A few pigeon, a blackie and a couple of hares

djrwood

Went out shooting the other day with a mate on his permission. Was a bit too hot, not may pigeon flying around so we decided a walk up and down the hedgerows would be best for the day. Walked along the first and managed to bag three woodies. Got a proper sweat on walking around in all the gear so stopped at the end waiting to see if any woodies would fly over and take a look at the three birds i had put out as deeks. Nothing about so headed along another hedgerow a little further down the lane. Managed another three woodies although it should have been five as i missed two easy birds which screamed out of the hedge in front of me. Unfortunately one of the woodies bounced off the deck and down into a massive land drain and another went into a wheat field. I had a look but couldnt find him and didnt want to trample down the farmers crop after a woodie. My mate was unlucky and didnt get a single shot as the birds all flew out on my side. I think it was probably because they were sheltering from the sun and my side was the shaded.

By this time, although i had only been out an hour i was sweating something chronic and a sunday afternoon in the pub seemed to be the way forward. So heading back to the car with my birds in my bag i was a happy lad. About 50 yds away from the car and we saw two crows high in the sky heading in our general direction. We hid in the hedge and i loaded two carts into the semi. Never had time for the third when one of the crows flew over me. I missed with the first but brought him down dead with the second. The smile on my face had grown even more. I think my mate was a bit savage as he didnt even bother laoding his gun. I slung the birds and gun in the boot and headed home.

We had to stop on the way home at my mates work so he could check his tractor was fine for work the following morning. I went for a wander round the back of the farm with the shottie and literally as i turned the corner to the field two hares came running straight at me. They panicked and turned but i hit the first with shot one and the second with shot three.

All in all a bloody brilliant day. Took the pigeon back and we did them on the barbecue after the footy. Wrapped them in tin foil, added chopped red peppers, and olive oil. They were beautiful. I gave the two hares to my mate who in turn gave them to his boss.

A nice pleasant morning, shame about the footy but it had to be expected, and a nice afternoon drinking and eating in the sun.

Cheers

Dan

post-22524-1277898455.jpg

post-22524-1277898468.jpg

post-22524-1277898482.jpg

Yes shame about the hares too! :rolleyes:

What's the problem with shooting hares? I must admit I don't see many round by my house so never shoot them but this particular permission is riddled with them. Saw seven in one field. And the farmer has said to shoot them but simply ensure t we don't shoot too many and that they don't go to waste which these two certainly didn't!!

Hang about, I understand what you are saying and even agree in a respect. Like I said I would never shoot a hare near where I live as I see so few around here. However, the farmer has said about shooting them. If he had said flatly that they are not to be shot of course I wouldn't. If I had only ever seem these two hares I would never of shot them. The land I'm on is riddled with them and i am certain that two less will not have a major effect on the hare population in the area. The two weren't shot for the sake of it, both were eaten. Trust me I do not and would not go out every weekend shooting hares as I don't agree with it myself!

on your permission the farmer asks you to cull a certain amount of hares and you have done as asked good way to keep your permission well done try them in a vindaloo yum yum :rolleyes:

Cheers Noel. Appreciate someone seeing sense. I understand that many people disagree with killing hares, and i agree that people shouldn't go out killing everything that moves. I did as I was asked by the owner and wasn't excessive.

Dan

so if farmer asked you to shoot say Canada geese at this time of year would you? What about English/Grey Partridges (in season) of which there are a few in your part of the world? Just because it's legal doesn't necessarily mean you have to.

I often get asked to shoot hares but explain to farmer I'm happy to do so during the game season but not at other times.

Some farmers are NOT the best custodians of the countryside and neither are shooters!

Do you know the difference between a 'shooter' and a 'hunter'?

Went out shooting the other day with a mate on his permission. Was a bit too hot, not may pigeon flying around so we decided a walk up and down the hedgerows would be best for the day. Walked along the first and managed to bag three woodies. Got a proper sweat on walking around in all the gear so stopped at the end waiting to see if any woodies would fly over and take a look at the three birds i had put out as deeks. Nothing about so headed along another hedgerow a little further down the lane. Managed another three woodies although it should have been five as i missed two easy birds which screamed out of the hedge in front of me. Unfortunately one of the woodies bounced off the deck and down into a massive land drain and another went into a wheat field. I had a look but couldnt find him and didnt want to trample down the farmers crop after a woodie. My mate was unlucky and didnt get a single shot as the birds all flew out on my side. I think it was probably because they were sheltering from the sun and my side was the shaded.

By this time, although i had only been out an hour i was sweating something chronic and a sunday afternoon in the pub seemed to be the way forward. So heading back to the car with my birds in my bag i was a happy lad. About 50 yds away from the car and we saw two crows high in the sky heading in our general direction. We hid in the hedge and i loaded two carts into the semi. Never had time for the third when one of the crows flew over me. I missed with the first but brought him down dead with the second. The smile on my face had grown even more. I think my mate was a bit savage as he didnt even bother laoding his gun. I slung the birds and gun in the boot and headed home.

We had to stop on the way home at my mates work so he could check his tractor was fine for work the following morning. I went for a wander round the back of the farm with the shottie and literally as i turned the corner to the field two hares came running straight at me. They panicked and turned but i hit the first with shot one and the second with shot three.

All in all a bloody brilliant day. Took the pigeon back and we did them on the barbecue after the footy. Wrapped them in tin foil, added chopped red peppers, and olive oil. They were beautiful. I gave the two hares to my mate who in turn gave them to his boss.

A nice pleasant morning, shame about the footy but it had to be expected, and a nice afternoon drinking and eating in the sun.

Cheers

Dan

your another victim then. im in the same boat.

thought we all killed stuff far to animal rights people on here for my likeing cart shoot this cart shoot that GET A LIFE i dont like people who shoot deers do i moan and say owt i like seein them

BASC.... British Association for Shooting and CONSERVATION?

Cheers

Dan

:lol:

To many people are slated on forums for war try do and don't if some1 does not follow the way of an other hunter and does the simplist thing rong eg like shooting foxes with a 22lr they get slated on sites like this not every1 has to follow the code of the perfect hunter he did wat he had to do to help the farmer and keep his land.

Good on u mate good pics as well

Cheers

LL

not getting at any1 here just saying

Edited by liamlumsden

so if farmer asked you to shoot say Canada geese at this time of year would you? What about English/Grey Partridges (in season) of which there are a few in your part of the world? Just because it's legal doesn't necessarily mean you have to.

I often get asked to shoot hares but explain to farmer I'm happy to do so during the game season but not at other times.

Some farmers are NOT the best custodians of the countryside and neither are shooters!

Do you know the difference between a 'shooter' and a 'hunter'?

due respect highlander which one are you? it is a hunting website after all. in the past when numbers were up i shot hares but since the decline in numbers round my area about 15 years ago i dont shoot em at all. but if numbers are up in other areas and the farmer wants em thinning out a wee bit do so on your permission if asked because other shooters lining up to do it for yer.

Edited by yickdaz

God forbid he used an airgun to shoot them...

If the farmer wants them shot, then you should follow their instruction. If you don't think they need shooting, stand up to the farmer and see who ends up victorious.

You have to remember that a lot of landowners like to do spot checks on what's being shot. If they know you've just walked through a field full of hares and ignored their instructions, you'll probably get a bit of a telling off - Especially if they were looking forward to hare for dinner.

due respect highlander what are which one are you? it is a hunting website after all. in the past when numbers were up i shot hares but since the decline in numbers round my area about 15 years ago i dont shoot em at all. but if numbers are up in other areas and the farmer wants em thinning out a wee bit do so on your permission if asked because other shooters lining up to do it for yer.

Totally agree