tips on gun cleaning

Dont know if any body does this but after a good session either at the range or out on field i hate when my barrels are full of muck eg powder residue and i have to use felt wods at my range and it takes a while to clean with the old copper brush by hand to do it properly any way but i came up with an idea i use bore cleaner with my copper brush and only two lengths of my cleaning rod but i attach it to my hand drill give it a good clean like that from both ends eg the muzzle and the chamber then when it looks ok i shove some tissue or patches down it to mop up the rest of the bore cleaner left inside then spray some wwd40 or gun oil on my mop and lub em up abit try this it makes a job quicker and better as the barrels are getting cleaned up and down and all around lol my barrels always sparkel now

happy shooting

Edited by kamikazepigeon

Dont know if any body does this but after a good session either at the range or out on field i hate when my barrels are full of muck eg powder residue and i have to use felt wods at my range and it takes a while to clean with the old copper brush by hand to do it properly any way but i came up with an idea i use bore cleaner with my copper brush and only two lengths of my cleaning rod but i attach it to my hand drill give it a good clean like that from both ends eg the muzzle and the chamber then when it looks ok i shove some tissue or patches down it to mop up the rest of the bore cleaner left inside then spray some wwd40 or gun oil on my mop and lub em up abit try this it makes a job quicker and better as the barrels are getting cleaned up and down and all around lol my barrels always sparkel now

happy shooting

wd40 takes bluing off.

happy shooting

My RFD does similar with a drill, although he wraps the PB brush in very fine wire wool which helps to take the plastic residue off and uses gun oil, not WD40 - barrels look good as new afterwards.

AB

i only use wd40 to put down the barrels also got proper gun oil for the outside put a few drops on cloth and give the out side the barrles a wipe as well as wood work but i never spray it on to the wood work as not sure if it can do damage to it in long run but yeah heard if u wipe ur barrells with wd40 it can take the blueing off in the long run but never had a propblem with them and my dads always used wd40 for both inside the barrels and outside and in over 20 years the only blueing to come off is from carrying it were the action has constantly rubbed against his wax jacket when on marshes ect :good:

Edited by kamikazepigeon

I wouldnt use WD on my gun simply because there are products out there that are either designed for guns or simply do a better job.

And it stinks.

As for the drill thing, its especially good for Browning chambers as they have a habit of going rusty.

Not suggesting that my line up is the best but after many years of swapping and changing and messing, I have but four cleaning products that I use and find that the products will clean and protect shotguns & rifles.

1) Break free CPL gun oil, used by Nato & US military forces (sportsman are selling a bottle for £1.99), top stuff and tested on a Carbon steel plate submerged in salt water. Beat most of the competition hands down for long term protection.

2) Robla Solo Mil (carbon and copper solvent) best stuff money can buy apart from KG12 which is three times the price. If you don't believe in it's ability to remove powder and carbon, clean the glass on your log stove!! The stuff disintegrates copper jackets on bullets and at £5 odd delivered to your door, it comes highly recommended.

3) Acetone : melts plastic wad residues with ease. (50p Boots the chemist)

4) Quality gun grease

Full set up of cleaning products for a tenner!!

And not a cleaning product but an essential some for of corrosion control product for the gun cabinet.

John

Edited by Hunter_zero