wildfowling dog

jay851

I heard of a lab looking for re homing yesterday thats not far from you, 10 months old bought with a decent working pedigree but bought by a family with 2 young kids who thought it wouldn't need much exercise and could be kept in a puppy cage :lol:

done nothing but if you thought it might be a possibility I can find out more would be free to a good home as well

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to be a goldie in my opinion best fowling dog ever but my springer comes along for the ride

:good: ....love the pic' of the Springer in the creek, Goldie is lovely too :hmm: , all I can say is don't get a GSP as a wildfowling dog, Springer no problem but my GSP just isn't up to it, poor lass!

• 8 years later...
On 08/09/2010 at 11:10, WGD said:

If you're going for a springer (more than capable) research the breeding and see the parents. Make sure the mating is likely to produce heavier built dogs with a patient (in spaniel terms :good: ) nature. You don't want a trial bred rocket sitting out with you, it's not a lot of fun - believe me.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was just reading about using springers for Fowling and thought this fine to discuss.

My first springer was not a trial bred dog, she was hot as anything, whined like hell and wouldn't sit still. She was a nice dog but these inherent faults did my head in.

As some of you may have read I now have a young springer dog, hes just over 13 months. Hes from trial lines with both parents competing and placing in the top dogs in trials each year. 

He is calm as anything, lives in the house, almost totally silent, and not mental and itching to go like my old dog. The old dog had hardly any trial lines. 

It seems to be very hard to say which dogs will be nuts and which won't. 

If you do your home work and read up on the lines you can find a lot. My dogs lines are apparently quite soft but easy to train and really come into their own around 18 months, I have found that true so far and hope that he truly does come into his own at 18 months :) 

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2010 at 14:26, robc89 said:

My lab is far from trained but its in him that if he can get something from water he is on it and will retrieve no matter what. Such a shame i cant get any wildfowling down my way as i beleive he would be in his element.

Join Cornwall wildfowlers and Shoot on the Camel estuary

I'm biased as I used ESS's for fowling one was the size of a small lab the other Cocker sized, the smaller retrieved everything, teal to canadas, live and dead, the other hated the taste of wigeon, teal, woodcock, snipe, and all the divers, and would drop them at the waters edge for me to retrieve. I've seen other breeds do the same so it is not as simple as getting a dog that is wildfowling oriented.

On 21/06/2019 at 10:00, Lloyd90 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was just reading about using springers for Fowling and thought this fine to discuss.

My first springer was not a trial bred dog, she was hot as anything, whined like hell and wouldn't sit still. She was a nice dog but these inherent faults did my head in.

As some of you may have read I now have a young springer dog, hes just over 13 months. Hes from trial lines with both parents competing and placing in the top dogs in trials each year. 

He is calm as anything, lives in the house, almost totally silent, and not mental and itching to go like my old dog. The old dog had hardly any trial lines. 

It seems to be very hard to say which dogs will be nuts and which won't. 

If you do your home work and read up on the lines you can find a lot. My dogs lines are apparently quite soft but easy to train and really come into their own around 18 months, I have found that true so far and hope that he truly does come into his own at 18 months  

It’s a 2010 thread I’m sure  the dogs bought trained and worn out by now