what do I need for the pigeon?

IMO, an ex MoD camo net , 12 flocked shell decoys plus sticks, 4-5 hide poles and a seat.

Check out the DIY section for help in making floaters, bouncers , dead bird cradles , etc. and there are lots of individual threads regarding best camo nets, decoys , etc., just have a browse round the "Search" function.

IMO, an ex MoD camo net , 12 flocked shell decoys plus sticks, 4-5 hide poles and a seat.

Check out the DIY section for help in making floaters, bouncers , dead bird cradles , etc. and there are lots of individual threads regarding best camo nets, decoys , etc., just have a browse round the "Search" function.

Thanks Cranfield

Matt,

Get a Stealth Net rather than ex-army camo'. It's cheaper (around £30), lighter and better. Four poles (£20), a dozen shell deeks (around £25) and a stool or seat to suit and you are away. :blink:

Personally I use 4' 6" horse fence poles and if I need them to be a bit taller I fasten a stick to them with elastic bands. They are around £4 - £5 each and readily available at equistrian suppliers.

A couple of floaters with foam or plastic deeks will set you back about £30 - £50. You might see some benefit from them especially over layed crops and / or when in larger fields and you need to attract attention from distant flight lines.

Edited by UKPoacher

Cheers uk poacher, i see on ebay you can get high definition decoys, does hi def make a difference?

I've no idea. I try not to let the pigeons get too familiar with my deeks :hmm:

Don't wory about the hype, just buy the basics, enjoy yourself and then add more things as you need them. :blink:

Morning chaps,

I belong to a small game syndiacte, but have decided to give the pigeon a go. So I'm just starting out, I need to know what stuff I will need and which is most effective in terms of cammo netting an decoys etc oh, and I havn't got a fortune to spend!

Look at tangiblesolid on Trading Post, under Sales, decoy set for beginners

bakerboy

• 2 weeks later...

I started 18 months ago.

i think a camo head net,gloves and jacket are esential,they won;t see your movement,4 hide poles and I have a stealth and some army camo.i use them at the same time,12 flocked deeks on springers,I bought the live bird floater s from site sponser and I have a magnet,and a seat,I think that;s enough to carry as with gun and 100 shells weighs about 30 kg's and I can't lug much more around.When i set the pattern the way the pigeons expect to see it(an art I haven't mastered yet) they come in like mad,I think if you want to do this you need to get enough stuff as watching the pigeons fligh outta range and you can't draw them in is a waste of your time.i think a magnet is a must have,personally

• 2 weeks later...

Best advice !! If you are going for a woody session either go with a mate who already has the gear or borrow the gear for a try. Start buying with just the basics Hide, shells and bouncers can result in struggling if you dont have a clue at setup and can result in bad days shooting. :rolleyes:

I'm sure t would, but I dnot think I want to fork out for a magnet etc straight away.

I need to know which decoys work best, FUDS, Silosocks, shells, full body, rubber etc and which camo net is best. I heard the clearview ones arn't too good

F.U.D.s are excellent - Just recently (Over the past few months) I've been using them, and pigeons have been quite happily landing amongst the decoys, and sitting for ages amongst them. I used UV paint to highlight the white flashes.

I also use Clearview net. It's very good as long as the area behind (i.e. where you sit) isn't illuminated. I've attached a section of wind shield net from B&Q behind the Clearview to form a sun block. Best thing about it is that you can attach the net to hidepoles and roll it up at the end of the day. Very compact and easy to carry.