I LOVE MY HMR

mikee

got a call from a mate last night " would i bring the hmr and shoot some rabbits beyond his .22 range", got to the field about 8.30pm and spied a magpie at about 210yds, got on the bonnet of his truck, as its zero'd for about 150yds thought about 2" hold over would be about right, squeezed the trigger and saw the bullet slash just behind the old maggie, when i set it up i was using the hornady v-max but was loaded today with the rem gold tips which seem a little more zippy.

next field spot a rabbit at about 120 so gave it about 1" hold under the eye, shot it straight through the eye, next one at about 150 did the same, then my mate spotted one right in the far corner of the field, bearing in mind the earlier magpie incident held the cross on the top of his head, when i fired i saw him fall over, when matey retrieved him he was shot straight through the side of the head and it was 190 paces, he paced out 19 paces and I measured them at 23 yds with my big tape so about 230yds,

Thats why I love my hmr, its just the dogs danglies

mikee

Couldn't agree more Mikee! I love using my 17HMR more than any of my other guns, it continues to amaze me with it's capabilities!

I like to use Remington Premier 17gr in mine, surprisingly enough it hates Harnady ammo!

Edited by Frenchieboy

good little round, fills the gap between cf and lr nicely , i love shooting mine also , always a smile factor involved, and its pretty safe aswell within 150 yards with the vmax bullet being so frangible. if not a little messy , heads shots only for me on bugs bunny!

Needs zeroing again for the different ammo. The one time I switched from Hornady to Remington there was almost 1" difference in height. I can't remember which one was higher though.

Even though CCI allegedly make it for several different manufacturers it's entirely feasible that they have more than one production line in use. Each line would have small variations within a certain tolerance and it's wise to buy them by the brick as a minimum.

I hear some people buy a pack of fifty at a time - by the time they buy their next 50 the batch number has changed several times. If your ammo allowance is less than buy 500 try to get it upped for the good reason of consistency.

EDIT: I'll second the merits of the 100 yard zero.

Edited by Dave-G