First Fox

brndn16

Got my first ever fox tonight well chuffed there are plenty of them on this new peace of land I've just started shooting saw about 4 or 5 last week so thought I would go down and see if I could bag one!

No sooner had I got the gun out the car and I spotted one so I tried getting down wind hiding a making a some calls. I called every five or so min's for about 25 mins before I thought I'll give up for now and shoot some rabbits instead I was about to change my carts over and what should go past at about 25 yard from me yep that right a fox so gave it both barrels and that was that!

IMGP0367.jpg

Well done on your first fox mate.

The only thing I would say about taking foxes with a shotgun regularly is to watch what size of shot you are using (Use as large as possible) and also do not get tempted to take them at any longer than practical ranges (No more than about 30 yards MAXIMUM) - It is so easy to forget about your ranges once the adrenalin gets pumping!

Good shooting mate! :lol::good::lol:

I much prefer using a rifle for foxing and think that it is a more safe and humane weapon to use but I don't have a problem with people who chose a shotgun to take foxes with as long as they remember these two important things!

I personally dont agree with using the biggest shot size you can. I personally use a slightly smaller shot size like 1's or 2's and get a decent pattern. Less chance of wounding the fox that way.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by bunny_blaster

The only thing I would say about taking foxes with a shotgun regularly is to watch what size of shot you are using (Use as large as possible) and also do not get tempted to take them at any longer than practical ranges (No more than about 30 yards MAXIMUM) - It is so easy to forget about your ranges once the adrenalin gets pumping!

Good shooting mate! :lol::good::lol:

I much prefer using a rifle for foxing and think that it is a more safe and humane weapon to use but I don't have a problem with people who chose a shotgun to take foxes with as long as they remember these two important things!

Yeah I would agree that a rifle is the ideal tool for the Job but don't have a FAC for one but something to look into for the future. I would guess I took the shot at about 25 yards away no more than 30 for sure.

Thanks everyone

we find we have to use shotguns as most of the time they are running. dad prefers 2 3/4 inch AAA's in a 40g load i think and i use 3"BB's thats is unless the 6 1/2 32g rabbit loads arn't in but even these upto 35yrds out are a nice clean kill (provided you are good enough to hit them in the head) but the BB's and particuly dads AAA's are very good at dropping foxes at 50 yrds! its not the loads or the distance thats the problem its the person behind the gun, you can tell people to limit how far they shoot with a shotgun (eg 30 yrds) when rifle shooters boast on here about out of range shooting!

anyway happy shooting to you all

we find we have to use shotguns as most of the time they are running. dad prefers 2 3/4 inch AAA's in a 40g load i think and i use 3"BB's thats is unless the 6 1/2 32g rabbit loads arn't in but even these upto 35yrds out are a nice clean kill (provided you are good enough to hit them in the head) but the BB's and particuly dads AAA's are very good at dropping foxes at 50 yrds! its not the loads or the distance thats the problem its the person behind the gun, you can tell people to limit how far they shoot with a shotgun (eg 30 yrds) when rifle shooters boast on here about out of range shooting!

anyway happy shooting to you all

what is out of range shooting in your eyes with a rifle?

As said though your cartridges were fine, I've used 32g rio 4's to good effect and it is just down to range. Foxes with shotguns need to be close personally I've not shot at one over 30 yards and had them from 10 yards with 7's out to 30 with 4's

Generally unless you are on fox drives its rare to set out for foxes just with a shotgun so as an opportunist shot you just use whatever you have in and make sure the range is right.

Good shooting mate! :lol::rolleyes::lol:

I completely agree, with shot larger than 1's you loose the pattern of the smaller shot and increase the risk of wounding the fox even with using both barrels. But then again it all boils down to the range the shotgun is being used at. If it is extremely close then shot larger than 1's or 2's are ok.

HARRIS

Last year I was sat down on the foreshore and watched a rabbit hop into view on the bank above, a while later after he'd gone a fox came by, was probably no more than 6 feet away but I couldn't shoot it.......as far as I was concerned he was after his supper, was doing no harm and I/we was miles away from the nearest farm....I must be a whimp :rolleyes:

Would of been my first but there seemed no point in it?! I do realise they need controlling though.

Last year I was sat down on the foreshore and watched a rabbit hop into view on the bank above, a while later after he'd gone a fox came by, was probably no more than 6 feet away but I couldn't shoot it.......as far as I was concerned he was after his supper, was doing no harm and I/we was miles away from the nearest farm....I must be a whimp :rolleyes:

Would of been my first but there seemed no point in it?! I do realise they need controlling though.

its fine had probably got bored of eating children and fancied rabbit for a change :lol: