Pigeons on peas

Robbo123

I was walking my dog through some fields yesterday and I noticed that about 400-500 pigeons were landing on a pea field. I am going to ask permission today but when shooting on peas I will use my magnet and then some decoys on the floor but do they even see the decoys on the floor and is it actually worth putting them out???

I was walking my dog through some fields yesterday and I noticed that about 400-500 pigeons were landing on a pea field. I am going to ask permission today but when shooting on peas I will use my magnet and then some decoys on the floor but do they even see the decoys on the floor and is it actually worth putting them out???

Yup - but put them (gently!) on the actual crop and be sure not to do more damage setting out your pattern and whirly than the pigeons are doing!

You need to get your decoys to stand above the crop.

If you have shell decoys you can place them on top of the crop, on windy days I still put my eezy woblers on the shells and stand the shell on the crop, the ezzy wobblers arent long enough to insert into the ground but they add a bit of weight to the shell so they don't get blown over.

You will need to use different methods depending what types of decoys you have.

Another trick when decoying over standing crops is to buy some cheap netting from the garden dept at say Wilko's(only a couple of quid). Peg this out with 4 bamboo sticks the same height as the crop and lay your shells on this. Stops them being blown off the crop when its a bit windy and keeps the decoys where they can be seen easily.

Cheers Roly

I have used bamboo canes and attached the spring-sticks to the canes using insulation tape. That way as the crop gets taller I can re-adjust the overall height of the spring-sticks and hence the half-shells. This way, any breeze and the decoys move accordingly over the top of the crop. Each cane was about 10p at the local hardware shop.

I have used bamboo canes and attached the spring-sticks to the canes using insulation tape. That way as the crop gets taller I can re-adjust the overall height of the spring-sticks and hence the half-shells. This way, any breeze and the decoys move accordingly over the top of the crop. Each cane was about 10p at the local hardware shop.
ill have that top tip cheers fella swiss

Hi mate, what area are you from? pigeons not really bothering with any of the peas i`ve been watching!!

cheers Lewis.

and this website suggests that they do land on beans look at http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/section...n-shooting.html

I'm wholeheartedly with Cat on this one...Beans??? Not at this time of their life cycle.

and that site doesn't suggest that pigeons land on beans as a matter of course...Only if they’ve been damaged i.e. layed!

I'd check your crop recognition! :)

You might see a few landing in a bean crop to feed on weeds etc but if those beans are at the growth stage they should be by now the birds will not be feeding on them. I'm not saying it's impossible as woody is full of surprises but it's highly unlikely and much more likely the 'hunter' has got it wrong.

i just had a look at how many pigeons shot by members this year and protom has put a post on saying he shot 16 on a bean field before farmer came to spray the field.

Well, good for him, as, unlike Robbo 123, he knows what he's talking about, I've also shot many hundreds of Pigeons on beans before the Farmer has sprayed the field, but at this time of year Pigeons are simply not interested in feeding on beans, FACT.

The birds may well be picking up the rubbish chickweed and other volunteer junk that grows alongside the beans, but they won't be touching the beans.

Keep an eye on the field until after it's harvested, and then beg or bribe the Farmer to leave the field un-ploughed until next January and you will then have some superb sport. :oops:

Cat.

Shooting birds on a bean field is completly diffrent from shooting birds feeding on a bean field .

There are many wise old hands on this site and if they are shot on a bean field at this time of year it will because they are feeding on chickweed not beans as birds only eat beans not the plants themselves.

Kind regards OTH

Ok unlike many of you I have lived on a farm all my life and know what ******* bean field looks like so no i dont need to check my crop recognition!! And secondly I have just shot 42 on the bean field yes a ******* bean field today so hmmmmmm!!! U GUYS REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

You said there where landing on a pea field so being a farmer lad you should have know there where beans straight away .

From yorkshire and no they are landing on beans i got it muddled up!! but i am guessing that the same principles as described above apply to shooting them on beans.

Now you said you have made a crop reconingtion error and now said it beans make your mind up :rolleyes:

If you look at my profile you will note that not only that I grew up on a farm I also managed a farm sold seeds to some of the largest arable farms in the south of england so dont need any tips of crop knowledge .

Also your reply to some of us and the way you have typed it will get you know where on this forum or if you talk to others in day to day life .

A little respect to older wiser pigeons shooters will unlock a greater knowlegde that you can pass on to others to enjoy.

As you seem to be quite young how old are you 16 17 years old??

So have a little think you may well have shot birds over a bean field I have but if you open there crops there will not be beans in there or any bean leaf etc.

It will be a weed or grit as at this time of year when birds are feeding on cerals they need grit to grind to aid digestion and some fields have a high amount of grit.

Keep up the questions but just be a bit more polite as having a load of you F%%%%ing T$$$sers I know what I on about etc does not wash .

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

i agree they are not eating the beans or the leaf but does it matter if you have pigeons on the crop and a flightline the principles stay the same as it would shooting over any crop;i shot 90 in may on a germinated wheat field the shoots were 4 ins tall so no seed left on it and they was not eating the wheat shoots but chickweed and bits of young rape growing amongst it but the same fieldcraft applied. :rolleyes: