pump action shotguns

jcbruno

i was just curiouse how many of you guys use them? i notice for the most part you guys like your semis.SxS & O/U

In Canada most field shooters use the pump mainly due to reliabilty especially in the winter followed closeley by semis & single shots, not to say there isnt a large number of the O/U & SxS used I personally have never owned anything but pumps i currently have a browning pump which i am in love with and have just bought a youth model remington 870 youth model in 20 guage for my wife and kids to use I love the pumps, sound off fellas tell me what you guys got for pump guns :blink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is a brandname you guys may not be famulure with newengland firearms they are kinda neat they make pump shotguns and lots of break action single shot stuff, a friend of mine bought the handi rifle combo it came with a 30-06 barrel,12guage barre and a 22lr barrel for about $360, which is like 200q for you guys

http://www.hr1871.com/

Jcbruno please bear in mind most of the pumps are restricted only 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine,if u want more capacity u have to have it on a firearm licence which requires deeper scrutiny of the applicant and is the reason there are 5 shotgun licence holders to every firearm licence holder, and some constabularys here are reluctant to issue them.all the practical shotgun guys have them.I had one once a mossberg slugster oh man it kicked on solid slug!

Jcbruno please bear in mind most of the pumps are restricted only 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine,if u want more capacity u have to have it on a firearm licence which requires deeper scrutiny of the applicant and is the reason there are 5 shotgun licence holders to every firearm licence holder, and some constabularys here are reluctant to issue them.all the practical shotgun guys have them.I had one once a mossberg slugster oh man it kicked on solid slug!

I don't think it's the reason why there are 5 SGC holders to every FAC holder.

I think that's more to do with the fact that 5 times as many people want an SGC than want an FAC.

Like me. I don't want an FAC, so I didn't apply for one. You imply that only FAC holders are "worthy" :blink: and SGC holders are all failed FAC applicants. I think not.

A 12 shot go faster "tactical" military Rambo gun is about as much use to me as a spare harris :oops:

I've got a synthetic Browning BPS Stalker. Being limited to 2+1 is a pain but I think you have the same restriction when you're bird hunting in Canada?

I'm thinking of selling mine. I never keep guns for that long and this one just never seems to get used. Any kind of formal shoot here really looks down on autos and pumps, even to the point that it restricts you a bit on where you can take them! Being black synthetic doesn't help, perhaps I should try to get some wood for it?

And on that note, how much could you pick up a used BPS stock and fore end for in Canada? :oops: :blink:

I use a 12g Hatsan Pump action. I was going to get a Mossberg but the fact that the importer is just down the road swayed me thinking I would be ok for parts. I prefer them to the semi autos as much of my shooting is done while on the move and I get fed up with climbing over walls to pick up the empties. They are also nice and cheap. I like the sight picture of pumps and semis and find I quickly get the hang of using pump actions.

I don't think it's the reason why there are 5 SGC holders to every FAC holder.

I think that's more to do with the fact that 5 times as many people want an SGC than want an FAC.

Like me. I don't want an FAC, so I didn't apply for one. You imply that only FAC holders are "worthy" :blink: and SGC holders are all failed FAC applicants. I think not.

A 12 shot go faster "tactical" military Rambo gun is about as much use to me as a spare harris :oops:

go faster rambo gun ummm,I just wanted the best semi for the farm clays and pratical target ,thanks for that ile pass ure comments on to the ukpsa guys on here. Also I implied nothing just pointing out fact , one of the major causes of arguments on here is peoples ignorance of other shooting disciplines or their lack of knowledge or understanding about any of those diciplines that they don't shoot so an open mind is pertanant.........anyhow back to topic if you can find a nice smooth action pump u can achieve great things with it,my freind has a winchester xlr 1300 I think it is,very smooth and and he's dead quick with it toonlook at tom knapp ! So pumps still have their place.

I love pump guns. I have a Supernova and am thinking about picking up a cheap Mossberg.

Sadly, they are frowned upon here at clays by people like Chard above who refer to them as 'Rambo' guns. I hate gun snobs :yp:

They're not frowned on at clays and if you'd care to open your eyes and read, I own one myself.

It's just a fact that, unfortunately a lot are owned by the lock 'n load brigade :blink:

For the record, whilst you might hate "gun snobs", I hate the *****, chav, survivalist, walting mentalists who put down anybody who works hard and buys a decent gun :oops:

Lets keep the discussion friendly.

The original question was about "sporting shooters" using pump action automatic shotguns.

PSA is not a "sporting " shooting activity, its a "target" shooting activity.

Horses for courses and specific guns for the discipline that they are needed for, it all makes sense to me.

I owned a Mossberg pump many years ago and I had to take it off my shoulder between shots, to rack the slide.

Despite extensive practicing I could not rack the slide with the gun mounted.

This was not a physical, or mechanical problem, it was just something I couldn't get use to.

Most of my US friends use them for their alleged reliabilty benefits.

They're not frowned on at clays and if you'd care to open your eyes and read, I own one myself.

It's just a fact that, unfortunately a lot are owned by the lock 'n load brigade :blink:

For the record, whilst you might hate "gun snobs", I hate the *****, chav, survivalist, walting mentalists who put down anybody who works hard and buys a decent gun :oops:

I have decent guns too, and have no problem with people spending their hard earned cash on a nice dedicated clay gun and it is clearly better suited to clay shooting than a pump. I just had a bad experience myself when I went to a ground I used to shoot at regularly at (with my OU) and the day i turned up with a pump for a bit of fun the owner stopped me before I even got to the stand (But after I had paid) and said they didnt allow that sort of thing because of its rambo image :yp: So when you said rambo I thought you were going to be one of those...

Guest cookoff013

i use a pump occasionally. everyone calls it a potato masher. i actually put in some scores better than my sxs. buy i just love shooting and dont care of others oppinion. yes there are gun snobs out there, i`ve even been told its **** for clays.

i have however rubbed it in when i put in a better score. (i have several times.)

i got it for wildfowling, and was told it was **** for that too. (even though its labelled as a wildfowling gun. supernova.)

it is brilliant on ABT.

some even have a few goes.

i ran 1000 steel loads through it, as its my wreck gun, it takes some serious abuse, that my other pieces cant.

dooseydog, I would suggest you post your question about overseas clay shooting grounds in the Clay Shooting section.

That would save this thread from leaping off at a tangent.

Done opps !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dooseydog

Quite right bennelis are super robust,mines never jammed (yet),I'm lucky our clay shoot is quite informal and we often have a fun round with .410 or a pump. I

have seen gun snobery and that kind of short sighted Small minded shooter is the type who helps no one,where were they wen they took our pistols away? Or the self loaders? Where will they be with there I'm alright jack attitude when their clay guns are banned? I wonder. As for chards comments,they are way out of line calling people ******? Rambos? The lock and load brigade? Survivalists? there so generalised I think he's been watching to much tv, shame on you,comments like that is gold in the eyes of antis and you bring all shooting sports into disrepute.

:good: We can still agree that there are the few Walts that use the P/A, we have to also agree it's also a legitimate sporting shotgun.. We can see this by its use in the states. You can even get Trap modified Pumps with sporting ribs etc. to add further.

In the world of clays there is only a small market for them because they seem to be rare on clay shoots in the UK, and for this reason people come to the conclusion that these guns aren't fit for clay shooting.

If a few more people just tried it out and brought their own P/A, there'd be a lot more knowledge about them and wouldn't be such a taboo and more people would feel confident that they wouldn't be looked down upon if they brought one themselves.

It's mainly the idiots who look down on them that cause all this separation of the guns, and it's not the healthiest thing for a sport to turn against each other.

Try out a Pump if you haven't already, what's the worse that could happen?

Edited by Shuck.

It's just a fact that, unfortunately a lot are owned by the lock 'n load brigade :good:

For the record, whilst you might hate "gun snobs", I hate the *****, chav, survivalist, walting mentalists who put down anybody who works hard and buys a decent gun :good:

I prefer to call them ahem, "budget" guns . I have a cabinet full of rub..... , more utilitarian type gun. :lol: