Noisy Gulls

inshallah

Anyone got any ideas on how to deter noisy gulls? I live on a narrowboat and our mooring seems to have become a gull colony. They don't shut up all night, and make a hell of a mess on the boats. Shooting them is not an option - we don't own the land or have permission to shoot on the mooring or the buildings where they seem to nest. Anything that could scare them off?

Move I live on the coast I have herring gull nests on every other chimney in my road no way can we sleep with the windows open due to the noise!!! but I would not dream of shooting or detering them its their home as well.

KW

Move I live on the coast I have herring gull nests on every other chimney in my road no way can we sleep with the windows open due to the noise!!! but I would not dream of shooting or detering them its their home as well.

Thats a bit extreme and very niaive - gulls, as well as being an absolute pest, ripping open trash bags, can destroying the paintwork on your car, and also be very dangerous by attacking people when they have young in the nest or if they decide that the sweet or chocolate a child has is going to be their lunch.

Plus, as you say yourself, a nest on every chimney and length of guttering, which amounts to great expense per year getting your chimney cleared and gutters cleaned.

I lived in St Leonards some time ago, had a constant battle against them - hated the things.

In the RN years ago when they caused megga damage to very expensive and delicate equipment, the answer was a small nugget of phosphorous in a piece of bread thrown into the air. That used to reduce the population and the consequential damage by their constant nest building and vast amount of stinking droppings.

I have notice the last few weeks how noisy they are

And i dont even live near the sea :yes:

I know they come inland during the winter (well they do round here)

But i have never heard them in the summer.

Do you think it could be something to do with global warming :oops: Or the fact they have got fed up with ******* on the bedsheets of Clacton.

And have decided to come **** on mine instead :yes:

xxxxSuzy

P.s i have tried seagull

And it made me very :yes: .

I have notice the last few weeks how noisy they are

And i dont even live near the sea :yes:

I know they come inland during the winter (well they do round here)

But i have never heard them in the summer.

Do you think it could be something to do with global warming :oops: Or the fact they have got fed up with ******* on the bedsheets of Clacton.

And have decided to come **** on mine instead :yes:

xxxxSuzy

P.s i have tried seagull

And it made me very :yes: .

We're inland and they live here permanently, and they are always noisy between mid Summer and Autumn. But this year is extreme. There seems to be more of them and they're a lot noisier than any other year. They also do seem to be noisier in hotter summers, so maybe I'll sell the Volvo and buy a nissan micra and do my bit for CO2. Yes, I bet they taste 'orrible.

Anyone got any nuggets of phosphorous then?

We're inland and they live here permanently, and they are always noisy between mid Summer and Autumn. But this year is extreme. There seems to be more of them and they're a lot noisier than any other year. They also do seem to be noisier in hotter summers, so maybe I'll sell the Volvo and buy a nissan micra and do my bit for CO2. Yes, I bet they taste 'orrible.

Anyone got any nuggets of phosphorous then?

In my youth the sailors used to use calcium carbide - ooo very messy and these days probably illegal :good: :good:

They are loud around my area right now cuz of new young. i cant sleep some nights even with closed double glazed windows. been very tempted some nights to take out the gun, but dont fancy getting done for armed trespass or whatever. I remember in 2005 when newquay residents started to shoot the birds due to a growing amount of damage and attacks on humans...mainly children....News report

My advice is if there is a nest near your area get rid of it. other than that...good luck with the noise and damage.lol

Edited by darklighterz7611

We have a little farm we shoot over that backs onto a tip, the noise those gulls make, (probaly 1000's), when they lift is deafening. If I hear a gull around our way, which is well inland, I hanker to be by the sea :good: I guess you have to learn to live with them?

Anyone got any ideas on how to deter noisy gulls? I live on a narrowboat and our mooring seems to have become a gull colony. They don't shut up all night, and make a hell of a mess on the boats. Shooting them is not an option - we don't own the land or have permission to shoot on the mooring or the buildings where they seem to nest. Anything that could scare them off?

Hi David

Perhaps you could use that new kryptonite catapult and some moon rock, you never know what might happen, and to think we sat in a field for 3 hours talking about pigeons etc.

Terry

We have a little farm we shoot over that backs onto a tip, the noise those gulls make, (probaly 1000's), when they lift is deafening. If I hear a gull around our way, which is well inland, I hanker to be by the sea :good: I guess you have to learn to live with them?

It wasnt too bad untill the young arrived.....now its almost beyond living with.....im moving in 4 days tho so dont mind :hmm:

Gulls ! Just another species of vermin and dirty noisy ones at that. Basically there is nothing you can legally do about them, here on accessible roofs the L.A. will come and paint the eggs with a sealant to prevent them hatching. Which can all be a waste of time when other householders encourage these flying rats by feeding them and allowing nests on their properties.

Blackpowder

One reason they all moved inland!

Easy and vast amounts of food!

Everyones waste makes easy pickings so we have nobody to blame but ourselves! Personally I think there should be a cull on the ones that have set up home inland as they eat everything in sight and the smaller song birds are finding it a real struggle.

I have noticed a HUGE increase in their numbers over the past 3 years and also Magpies and Crows etc!

We have a flock of at least 200 gulls frequent this area because the **** that owns the local corner shop throws out around 7 loaves of stale bread a day on the grass outside the shop.

Add to that the scruffy twonks who live up the back etc that toss their left over sunday dinner on the grass verges and you have a recipie for Gull and rats.

A nice stiff littering fine ought to make them think twice :shoot:

A friend of mine who used to live in a devon fishing village said that they used to squeeze togeter dessicated coconut and throw it to the gulls. They would then eat it fly about 50ydsthen the coconut would expand and kill them. Not sure how true this is and i'm fairly certain it would be illegal but thought I would share