.17HMR

Pedro

I am delighted with my Savage 9317 SS (£350.00 screw cut + 1/2" groups at 125 yards) - but reckon you will have to spend a little more than you plan to get a rifle, scope and mod - even if you opt for a CZ.

Unless you strike lucky with a SH scope you will need to spend almost as much on that as on the gun.

You will need a scope with plenty of magnification. There is no point in having a gun that will blat crows at over 200 yards if you cannot see them!

The .17 HMR is a high velocity round - forget about the £30 mods that work on your .22. You will need to spend £50.00 to £100.00 on a decent mod (and some would say even more).

Badsworth

I know a lot of people who have had good ones but mine wasnt. In my opinion its a gamble buying one, but thats my opinion which is no doubt worth ****. Why buy a gun that HAS to be fettled to get the best out of it. Time and effort costs lots of money. Then again, I dount want to sound snobby but £400 for rifle scope and moderator isnt going to go very far. Dont forget that expensive .17 calibre cleaning rod at £30, £30 Mod, Minimum 100 quid for a scope with magnification suitable for the calibre(that doesent zero shift and will work at night.......pushing it!).That only leaves £240 for the rifle!.......mounts?............bipod...........sling......swivels........... it all adds up. I'd wait a while longer and save a litle more. Sorry but you asked for opinions. Ive shot a lot of guns in my time and not many of them were rubbish, all the ones that were had a connection though..........................

the only thing i will say is this.

if my wife sees this iam in the brown stuff.

she thinks they are £200 each including the extras.

mods feel free to delete this thread. :D

the first .17hmr i had was a bruno that didnt last long

well

6ft how many,20odd stone, size 11 daisies. youd wreck a tank mate ;)

I've been allowed about £400 to spend on the rifle, scope and moderator, (maybe a bit more if I can giggle the books!)

I made theExpensive MISTAKE of getting a new Ruger .22lr and scope for £450 instead of the Sako Finnfire(gun only) for £500 :lol:

It has been said already and that is save a few more pounds unless you want to end up like me and make do with something your not entirely happy with :D

I reccomend the Sako Quad ;)

And if you want something that looks nice Ruger Laminate and S/S .......£500 + though :(

Ive

i am a fan of the 452, as previously mentioned.

i was going to buy a anschutz, but both couldnt afford it and disliked the bolt lift issue. i have shot a few rounds of running boar with the anschutz and this problem did my head in. having said that, almost all anschutz owners i talk to are very happy, they say the bolt lift issue is solved by an adjusted grip.

and the guns are very nice.

but a 452 is half the price if you know where to look. the trigger kit is a small weak point. but for £8 direct from brooks, and 5mins to fit it, and get a trigger 99% of the standard of the anschutz. i think its worth saving the £200

the sako's are also nice, they are very accurate (like most rimfires these days, the truth be known) but for £500 they dont have amazing wood and too much plastic for my liking.

but they function flawlessly (bar occasionaly not ejecting unfired rounds, but most rimfires suffer this at some point, but just not to such anextent) the sako, is very nice looking, and the quality of blueing etc... is in my opinion one of the best in the industry.

just too much plastic.

take your pick,

the 452 requires some free floating down the r/h side, and a £8 trigger kit.

the anschutz has a anoying bolt lift issue, which results in a failure to fire.

the sako has an issue with ejecting unfire cases, and has a little bit too much plastic.

given the chance i would like to give the anschutz a go in the field. they are good guns. although with a 13" (or is it 14") barrel on some models, they are too short in my opinion.

Thanks to one and all. Spookily I looked at the Sako whilst first thinking about a rifle. I was impressed by the finish and the overall build quality. It would appear that you get what you pay for. It seems that the old credit card is going to have to take a bit of a bashing and I'll have to pretend it was spent on something "usefull".

Anyway, I'm 41 in a couple of weeks, so it's my pressie to me!

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks to one and all. Spookily I looked at the Sako whilst first thinking about a rifle. I was impressed by the finish and the overall build quality. It would appear that you get what you pay for. It seems that the old credit card is going to have to take a bit of a bashing and I'll have to pretend it was spent on something "usefull".

Anyway, I'm 41 in a couple of weeks, so it's my pressie to me!

Cheers,

Pete

Go for it Pedro, your only 41 once. ;):D

"the 452 requires some free floating down the r/h side, and a £8 trigger kit"

every cz 452 owned has needed this, every one...... the factory know about this yet if they cant get of their fat ***** to straighten up the barrel channel, a problem that has been known about for a long time what does it say for their quality control? A bit of CAD/CAM/CNC reprogramming! if they cant be bothered then neither can I.

SAKO Quad, ok a slightly cheap stock, but a very good action, and oooohhhhh no, a plastic bolt shroud/handle, mine never had ejection problems either, unlike the CZ which wouldnt feed 20% of the time.

In finalnd they shoot in the cold, and i mean cold, why do you think they use plastic for the mags and bolt handle, price maybe, stop it freezing to your hand, yefinately! Everyone harps on about how great "Synthetic" and "Composite" stocks are, fine but except the macmillans and other high end stuff, they are all just short fibre reinforced Nylon's yes just like clutch pedals in french cars! But nobody complains about them being plastic, hell even a macmillan is mostly plastic(thermosetting yes but still a polymer) reinforced with glass and aramid products(oh yeah, they are plastics/polymers too). Only americans complain about plastic because they believe that products are of a lower quality if they have plastic(ooh polymer sounds so much better)components. They make everything from steel but would you drive an american car, with our petrol prices.

rant over. plastice/polymers are wonderfull just ask a polymer scientist!

i was reffering to the sako finfire, sorry i didnt make that clear.

the reason i dont like plastics is quite simply this.

i dont like plastic

no reason.

there was nothing wrong with metal, its better looking and feels nicer, and if its cold enough for you gun to freeze to you, ****** being outside. i would be indoors inbed.

sako have also to my knoledge (thats not to say im right) recently (since they made the finfire) started using plastic on rifles. so what did they do before then wear gloves?

the sako 75 seemed to sell fine.

the quad has also been criticised for its lack of free floating, and has been discredited by alot of Sako fans.

perosonally i think the quad is a bit of a gimik. even with the multi zero scope, replacing a barrel in a gun can only cause problems. if you have to have removeable barrels, do it properly and have the scope mounted to the barrel.

but each to their own hey ;) im sure your quad is a quality product, most Sako's are.

i personally would save £200 and buy a nicer scope for my 452.

or spend £400 and get a weihrauch hw60j, which is built better than any of the above mentioned guns, has a better trigger, and hasnt got any plastic. and its a bit more different than a cz.

If your wallet is deep enough then go for the Anschutz. An Anschutz rifle is a joy to shoot with and has probably the best “out-of-the-box” trigger you will ever use.

Nick, if you are worried by the bolt lifting on the Anschutz then you are in for an awful time with the Howa when you get it. ;)

G.M.

I am delighted with my Savage 9317 SS (£350.00 screw cut + 1/2" groups at 125 yards) - but reckon you will have to spend a little more than you plan to get a rifle, scope and mod - even if you opt for a CZ.

Unless you strike lucky with a SH scope you will need to spend almost as much on that as on the gun.

You will need a scope with plenty of magnification. There is no point in having a gun that will blat crows at over 200 yards if you cannot see them!

The .17 HMR is a high velocity round - forget about the £30 mods that work on your .22. You will need to spend £50.00 to £100.00 on a decent mod (and some would say even more).

Badsworth

Good point Badsworth, about the price of the Mod.

Fister, I am about to put my money down on a new Sako Quad with two barrels one in .22LR and the other .17HMR both at standard length and running a SAK mod. Should be good enough for me anyway. Could you expand on the ejhection of unused rounds and the plastic magazine?

Nick, I'm not being funny, but have you actually held a Quad. You mention free floating problems on the barrels. I would imagine that you mean the barrel sits too close to the fore end of the stock. On my visit to see the Quad just before Christmas, it was pretty clear that the barrel is more than floated. A business card was run under the barrel all the way to the breech. If in my haste to answer I have missed something, please put me right.

axe, the problems are not first hand experiance, but that i have read on other forums and heard from word of mouth.

i believe the issue was once a bipod was fitted the stock would flex and touch some of the barrels.

when i talk about the lift issue i am reffering to the problem that when you close the bolt, preparing to take a shot, if you lift the bolt a very small amount (like knocking it) the shot will not go off when you pull the trigger.

as i said, its a recognised problem, like wit the CZ nothing has been done about it, it does not affect accuracy, its just anoying.

never the less, most anschutz owners are very happy indeed.

axe, the problems are not first hand experiance, but that i have read on other forums and heard from word of mouth.

i believe the issue was once a bipod was fitted the stock would flex and touch some of the barrels.

when i talk about the lift issue i am reffering to the problem that when you close the bolt, preparing to take a shot, if you lift the bolt a very small amount (like knocking it) the shot will not go off when you pull the trigger.

as i said, its a recognised problem, like wit the CZ nothing has been done about it, it does not affect accuracy, its just anoying.

never the less, most anschutz owners are very happy indeed.

You can say that again Nick i have 2 anshutz one in .22 and a .177hmr and would not swap either of them. ;):D :( :lol:

Thanks Nick its somethign I had breifly considered about the Sako but had not resolved. That was to be left for the second trip, at least I can go prepared now.

The Anschutz bolt, well I have been fortunate to have been using an ANschutz for a whilenow and the bolt thing is just not a problem. I agree that for the money you pay, it shouldnt happen but this does not affect the performance if you are aware of it. The only other thing I dislike with the Anschutz is the Safety. It s a ****** with gloves and cold fingers, but thats just my prefernce. If could afford one, I would buy the 1417 Thumbhole over anything else.