fixed or multi chokes

lowlander

now that ive decided im going to get a silver pigeon s ive got to decide whether to go for the multichoke version or fixed choke version, what would you go for?

lowlander

Personally, even though I have never changed my chokes from the 1/4 & 1/2 I put in when I got it I would still always go for multi just because, in the long run, it gives you more flexibility (albeit with a little more work on the maintainance & cleaning side of things) :good:

thinking about it i would prefer the multichoke version, but i think that 1/2 and 1/4 would cover everything im going to use it for, also the fixed choke model is 200 quid cheaper than the multichoke one :good: i really dont know which to go for :welcomeani:

lowlander

thinking about it i would prefer the multichoke version, but i think that 1/2 and 1/4 would cover everything im going to use it for, also the fixed choke model is 200 quid cheaper than the multichoke one :good: i really dont know which to go for :welcomeani:

lowlander

Some of my guns are multi, some aren't. I never change the chokes in the ones that are to be honest but at least you have the choice, but I have had chokes come loose which is something to keep your eye on. This doesn't happen with fixed chokes.

A multichoke gun will retain the extra paid so isnt any dearer when you come to sell one day :welcomeani:

lowlander

What about resale value? Do they still fetch 200 difference between the two? If the multichoke doesnt hold the difference in value second hand and you are happy with the fixed choke then don't throw your money away. If they do hold the same difference in value second hand and you have the spare cash then go for the multichoke so you have the option to change the chokes in the event you want to try something different.

lowlander

most of my guns ive had have been multi choke but like most people i never bother changing them,always use 1/4 and 1/2 so i eventually bought a fixed choke mcnab highlander 1/4 and 1/2.for £200 cheaper i would go for fixed choke

Definately multi. Always good to have the choice and it doesn't matter if you never change them. At least you can if you want. When I'm doing clays I will change chokes to shoot sporting or skeet. Also when I go shooting I'll use 1/4 and 1/2 for pigeon and 1/2 and 3/4 for crows as they seem to be a little higher and need a denser pattern.

At least with a multi you got the option, even of you never bother with changing them

Dan