out shooting today

remmy1100

Who cares if it is technically illegal to shoot a pheasant with a semi or not, a gun is a gun. It's down to the user to provide safety, a semi with the slide closed on a sideways cartridge (or anything else, as long as it acts as a slide stop/breech plug) is just as safe as a broken O/U or SxS.

It's just gun snobbery IMO and I think you should use what you want, as long as you act in a safe manner. :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that on our beaters shoot about half the guns are semi's. And this is a big shoot , not some little affair. The paying guns that shoot tend to use O/U and SxS, but out of tradition not stipulation.

Edited by whippet.22

i think you will find its the law it is illegal to shoot game with a gun with more than 2 cartrages this however does not apply to ducks

duck,s may not be but what about rabbit,s classed as ground game. you telling me i carnt shoot rabbits too?

it is legal to shot pheasants with a 3 shot auto , next time at a gunsmiths full of people ask the same question :*)

oh and by the way i do own a game licence :lol:

yes, but most traditions are kept in the upmost regards by.......the upper class....snobs..toff's, call them what you will.

semi auto's are just not the done thing on driven days. however many years ago neither was the o/u. things do change, it just takes time to change them.

rabbits are game, however to my knoledge are the only sort with no closed season which can be shot on sundays and without a game lisence. or is it hares as well?

hi guys this seems to have caused bit of a stir...all guns in photos were empty they are emptied at end of each drive it was a informal day and couple of the lads had guests. as i was.the guys using autos where only using allowed two shells in there guns. all guns are carried broking when not in use ..emptied to cross gates fences.. .autos checked as empty by another gun.most of lads where using autos as they had just returned from scotland ..been wildfowling.I was just glad of invitefinal tally 14 brace .3 red legs 4 rabbits ..beats omnibus of eastenders. :lol: :o

There are quite a few triple barreled shotguns about,and it IS legal,though frowned upon in "polite shoots" to use a semi as it is hard to see if it is empty unless there is a cartridge in the breech sideways.

It is thought to be unsporting to use a gun that is capable of firing 3 shots.

duck,s may not be but what about rabbit,s classed as ground game. you telling me i carnt shoot rabbits too?

rabbits are classed as ground game this was introdused by the uppermarket because you can not be arrested for poaching vermin so when the old boys went longdoging and walked of the farmers land he would be done for poaching which you can only poach game not vermin so yes it is vermin and reconised by the permission you have but if u cought me with a rabbit in my hand from your field i could say its vermin in law you cannot be prosicuted for cathing vermin very old law but there u go ow and glad to hear you got a game licence cos are shoot had a vist last year and a few guns had to leave to go to the post office lucky it came before the shooting started

Bit of a mine field this eh? I'm particularly interested as I'm looking to trade my current O/U for a 3-shot semi-auto and a 20g O/U for me/the boy. I want the semi for pigeon and also duck/wildfowl (if I ever get the chance of it). I don't think my O/U is that well suited to pigeon really.

I believe autos are OK at the vast majority of sporting clay shoots (seen them many many times), but rule is to only load 2 shells and show an orange safety tag between stands. I'd have thought the same is true at pheasant shoots, although they would be frowned upon at all but the most informal shoots, only 2 shells loaded or not. Luckily they're the only one's I can afford to do! But I admit that I'd feel a bit of a "'Del Boy" if I turned up with one, even at an "informal" driven day.

This is mainly why I want the 20g. So I can use it on the little shoots I do, and also still use it for clays if I want. It should be considerably lighter than my current 12g O/U which is a real pain to lug about on a driven day for hours on end.

One "Techie" point though... Non-FAC semi-auto's.... that means a magazine capacity of 2 surely? One up the spout, or chambered as they say in the rifle world, and then 2 in the tube, giving a fully loaded capacity of 3?

Bit of a mine field this eh? I'm particularly interested as I'm looking to trade my current O/U for a 3-shot semi-auto and a 20g O/U for me/the boy. I want the semi for pigeon and also duck/wildfowl (if I ever get the chance of it). I don't think my O/U is that well suited to pigeon really.

I believe autos are OK at the vast majority of sporting clay shoots (seen them many many times), but rule is to only load 2 shells and show an orange safety tag between stands. I'd have thought the same is true at pheasant shoots, although they would be frowned upon at all but the most informal shoots, only 2 shells loaded or not. Luckily they're the only one's I can afford to do! But I admit that I'd feel a bit of a "'Del Boy" if I turned up with one, even at an "informal" driven day.

This is mainly why I want the 20g. So I can use it on the little shoots I do, and also still use it for clays if I want. It should be considerably lighter than my current 12g O/U which is a real pain to lug about on a driven day for hours on end.

One "Techie" point though... Non-FAC semi-auto's.... that means a magazine capacity of 2 surely? One up the spout, or chambered as they say in the rifle world, and then 2 in the tube, giving a fully loaded capacity of 3?

Thats correct.

with semi autos the law states u can have a 2 + 1, 2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber ready to fire, there are various methods of saftey that some1 who shoots and semi auto will conform 2, im a keen wildfowler so thats why i invest in autos, yes i supose they are slightly unsporting in some respects but the majority of reasons for you not being able to shoot on a driven shoot is they r frowned upon, it was the same when o/u's were first used they were frowned upon, its down to tradition, ud never catch me in traditional gear, ill stick to my high definition timber hardwood camo, its not snobery its tradition, at alot of driven shoots the 'guns' dress as if they would of a hundred years ago, but sometimes you do feel if you are invited over to a driven shoot and you dress in wildfowling/stalking camo u do draw some rather snobish glances! id prefer a fat duck to a phesant any day haha

I was always lead to belive it was a safety thing with the autos on game days I would never take my auto on a game day and when I shot clays when iam not in the cage my gun is in the slip where as if I shoot my o/u at clays I just walk round with it open. thats just me

cheers

john