The £650 Landy Upgrade

Billy.

Before

2vkyv0j.jpg

After

2lm2sg5.jpg

The Missus prefers how it looked before, but I'm a bit keen on the Tomb Raider look (need to respray the car for that!)

A-Bar - £55

Spot Lamps (Grille) £45

Light Bar - £45

Lamps (Light Bar) £30

LAND ROVER Letters - £6

Alloys - £200

Radio - £45

Speakers - £25

Central Locking - £29

Steering Guard - £60

Headlamp Guards - £40

Side Steps - £60

Air Scoop £10

Number of hours spent installing - Unknown, but it's a lot!

I now need to buy:

BF Goodrich Tyres (anyone getting rid of some?!)

Chequer plates for the wings

New Intercooler

Windows on the back (back door side panels)

Roof painting the same colour as the car

Blank the EGR valve

Chipping

Remove the catalytic converter

...So not much then :lol:

Edited by Billy.

If that air scoop goes anywhere near your air intake i'd take it off straight away, thats going to catch water and direct it in if you go enthusiastically through puddles.

Other than that its looking better, not sure on the alloys but might be better with BFG's on

If that air scoop goes anywhere near your air intake i'd take it off straight away, thats going to catch water and direct it in if you go enthusiastically through puddles.

Other than that its looking better, not sure on the alloys but might be better with BFG's on

Honestly, don't get me started on the alloys... I wanted the proper alloys, but ended up buying those... I really really really want some better ones.

I did also think that about the scoop, but I'm not going through anything deeper than the side steps. If a splash of water does get in, it'll not kill the engine.

Looks smart, but thought it was now illegal to fit metal 'bull bars' to any vehicle? Hope you have told your insurers about all the mods!

What year is the Landy?

this is the uk leg for bull bars ( or fps ) :

UK

Exctracted from a presentation given by the DfT the following existing UK laws affect the use of non approved FPS's.

A synopsis of this is that is illegal to sell, fit or use a vehicle on public roads with a non approved FPS in the UK under 3 acts, road traffic act 1988, road vehicle construction and use 1986 and general product safety regulations 2005.

* Road Traffic act 1988 section 41, A person who uses or allows to be used a motor vehicle which does not comply with these regulations is guilty of an offence (non approved FPS's do not comply):

* Section 75, no person shall supply a motor vehicle or alter a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition, unroadworthy means use on a road would be in contravention of section 41 (non approved FPS's contravene section 41)

* Section 76, if a person supplies a part, or fits a part such that it fails to comply with section 41 they are guilty of an offence (non approved FPS's do not comply).

* The Road Vehicle Construction and use 1986 regulation 100, a motor vehicle and all its accessories will at all times be kept in a condition so that no danger is caused to any person in or on a vehicle or on the road: Non apprved bull bars and FPS's are considered to be unsafe and therefore cause a danger to persons on the road.

Key Dates, 25th May 2007, FPS permitted for sale IF AND ONLY IF they are approved.

General Product Safety Regulations, This requires all products placed on the market to be safe. FPS's approved to the directive are considered to be safe. In the UK the General Product safety regulations have been cited by the UK Government as controlling the sale of FPS's. this means that it is not the Department for Transport (DfT) which is responsible for any prosecutions under the General safety regulations, it is the Trading Standards office. We also know that according to General Product Safety Regulations, the maximum penalties for transgression are £20,000 fine and or 12 months in prison.

In addition to these CURRENT UK laws 2007/46/EC Regulation, combines 2003/102/EC and 2005/66/EC, the key difference is that regulation is automatic mandatory and does not reuqire local adoption, i.e. becomes law in every member state simultaneously. Due introduction June 2008.

New Corporate Manslaughter Laws come into force in the UK in 2008 which change the way that Companies can be prosecuted. Instead of the controlling mind, the company itself can be prosecuted for its faillings if a death is caused by its actions (or inaction). This includes supply of parts which are known to present a danger to persons, and fines can be unlimited. As such, dealers supplying a non approved product which is proven to be contributary to a death, could face far more serious consequences than a breach of General Product Safety Regulations.

so they are allowed as long as they meet the eu spec for the vehicle being fitted to ???

Looks the muts dangly bits,apart from roof,you didnt mention a winch,thought all you landy boys had one for when you get stuck trying to do the impossible route for 4x4 ???

I did want a winch, but I'd rather save for a proper bumper first, rather than fitting an adaptor, which isn't that reliable.

I should have a winch on the list though ???

Looking really good :lol:, just needs some mud terrains on mach 5 alloys and it would look SWEETer and possibley a straight through exaust. A chap at college has a 56 plate td5 which he has chipped and put a sraright through pipe on, it sounds epic and was nearly 200bhp on a rolling road.

Looking really good :lol:, just needs some mud terrains on mach 5 alloys and it would look SWEETer and possibley a straight through exaust. A chap at college has a 56 plate td5 which he has chipped and put a sraright through pipe on, it sounds epic and was nearly 200bhp on a rolling road.

yeh, but is it quiet enough to be road legal?

I'm, liking the progress, but I mirror what others have said, that scoop is asking for trouble. Snorkel it! :hmm:

I too use to be in the buy ever bolt on gadget gang but after time I looked back and found that I was spending ££££££.

Making it more attrative to thiefing toerags and alot was useless for the type of driving I use to do also I have stopped buying LRO mag due to the staff being in the club with the likes of britpart etc do ever see one of the them buy there own gear what is it now £4ish x 12 and you can buy something useful.

Still if you enjoy what you have done thats the most important thing keep enjoyingh landrover ownership OTH

I have kept my mods to the type of use I use my 110 for rack for my ladders the snorkel makes it poss to change the filter ever 18 months instead of 12.

SoosBIGBUM044.jpg

how did you go on with the central locking? was it a kit?

not sure what the set up is in the td5s with regards to locking mechanism in the doors. i've got a 94 tdi and would love a bit of central locking :-D

Regards,

Ash

how did you go on with the central locking? was it a kit?

not sure what the set up is in the td5s with regards to locking mechanism in the doors. i've got a 94 tdi and would love a bit of central locking :-D

Regards,

Ash

This is the central locking and electric windows in my 95 Defender both fitted in an afternoon and all for less than £50.

post-12981-1277678586.jpg post-12981-1277678600.jpg

This is the central locking and electric windows in my 95 Defender both fitted in an afternoon and all for less than £50.

post-12981-1277678586.jpg post-12981-1277678600.jpg

I literally want to murder you...!!!

I have the exact same electric window kit and for the life of me, I couldn't find a place to install it! Everywhere I fitted it, it would clip the window, or be too much of a bend for it to work properly!

I also have the same locking kit and it was simple to fit and works a charm. Just a straight bit of metal from the actuator to the bar which pushes/pulls the inside door lock.

Looks good fella +1 for the mack 5 alloys they look good with the right tyres on them.

WOuld love to get some proper alloys on the car. I think I might just buy one Alloy and BF Goodrich tyre per payday :good:

Edited by Billy.

keep your eyes on ebay, I got 4 BFG trac edge tyres two years ago hardly worn on landrover rims for £85, they are quite common on landrover alloys and you have a fair range of sizes that will fit. I'd be looking at things like item number 280525306752 or 330446378185

If you find a set and need them swapped or are looking at a new set my next door neighbour has just gone out on his own as a mobile tyre fitter having worked for etyres for ages and seems to think he's as cheap as they come

keep your eyes on ebay, I got 4 BFG trac edge tyres two years ago hardly worn on landrover rims for £85, they are quite common on landrover alloys and you have a fair range of sizes that will fit. I'd be looking at things like item number 280525306752 or 330446378185

If you find a set and need them swapped or are looking at a new set my next door neighbour has just gone out on his own as a mobile tyre fitter having worked for etyres for ages and seems to think he's as cheap as they come

Cheers mate. I would need someone to sell my old alloys/wheels to, so it'd be good to know if your neighbour is willing to buy them off me...

Nevertheless, I'll keep him in mind, as I really do need some fat tyres and better alloys.