Pigeon decoy patterns

Robbo123

Yesterday I was out shooting on some set aside land full of weeds etc… where the pigeons had been landing. I set up my magnet and then the horseshoe pattern with full-bodied decoys. The pigeons were coming low across the field like they were committing but then just flying over the pattern and just landing in the trees near me or landing 10 metres to the left or right of the pattern. The decoys were facing into the wind as they should but I have a suspicion that my decoys were positioned too close together in the horseshoe shape. Would this make the birds not commit and on average in the pattern how far away should each pigeon be from each other??

Yesterday I was out shooting on some set aside land full of weeds etc… where the pigeons had been landing. I set up my magnet and then the horseshoe pattern with full-bodied decoys. The pigeons were coming low across the field like they were committing but then just flying over the pattern and just landing in the trees near me or landing 10 metres to the left or right of the pattern. The decoys were facing into the wind as they should but I have a suspicion that my decoys were positioned too close together in the horseshoe shape. Would this make the birds not commit and on average in the pattern how far away should each pigeon be from each other??

every day diffrent whot works today may not work tommorow try putting out 2 bunches of deaks 1 each side of the hide u may find the birds comeing into the safe ground betwen them good luck.

every day diffrent whot works today may not work tommorow try putting out 2 bunches of deaks 1 each side of the hide u may find the birds comeing into the safe ground betwen them good luck.

How much space was left in the middle of the horseshoe?. I like to have about 2 paces between each decoy and about 20 paces between the two sides of the horseshoe, giving the pigeon plenty of room to come in and showing plenty of room to escape if they feel the need.

Spend some time watching the birds on the fields and see what patterns they are forming.

I mostly have my decoys in separate groups, or clumps of 3 decoys forming the horseshoe shape.

Vary them a bit with not all birds facing directly into the wind, but across it.

No layout is foolproof, the only thing you can do if its not working, is try something a bit different.

One thing you can be sure of, it will be different the next time you go out. :good:

Spend some time watching the birds on the fields and see what patterns they are forming.

I mostly have my decoys in separate groups, or clumps of 3 decoys forming the horseshoe shape.

Vary them a bit with not all birds facing directly into the wind, but across it.

No layout is foolproof, the only thing you can do if its not working, is try something a bit different.

One thing you can be sure of, it will be different the next time you go out. :good:

I totally agree, I have also used small groups and also a J formation with the long side of the J furthest from the hide to encourage the pigeons to commit nearer to the hide, as you say every time can be different and it is good to make the changes and experiment then use what works succesfully noting the weather conditions on the day, crop hieght, wind direction position of the hide, and position of the sun etc, etc.

Bakerboy

sometimes it works better without the magnet,, one and day it will bring birds in from allover and the next it could spook them ??

its all trial and error ,, good luck ,, WILL

Its surprising how far away birds can see movement, especially in a decoy pattern.

If your shell decoys are on spring sticks and moving in the wind/breeze, plus a couple of floaters or bouncers, that will be seen just fine.

Try viewing your decoys and hide from a distance and see what it looks like, you might be surprised.

Ratman is rite other day i had 6 shells out and magnet they just wood not come within 100 yards move shells in first bird 50 sec s later landed next to magnet **** law i no . You just need to get of chair and move things about till you get it rite . JUST WATCH THE BIRDS THEY TELL YOU IF SOMETHING IS WRONG . ie decoy on its back or patten not just rite hope that helps SWISS

I shot over set aside ( old strawberry field) yesterday and found if I put out say 10 sillosock deeks in 2 groups of 5 with a 20 metre gap in between the groups - the incoming birds landed or tried to land in the space in between- right in front of my hide- the wind - be it only a slight breeze was coming directly behind me- an ideal scenario- I managed 13 birds for 17 shots in 1 hour. Then it got far too warm- so I came home- as the birdsjust headed for sitty trees around the area and out of range of my Beretta ;)

Its all about trial and error- some people just scatter deeks in any old fashion and no real pattern - yet still have birds commiting- horseshoe works as do the tramline patterns just a simple two lines about 20 metres apart, tapering towards the hide- woodies like to be at the head of the food queue and this set up funnels them towards the gun- Im use this style a lot and get good results

Just get out and play around with decoy patterns - look and see where the birds are landing prior to setting up the deeks and try to emulate the patterns they have formed on the ground - it may just work- observation is as important as the layout of decoys - Pigeons are not the most inteligent of birds- get the hide - pattern etc right and you'll have a good day

Most of all have fun

Les :good:

Edited by Lez325

you said 'where the pigeons had been landing' which tends to imply that the birds wanted to feed in that spot. If your magnet was putting them off (for whatever reason) then try using just floaters/bouncers plus some birds on the ground. As others have said 'if you do nothing, nothing happens' so try different options but give them a chance to work. If the birds don't change their approach in say 30 minutes (as long as you've had enough flying in to prove/dis-prove the theory) then alter your layout.

Think like a fisherman, it's all about catching birds ;)

Go down the libray and get out Pigeon Shooting by Archie Coats, and read it, then read it again! One thing is that i have noticed is that the pigeons dont have a field plan on how to feed in a J or semi circles patten. Pigeon are not draughtsmen or designers they are just hungry............

TEH