Logun S16 Vs AA S410k

dibbz2000

I know a lot of people on this forum love the Air Arms, but could I ask for some honest reviews of both the guns Pro's and Con's. Ive just bumped my budget up to £750 for a new Air Rifle Kit (Thanks student loans company :lol: )

I love the look of the Sweet 16, but ive heard good reviews for the S410k.

So any help would be much appreiciated as this would be an expensive wrong decision!!

Dibbz

ps any other suggestions appreciated!

Edited by dibbz2000

Well i'll jump in before everyone starts slating the S16. I have a Late version Mk1 S16 and to be honest, its been bloody fantastic. The cons are that it is pretty heavy and also requires a longer arm to use it comfortably. There are service issues but I have only had one seal blow and thats not bad when you consider how many there are on it. Performance wise though, its as good as anything else ive tried. I get 15mm groups at 30 metres and its pretty damn quiet as well. The buddy bottle also gives over 200 shots which is nice too. If your gonna get one though get it second hand as you WILL loose money on a new one.

The AA-S410 is proven, well built and accurate and one of the quietest about. I've not met anyone with a bad word about them. Doesnt have anywhere near the same number of shots but how many do you need for a day at HFT or an evening in the field?! My friend swears by his and the S410 is the wiser investment. Personally I dont like the feel of the stock, too chunky, but then it would be a pretty boring world if we were all the same.

Good luck

Edited by Axe

You are going to get a lot of people slagging off the S-16. The only thing against it is the "fit" if you have arms like a gibbon you will have no problems. It is a little "agricultural". However it is bullet proof as long as you do not double load a pellet you will be o.k.!

If you get one get it second hand as they have a very poor resale value. You will pick one up cheap.

The AAS410 is very "fashionable" at the moment. Mainly due to the fact it is a VERY good gun.

Back in the Summer I had the choice of an S-16 or an S410.

.................. I got the S410.

Have a look at the new BSA Scorpion carbine in your local dealer as an alternative to the 400 series. I have been shooting one for a few days now and consistency, number of shots and the trigger are all superb. Out of the box and ready to go. No need for tweaking etc. It is fitted with what I was told is a harmonic damper to prevent any annoying ringing sound on firing. Just under 7lbs in weight, just right for steady shots and light enough for tromping across fields with a ton of mud on each boot. Sling swivels fitted as standard.141205001.jpg

I am also a S16 Mk1 owner a earlier one aswell which is supposed to have loads of problems as you will read at some stage, this rifle to me is the puddles plums I love it, never had a problem and have shot many many bunnies/Magpies with it. Like you I am 6' 4" so the reach isnt a problem and I used to shoot a HW77K springer so the wieght issue isnt a problem either. It's all up to your personal prefference, the most common problem you will be told is the double loading of pellet's this is only down to user error not the rifle IMHO so that isnt't realy a problem is it. Anyway the choice is your's but as AXE/Snakebite have said a second hand gun can be a great bargain wether its a LOGUN or AIR ARMS because you have to get all the charging gear aswell I went for a stirrup pump myself it's not that hard to pump up the bottle and you get a 15minute work out at the same time (helps holding up the S16 on a long night lamping :lol::lol::lol: )

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JJaxeman

ive got a s-16 mk 2 not the shrouded barrel version the only problem ive had with it was a small seal found in the breach phoned logun and the engineer talked me through the strip down and re assemble i dont know any other manufacturer who would do this and it comes with a lifetime warranty like all loguns ive got mates with bsa carreer weirauch etc they all have to go and refill once a night ive never had to yet i think its great if you was near me in essex i would happily take you over my shoot and let you use it see for yourself maybee another member near you would do the same

i also own an AAs410k and find it fantastic. it's light, fast an never misses. and if i'm not mistaken you can double load the AAs410 as well as the s16. i have heard that the s16s take a bit more looking after than the s410 (seals etc) but if you look after them they look after you.

so all i can realy give you in the way of advice is try them both for size and fit. then see wot one feels better.

spider

i have heard that the s16s take a bit more looking after than the s410 (seals etc) but if you look after them they look after you.

Swings and roundabouts. Whilst the seals on the S16 might take more looking after the gun is a lot more robust and will take knocks and a good soaking in its stride. The Wood work on "conventional" looking guns is more of an issue and will show every ding and scratch.

You takes your choices.

The s16 is ****. It jams VERY regularly and leaks a lot too. It's badly balanced and as said you need arms like a gibbon to hold it. Sure some good ones got through and reading this thread so far will leave you with the impression that they aren't that bad. Whilst I'm pleased the above folk have got a good one in my experience they ARE very bad. I've had one and know of several others. ALL had to go back - some many times. Many gunshops simply stopped selling them as warranty hassles took all profit away. The new shrouded model is reputed to be a good improvement in reliability terms - frankly any improvement over the Mk1 would be easy to come by. JSR has been heavily discounting the last of the Mk1s for ages now and still hasn't shifted them. That alone should tell you something.

Funny isnt it, I have never had a jam and fired well over 2000 pellets through it. Neither has a good friend of mine. Anyway, since I obviously have a 'good one' its yours, ready to go complete with scope, Logun TDR Bag and Laser, for just £275 beer tokens. Owing to the fact I have to fund the purchase of a Sako Quad. :lol:

i tried to resist replying to hthis thread LOL

there are only 3 rifles i tell people not to touch with a barge pole:

GUN POWER STEALTH

LOGUN GLADIATION

LOGUN SWEET 16

almost all the other PCP rifles out there are pretty damn close to each other, its just personal preference over which one is best.

an S200 is no less accurate than a daystate MK3 (to the average shooter, which most of us are)

ROB :lol:

I've had a Logun S16S (the shrouded version) for two months, in that time I've put just over 800 pellets through it and not had a problem......until now :) . Don't get me wrong I think the sweet 16 is the best air rifle I have ever owned and it drops bunnies brilliantly - no thats the man behind the rifle :lol::lol: - but it does have one very big drawback - you have to break the cylinder seal to recharge it. Even the best seals in the world will only take so much resealing so the main cylinder seal is probably going to need replacing on a fairly regular basis (the seals are not easy to come by either). The good thing about the S16S is the fact that no matter how you try you can't knock the free floating barrel as you can with so many other PCP's and free floating=accuracy. Best of luck with your choice and I hope whatever you choose you get a good one.

P03

• 2 weeks later...

i dont own a sweet 16 but i have done some work on them and find them very heavy would`nt like to carry one of theses across the fields to far :thumbs: they shoot ok though ,i was in to my rapids at one time theres nothing i dont know about them tuneing ect and i dont mean useing t r robb kits ,my mate has the s410 carbine ,now thats a cracking little gun shame its in .177 ,much better in .22 for them rats ,i do like the look of the new BSA Scorpion carbine will have to have a play if i get the chance ,very nice indeed ;)

Just a further point regarding the S16S Vs the 410, the resale value of the 410 is very good and when one does come up for sale second hand, it is sold very quickly, whereas, the S16 doesn't usually attract many buyers and i have seen many come up for sale on other forums and not sold.

IMHO 410 is the one to go for.

Well i'll jump in before everyone starts slating the S16. I have a Late version Mk1 S16 and to be honest, its been bloody fantastic. The cons are that it is pretty heavy and also requires a longer arm to use it comfortably. There are service issues but I have only had one seal blow and thats not bad when you consider how many there are on it. Performance wise though, its as good as anything else ive tried. I get 15mm groups at 30 metres and its pretty damn quiet as well. The buddy bottle also gives over 200 shots which is nice too. If your gonna get one though get it second hand as you WILL loose money on a new one.

The AA-S410 is proven, well built and accurate and one of the quietest about. I've not met anyone with a bad word about them. Doesnt have anywhere near the same number of shots but how many do you need for a day at HFT or an evening in the field?! My friend swears by his and the S410 is the wiser investment. Personally I dont like the feel of the stock, too chunky,  but then it would be a pretty boring world if we were all the same.

Good luck

I also had the MK1 S-16 and never had a pick of bother with it it was accurate powerful and had NO leaks nore did i jam the barrel.

As for the other gun i have not owned held or used so i can't offer an HONEST opinion on it

On and in respect of Roblades post :thumbs:

I also own Gunpowers a Stealth AND a Shadow and i must say i have had very little trouble with them either. The Stealth is spot on and can whack bunnies all day at 45 yards with head shots no trouble ;)

Lord Geordie

Edited by Lord Geordie

Funny isnt it, I have never had a jam and fired well over 2000 pellets through it. Neither has a good friend of mine. Anyway, since I obviously have a 'good one' its yours, ready to go complete with scope, Logun TDR Bag and Laser, for just £275 beer tokens. Owing to the fact I have to fund the purchase of a Sako Quad. ;)

You have PM Axe.

LB