pigeons in kent

bigsam

hi all

how are people in kent and surrounding areas gettin on with shooting woodies ? i been out today to look over my three farms i shoot over and cant see any on rape or any in big numbers for that matter !! gettin p****d off not being able to bag a few woodies :< :<

I had an enjoyable day yesterday with rabbitraider, pleanty of woodies down this way, just couldnt get many into shootable ranges. they wouldnt touch shell decoys or birds, just flew straight over, most of them about 60yards up in big flocks of 50 or so.

The only birds we got were chance. Ended up with 15, my personal best, but a long way off what some of the guys on here get. but i enjoyed myself :D

Edited by dunganick

i probably havent shot 15 in the last year, before yesterday.

should ahve made at least 30, but they were so high and i was shooting like an idiot.

can you decoy winter flocks effectively

we did have a magnet, but we have lost the V part of the arm. (or rather its mislaid at somebodys house :D )

cant wait to get out again, think im hooked on this pigeon shooting lark

In my area it`s noticeable that pigeons are not on the well grown rape, (as usual!) but some of my fields have areas of stunted rape that initially had pinkish leaves which are now a bit yellow. These are the places to find the birds, and if the only place to put your deeks is on a well grown crop they will often give you a miss. Would you like to crash your undercarriage into wet, frosty leaves??

They seem to be on berries and set aside in my area at the moment.

Only small scattered groups are on the rape.

I'm not sure if this has any relevance but a lot of my French shooting clients this year reported a massive increase in Pigeon numbers in France, particularly in the North. Perhaps this could explain the lack of Pigeon in Kent? :D

Was down in the ashford area on Sat, Got 1 pigeon and 2 brace of pheasants.

Was just walking up ruff shooting but the pigeons were certainaly not interested in the rape, nor have they been in the last few weeks Ive been about. Lots of them flying about but quite high and just jumping from one wood to the next.

Sat out for the roost and non even came to the wood. Last week only got 3 when roosting. They are about but just not on the rape. Most of the 4 I got were on beach mast / acorns in the crop.

Luckily the pheasants are keeping me busy at the moment cos the pigeons arnt.

Trev

Hi Guy's

We were beating over bettshanger last week and Mr ledger had 2 belgium lads shooting pigeons on his rape, when we done this one particular drive we had to walk past these 2 guy's and we noticed a few partridges by there side, as you could imagine the gamekeeper was not very happy :lol: , so he got on the phone to Mr & Mrs ledger and they come to the field and threw all there gear down the field, i couldn't stop laughing, highlight of the day for me. :lol:

had another good afternoon with rabbit raider, only from 1.30 till about 3

more birds than you can shake a stick at, although alot of them very high

but still cant decoy them, just shooting the flight lines, but its great fun and very challenging shooting so im not bothered

bag this evening was about 17 or 18 (lost a few birds to the brambles) most birds were 25yards or more

great fun....just wish i hadnt dragged the pigeon magnet all the way down to the bottom of a valley never to use it.. :lol:

oh well, you live and learn.