.17HMR conudrum

Highlander

I have had a .17HMR (CZ varmint) for a number of years that I never cleaned (barrel or mod) and it shot like a dream. I’d zeroed it once when I bought it and never touched it since. It rides round with me all day in the truck and is a workhorse rather than a fancy piece of kit. :good:

The only shots I missed (no Olympic contender but at 100/150m quite deadly old chap) were, I believe, due to me pulling the shots so recently I decided to get the (factory) trigger altered to make it lighter (4lb down to just under 3lb) and crisper. At the same time I got the gunsmith to overhaul and clean everything.

OK now I come to re-zero the kit...not as easy as I thought :yes: and I kept getting two’s and two’s in a 2in circle plus a single in a 4ins circle. Go figure.

Anyway after trying and trying to get nice consistent groups i.e. 5 shots all in 1in circle without success (I like to head shot bunnies/crows) I’m about to give up and accept the situation until I’ve put a few more rounds through the newly cleaned barrel/mod.

Then I think OK I’ll try this. :good: The little plastic boxes that the .17 cartridges come in. Target 110m end on and each one (10) hit every time in quick succession which I think is well good enough for rabbit/crow shooting as that’s a what 40mm square. Only why is it that on paper targets I cannot get that sort of consistency...it has to be me right? Can I, should I, improve on that? OR should I wait until the barrel has been shot in again then re-zero? I shot 29 bunnies yesterday evening for 31 shots so how important is it?

I will be interested in the responses to this, I tried to zero my HMR barrel on my Sako Quad at the weekend, ok it was a bit breezy and as expected the first few shots were sprayed about a bit but after 30 or so rounds it wouldn't shoot a 3 shot group less than 2". Like you Highlander I took the view that it would shoot in and be ok but I would like to get more consistency - out of interest what range do you zero your HMR at and just how much impact does wind have on this wee round?

Zero range 110m (just the way my target range is set up, length of quarry from stand to backstop) and no I don't tend to have too much trouble with wind. I know it's a small round but it's so b***** fast IMO wind doesn't make much difference at those ranges. Furthest I've shot bunnies is 180m and then wind might be a bit more of a problem but most of my shooting is around 100m and often less. I'm inclined to use fieldcraft to get in close...drive and shoot off the wing mirror! :good:

Hi,

No, mate, it's not just you as it's also me and my shooting mate and if the truth were known, most of us. We try too hard and/or chase the error. Then we get fed up and just blast away at any old target, fag packet, ammo box, whatever and hey presto! I always shoot better in the field than I do when zeroing. Relax and enjoy.

Cheers

It's true, we're all guilty of taking far too much time lining everything up when zeroing. So much so that the inevitable wobble set in or you pull the shot. If you're hitting the 40mm target just fine I'd assume you're bob on and just get on with it. If you start missing stuff then go back and recheck the zero.

I will be interested in the responses to this, I tried to zero my HMR barrel on my Sako Quad at the weekend, ok it was a bit breezy and as expected the first few shots were sprayed about a bit but after 30 or so rounds it wouldn't shoot a 3 shot group less than 2". Like you Highlander I took the view that it would shoot in and be ok but I would like to get more consistency - out of interest what range do you zero your HMR at and just how much impact does wind have on this wee round?

i found this with my marlin, fine for 20 or 30 then goes to pieces; ive been told that the hmr is a very dirty round and needs constant cleaning to maintain accuracy, and i have to admit a good clean sorts it. also i think the barrels probably not broken in yet :good:

It's true, we're all guilty of taking far too much time lining everything up when zeroing. So much so that the inevitable wobble set in or you pull the shot. If you're hitting the 40mm target just fine I'd assume you're bob on and just get on with it. If you start missing stuff then go back and recheck the zero.

:good:

I watched this happen last night with my mates hmr, he'd put a new scope on it and wanted to zero in, target set @ 100 yards, he put 2 through the centre once zeroed in quick succession and then the third shot was inches off to the right. I knew he was taking a long time before that shot (trying to get it just right) and consequently ending up pulling the shot. I said 'lets just get on with it and see how it goes', sure enough he shot 12 rabbits for 14 shots out to 120 yards. That's good enough I reckon.

Edited by mick miller

I honestly think that we all suffer from a similar problem when shooting at paper targets - we aim for perfection and in the process we try to get everything perfect and hold our aim just that little bit too long which causes the rifle to start to move a fraction - Maybe not enough to notice but it enough to make a difference at 100 yards or so. When we are shooting at live quarry we know that we do not have all the time in the world and take the shot a little quicker than we would with a paper target so the rifle does not have time to start to wander slightly off aim!

Here's something to try to highlight what I am saying - Once you have your rifle and scopes zeroed set a paper target up at your usual range and put 5 shots at it but make sure that every shot is taken within 5 seconds of going on aim, then do exactly the same with a fresh target and another 5 shots but this time taking your time trying to make sure that everything is "perfect", you might well be quite surprised at the results!

I had a grouping issue with my HMR. I started with the Mod which I had never cleaned and that didn't solve it...

Anyways, to cut a long story short...

Don't use hollow point ammo of any description - use something like the Hornady ballistic tips.

Problem now solved. Had a zero check the other night and it clover leafed at 90 yards.