round in the chamber yes or no?

had a minor disagreement with a do-gooder greenam common lesbian supporter at the weekend regarding this,whilst moving around shooting at day or night does anyone here keep the chamber loaded? Then unload the chamber when moving over gates etc? Or do others here load once quarry is targeted? I aim this (forgive the pun) at rifle shooting,although semi auto shotgun comes in as well I suppose. Peoples thoughts.

I have both semi-auto and rifle and always keep one in the chamber with the safety on when there is potential to shoot. I always unload the chamber and put in the saf-t-plug (semi auto) when crossing a fence, putting my gun back in the slip or in a situation where it is clearly unsuitable to have a gun live.

i know you mentioned semi-auto shotguns only but i always think its sensible to ready the gun just before you are going to use it.

i was in my hide at the weekend and the fold away stool i was sitting on collapsed!!! my shotgun's action was open and there was no risk it could go off.

had it have been closed i might have created a skylight:)

i know you mentioned semi-auto shotguns only but i always think its sensible to ready the gun just before you are going to use it.

i was in my hide at the weekend and the fold away stool i was sitting on collapsed!!! my shotgun's action was open and there was no risk it could go off.

had it have been closed i might have created a skylight:)

:good::good: They dont make stools like they used to, thats all mate. :hmm:

Although, there is a funny story about an unberella that now lets in water. Not sure if i can mention it, but i think the people in question might do :hmm:

:good::good: They dont make stools like they used to, thats all mate. :hmm:

Although, there is a funny story about an unberella that now lets in water. Not sure if i can mention it, but i think the people in question might do :good:

:good: maybe i should think about going on a diet.

it was one of those fold away metal ones, my wife got it from the trafford centre :hmm:

but it does just go to show that the unexpected can happen.

:good: maybe i should think about going on a diet.

it was one of those fold away metal ones, my wife got it from the trafford centre :hmm:

but it does just go to show that the unexpected can happen.

anything can happen. Its a ****** if it does though. :hmm:

1 in the chamber for me when im out and about, but i always ensure gun is safe before i climb any gates etc. Its a pain in the *** when your out with the rifle and have to go through the process off loading a round, ie i mean the noise the bolt and action makes when chambering, this noise is deafening, especially when mr rennard is sitting watching you. But at all other times, walking road etc, the chamber is empty, unless im on private land.

tell us more about the "do-gooder greenam common lesbian supporter" they must be some kind of firearms enthusiast to realise you had a round in the chamber.

Its been done before it will be done in the future. MC won't load till a fox has gone :hmm:

a fair number of the rest of us will keep one in and safety on just depends where you are, who you're out with and a long list of other factors. Auto wise I'll drop the round out of the chamber and leave it open for fences etc and leave the rounds in the mag

An very talented old friend of mine lost his life to "one in the chamber - just to be ready" nobody knows exactly what happened but he climbed over a fence and fell somehow. Worked his butt off all his life, retired, 3 months later a stupid accident ended it all.

I think you might now know my opinion of "one in the chamber".

BTW, it was a SxS 12 gauge.

1 in the chamber and muzzle awareness for rifles. For semi auto shotguns I load up, apply the magazine cut off and leave the cartridge in the housing, then all i need to do is release the cut off and i have a fully loaded gun. But i always unload when crossing obsticles, steep loose ground, fences etc.

EDR

An very talented old friend of mine lost his life to "one in the chamber - just to be ready" nobody knows exactly what happened but he climbed over a fence and fell somehow. Worked his butt off all his life, retired, 3 months later a stupid accident ended it all.

sadly that is an accident that shouldn't have ever happened, he was silly and paid the price you never cross fences etc with a loaded gun

Shotgun - only loaded with safety on in the field, any gates or unstable ground and gun is opened and carts removed

Rifle - never keep one in the chamber, always load up when the shot presents itself. dont think a 'snapshot' with any rifle is the safest shot. if you dont have time to cock the bolt and then shoot then the 'target' gets to live a little longer.

bottom line is..safety is paramount, nobody goes out to get injured but malkiserow's story shows accidents do happen, do everything you can to avoid them.

tell us more about the "do-gooder greenam common lesbian supporter" they must be some kind of firearms enthusiast to realise you had a round in the chamber.

Its been done before it will be done in the future. MC won't load till a fox has gone :hmm:

a fair number of the rest of us will keep one in and safety on just depends where you are, who you're out with and a long list of other factors. Auto wise I'll drop the round out of the chamber and leave it open for fences etc and leave the rounds in the mag

Slightly incorrect as you well know but as you are looking for a rise and it is monday morning you will get it. I shoot nearly every week with a very experienced fox shooter, he is only a few short of 1000 so far. He will drive around his farms and I will be out the top of his car shooting the rabbits with my 10/22. If we see a fox while lamping he will stop, get out the car and load while doing that. He then will use the bonnet of his car as a rest. He does use a night vision scope so has a bit of an advantage but certainly makes more noise stopping the car and getting out than loading the rifle. He doesn't always get the fox but 99% of the time it is a dead fox.

However the Herts know it alls who probably hold the lamp on the fox for hours while trying to decide what claibre to apply for in their next variation claim that the fox will run at the slightest noise.

And my answer to the OP's question is my guns are never ready to fire until I am ready to take a shot, if I am moving about then the gun is uncocked. You will NEVER shoot anyone with an unloaded gun.

sorry for you're loss,he broke one of the golden rules,unload going over gates!

ive yet to see a fox shot with an unloaded gun either :hmm::good:

Lay off the vodka and read the post again. Nowhere does it say about shooting an unloaded gun. I never have a loaded gun if I am on the move, there is never a need for it. Only when you are about to take the shot.

Still some of you are just accidents waiting to happen, and some of us are safe. :hmm:

Mc,do you apply you're rule whilst shooting from a 4x4. ,I.e. Unloaded until ready to shoot,unloading after target hit?

Yes, always unloaded unless ready to take the shot. it takes no time at all to let the bolt forward while the 4 x 4 is stopping. The only time I won't unload is when there is another rabbit and we are going to move slightly to get a better shot at it.

Anything can happen while driving about on fields or tracks and an unloaded rifle is the only way in my opinion. Others may not agree but I really couldn't give a toss. As I have already said, noone has ever been shot with an empty gun. However accidents can and do happen when the gun is loaded.

I do not believe in a "Safety" catch and I firmly believe that it is the wrong name for it as well. It is a mechanical device which can fail, why rely on it?

Yes, always unloaded unless ready to take the shot. it takes no time at all to let the bolt forward while the 4 x 4 is stopping. The only time I won't unload is when there is another rabbit and we are going to move slightly to get a better shot at it.

Anything can happen while driving about on fields or tracks and an unloaded rifle is the only way in my opinion. Others may not agree but I really couldn't give a toss. As I have already said, noone has ever been shot with an empty gun. However accidents can and do happen when the gun is loaded.

I do not believe in a "Safety" catch and I firmly believe that it is the wrong name for it as well. It is a mechanical device which can fail, why rely on it?

wasent it elmer keith who says the same in all his books.

Absolutely no idea,

I have had gun safety drummed into me since I was about 4 years old, if I was ever seen pointing a cap gun at anyone I would get yelled at. I am not about to change my habits just because someone on an internet forum or someone who has paid for a DSC tells me it is fine to rely on a safety catch.

A very good friend of mine once had a rifle pointed straight at his face which was loaded and bolt closed. When he had a go at the owner the reply he got was "IT's OK the safety is on"

If anyone ever did that to me they would need a bloody good surgeon to remove it from their *****.

Absolutely no idea,

I have had gun safety drummed into me since I was about 4 years old, if I was ever seen pointing a cap gun at anyone I would get yelled at. I am not about to change my habits just because someone on an internet forum or someone who has paid for a DSC tells me it is fine to rely on a safety catch.

A very good friend of mine once had a rifle pointed straight at his face which was loaded and bolt closed. When he had a go at the owner the reply he got was "IT's OK the safety is on"

If anyone ever did that to me they would need a bloody good surgeon to remove it from their *****.

he would have to have paid me a lot of money not to call the police.