Short Memories

Highlander

Yet again history seems to be repeating itself and we never learn :D ...DC is preparing us for the hurt to come in putting this country’s finances back in shape, a long and painful process no doubt but I’ve a funny feeling we’ve been close to this before! :hmm:

Didn’t Maggie inherit a near bankrupt country from a long term Labour government that had been profligate with OUR money? :good: We’d even had to be bailed out by the IMF but through hard choices The Iron Lady and the Tories managed to put us back on top, break the unions hold and make Britain a place to be proud of once again. ;) By the time the next Labour government were in power there was plenty of money in the bank and the economy was in a good overall state...that was 13 years ago! :)

I only hope DC & NC are able to do it again and that despite the pain we’re all going to face over the next few years they get the country’s backing to do so otherwise we’re going to be joining those other poor ******** in the 3rd world! :)

The more you look at it its staggering we could have a government allowed to get us in this state. Not sure what the answer is but I'm sure its not going to be nice, it really galls me you have Labour in opposition ridiculing cuts etc as personally if I was them I would be hiding in shame at what I'd done

hopefully it'll be the other way round Doc needs a few strategic insiders to sort out where the ineffective waste lies.

I've a customer who is an entirely government funded charity and the knife has been falling heavily there for a while now, the waste there was shocking even if we did enjoy making the most of it

Edited by al4x

Looks like front line NHS services will be hit, I am concerned about my job. I am sure the managers will be safe though

doc

And isn't that the biggest problem? Get rid of a few of the top brass and let the foot soldiers do what they do best.

I think the new unelected prime minister will find it difficult to follow Mrs Thatcher, she has already used the oil and sold the family silver, all those industries that she munificently gave back to the british people now belong to, in the most part, to foreign investors

Quite. Not so much a case of short memories more a case of selective memories.

The problem is there is a fine line which politicians dont seem to understand, they really need to be careful otherwise we will end up in a depression.

I don't understand why they want to cut so much all at once when there isn't any need at this time (we've only just come out of a recession...keyword just!), little by little would be more beneficial.

I think the new unelected prime minister will find it difficult to follow Mrs Thatcher, she has already used the oil and sold the family silver, all those industries that she munificently gave back to the british people now belong to, in the most part, to foreign investors

Ah yes, that old trick :yahoo: She sold off British industry at a quarter of its worth to the public, the shares doubled in weeks and the public quickly sold their shares at a profit to capitalists who then got the companies at half price. We fell for it time after time and now look at the price we pay for foreign owned utilities.

Guest stiv24

New Labour = spend, spend, spend until all the money has gone and then spend, spend, spend some more. Much like old labour I fancy.

Anyway, good old Gord, wasn't his fault he sold all our gold when it was almost worthless....................

New Labour = spend, spend, spend until all the money has gone and then spend, spend, spend some more. Much like old labour I fancy.

Anyway, good old Gord, wasn't his fault he sold all our gold when it was almost worthless....................

Yep, good old Gord not only waited until the gold price was at an all time low, he announced how much he was selling, over what time period, and what he was planning on investing the proceeds in. As soon as he announced it the traders knew exactly how to play the game , and the price dipped another 10% and lost us another £450 million. Then he decided to sell via uniform price auctions, which basically means that a lot of the buyers actually paid LESS than they had bid. He couldn't have got it more wrong if he had tried and cost us billions. And he went on mucking up the country's finances for another 11 years. No wonder we are in such a deep pile of poo.

Jilted John had it right...