Am i seeing things

deputy dog

I thought the only bird of prey to hover motionless is the kestrel family. But recently iv started seeing buzzards doing exactly the same thing especially one breezy and gusty days. I live in a valley area in South Wales with mountains boths side of my house. I see kestrels hovering looking for prey on the ground, but not as common as they once were unfortunately. But over the last couple of months, iv been seeing to my disbelief, adult buzzards taking to the wind like kestrels and hovering for a good minute or so looking for prey items. My question is to you the fellow members, have any of you wittnessed such sightings of buzzards hovering like kestrels looking for food. Or am i just going nuts an seeing things.

ATB

DD

I thought the only bird of prey to hover motionless is the kestrel family. But recently iv started seeing buzzards doing exactly the same thing especially one breezy and gusty days. I live in a valley area in South Wales with mountains boths side of my house. I see kestrels hovering looking for prey on the ground, but not as common as they once were unfortunately. But over the last couple of months, iv been seeing to my disbelief, adult buzzards taking to the wind like kestrels and hovering for a good minute or so looking for prey items. My question is to you the fellow members, have any of you wittnessed such sightings of buzzards hovering like kestrels looking for food. Or am i just going nuts an seeing things.

ATB

DD

Kestrels and buzzards hover amigo :blink:

Yes that is the difference a buzzard is not really hovering it is statonary above the ground ( ground speed ) but there is air flowing over its wings ( air speed ) so it is the equivalent to moving fowards on a still day. Where as a kestrel will move its wings to hover its is just a lot less energy consuming on a breezy day.

Yes that is the difference a buzzard is not really hovering it is statonary above the ground ( ground speed ) but there is air flowing over its wings ( air speed ) so it is the equivalent to moving fowards on a still day. Where as a kestrel will move its wings to hover its is just a lot less energy consuming on a breezy day.

Buzzards do actually flap to hover exactly the same as kestrels even with little or no wind (so do other birds of prey) but they can only do it for very short periods its always assumed that a kestrel is the only hovering raptor probably because its the only one that can do it for a considerable length of time.

KW