! :yes:

Clubbing, drowning, suffocating etc. (i.e not shooting it) is illegal unless it's to prevent further suffering.

What legislation states this ? , this is a recognised form of dispatch for many animals, and fish!

I stressed efficiently, if you stand there all day knocking it about with a twig and cause undue suffering you "may" have a case to answer for cruelty, the efficient use of a club is perfectly legal!

What legislation states this ? , this is a recognised form of dispatch for many animals, and fish!

I stressed efficiently, if you stand there all day knocking it about with a twig and cause undue suffering you "may" have a case to answer for cruelty, the efficient use of a club is perfectly legal!

Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996

1996 CHAPTER 3

1 Offences

If, save as permitted by this Act, any person mutilates, kicks, beats, nails or otherwise impales, stabs, burns, stones, crushes, drowns, drags or asphyxiates any wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering he shall be guilty of an offence.

2 Exceptions from offence under the Act

A person shall not be guilty of an offence under this Act by reason of—

(a) the attempted killing of any such wild mammal as an act of mercy if he shows that the mammal had been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of its recovering;

(:good: the killing in a reasonably swift and humane manner of any such wild mammal if he shows that the wild mammal had been injured or taken in the course of either lawful shooting, hunting, coursing or pest control activity; (wacking a fox on the head can be very eaisly argued against this, as you have know way to prove it will be either swift or humane)

© doing anything which is authorised by or under any enactment;

(d) any act made unlawful by section 1 if the act was done by means of any snare, trap, dog, or bird lawfully used for the purpose of killing or taking any wild mammal; or

(e) the lawful use of any poisonous or noxious substance on any wild mammal.

Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996

1996 CHAPTER 3

1 Offences

If, save as permitted by this Act, any person mutilates, kicks, beats, nails or otherwise impales, stabs, burns, stones, crushes, drowns, drags or asphyxiates any wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering he shall be guilty of an offence.

2 Exceptions from offence under the Act

A person shall not be guilty of an offence under this Act by reason of—

(a) the attempted killing of any such wild mammal as an act of mercy if he shows that the mammal had been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of its recovering;

(:good: the killing in a reasonably swift and humane manner of any such wild mammal if he shows that the wild mammal had been injured or taken in the course of either lawful shooting, hunting, coursing or pest control activity; (wacking a fox on the head can be very eaisly argued against this, as you have know way to prove it will be either swift or humane) And you have no way to prove it isnt, especially as I have said from the start, if it is done efficiently!

© doing anything which is authorised by or under any enactment;

(d) any act made unlawful by section 1 if the act was done by means of any snare, trap, dog, or bird lawfully used for the purpose of killing or taking any wild mammal; or

(e) the lawful use of any poisonous or noxious substance on any wild mammal.

Which part of that says it is illegal to efficiently club a fox to death, that is, as I previously stated talking in terms of cruelty, and has nothing to do with prompt dispatch with an appropriate club! To kill a fox by clubbing it (reasonably swift and humane) in the course of Pest Control etc is perfectly legal as it says!

The red bit has nothing to do with the legislation and is your opinion!

Edited by Dekers

Which part of that says it is illegal to efficiently club a fox to death, that is, as I previously stated talking in terms of cruelty, and has nothing to do with prompt dispatch with an appropriate club! To kill a fox by clubbing it (reasonably swift and humane) in the course of Pest Control etc is perfectly legal as it says!

If you lived in a house filled with guns, you'd have a hard time proving that.

If you lived in a house filled with guns, you'd have a hard time proving that.

Chap..

I'm not looking for an argument here but you made a statement saying it is Illegal to club a fox to death, you have backed that up with your opinion..opinion is not law!

It is perfectly legal to club a fox as per all my posts..and indeed as per the apparent supportive legislation you quoted for your case.

Lets not get opinion mixed up with Law!

ATB!!

A friend who lives in a small town has just had a visit from the RSPCA after complaints from the woman next door that he was trapping and killing foxes in his garden to protect his chickens, officer asked if this was the case and if so how was he dispatching them? My mate replied that even though he has a sgc he uses an air rifle very close to the head and the officer had no problems at with this at all.