New Gun

garyb

Saw this on the rack of my local RFD a couple of weeks ago, so after waiting for a variation it's now mine... Having shot a couple I know just how good and under estimated these old guns are.

It's a Parker Hale 1200 in .308Win, and will become my stalking tool of choice (so long as it shoots!)

Off to zero it shortly with some 150grain Factory Fed Fusions, before working up a reload for it.

8ff6b1f54ee742d5bc58e0140019f525.jpg

Thanks chaps... Haven't got round to zeroing it yet, as I didn't notice the rail was loose when I took it to the range yesterday :S

Did manage to bore sight, and fire it though, and it went bang and made a big hole in my target :yes:.... Recoil was managable, even without a mod.... Much better than other 308's I've fired in the past... :angry:

Probably wont get chance to have a play tonight either!

Roll on Saturday when I can go make some noise!

Edited by garyb

Indeed... I was tempted to part with £700 odd for a new Remmy 700, but when I felt the trigger of both.. the PH was much better!

I wanted something I could take away and shoot, and not have to spend more money on to get it shooting right.

bargainacious :angry:

I've got a .308 Midland which I've recently had screwcut. It was a bargain to buy and with my homeloads shoots sub 1inch groups now. I almost traded it in for a Howa but took a step back and thought to myself why would I do that when it's dropping deer so nicely. I reckon these guns were probably the equivalent of modern Tikka and Sako rifles back in the day. I saved my money and spend it on the actual stalking instead.

Hi

Nowt wrong with Parker-Hale rifles at all - I'm still using an M81 Classic I think it was called, in .243, from the early/mid 80s. Still shoots well with home-loads if I do my bit.

Had some minor mods done to it with a Canjar? trigger and Raeburn? three position safety (might be the other way round) in the early 90s and threaded recently.

It was difficult choosing between yours and the M81 at the time as both looked rather good - I wasnt sure of the white spacers and flattened fore-end so the word 'Classic' sold it!

I am sure it will see you ok.

Cheers

L

• 3 months later...

Small update...

Picked up an old Leupold scope for my 22lr the other day, and I was so impressed with the glass and the general "old school" look of thing I've put it onto the 308 and moved the S&B onto the 22!

c1cf342f7f4a57c61994b7a4b4fde84f.JPG

It's shooting half inch groups with my 1st batch of homeloads... since then I've played with the trigger some more and am considering having it re-bedded at the local 'smith.

Superb gun for what is really...pocket money.

I want another now :)