3inch steel magnum cartridges

TJ91

someone on here on a past post told me you couldnt get 50g 3's (steel) in a 3inch 12bore cartridge (i cant find the post!)

but i have a box of 10 blue cartridges that are 50g 3's and steel...or so the box tells me!

I remember these being in my dads shooting cuboard in the garage at our last house about 3/4 years ago, so i dont know when or where they were bought (he gave them to me when he packed in shooting) !!

on the top of the box it says-

50g shot size 3 3inch 12gauge

on the bottom of the box it says MAGNUM STEEL LOAD 76MM - for use in guns proofed for steel etc...

on the box there is a picture of a pintail (i think) and a pheasant, and i am sure that they are called MAMMOTH LOAD

(i think that the mammoth load cartridges on sale now are 3inch, 36gram 3's!?)

I am confused and unsure whether to use them on geese...can anyone tell me whether they are steel or not!

i can get a picture of the box and what it says if need be!

any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

TJ

Edited by TJ91

i will go grab some tungsten then and save them for the stubble decoying in scotland

Thanks

...but why do they write about magnum steel cartridges on the box if they are lead!?

Edited by TJ91

I should think the boxes were mislabled or the gun shop wants to pass their old stock on quickly. As far as I know the biggest steel load in a 3.5 inch steel shell you can buy are Remmington and Winchester 1 9\16ths OZ which is 45.5 gr. For 3 inch shells 36 gram is the usual max load.

Some home loaders might have something a little bigger , but you are going to need a very strong gun to handle 50 gr of steel.

if you want big loads, tungsten is where its at.

Yes i know and that is what i usually use or bismuth

just trying to find out why this box says its steel if it isnt steel!!

bearing in mind these were bought before the lead shot ban...why would they state that they are steel on the box!?

Edited by TJ91

but i have a box of 10 blue cartridges that are 50g 3's and steel...or so the box tells me!

I am confused and unsure whether to use them on geese...can anyone tell me whether they are steel or not!

any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

TJ

3's no matter how many are not for Geese in a steel load they just dont have the stopping power, BB should be the smalest pellet size in steel for Geese. others may beg to differ and I have just deleted what I think about that :lol:

3's no matter how many are not for Geese in a steel load they just dont have the stopping power, BB should be the smalest pellet size in steel for Geese. others may beg to differ and I have just deleted what I think about that :lol:

ok- your opinion but today i arent going into that..

does anyone else know anything about these cartridges??

Edited by TJ91

Does anyone know if the cartridge i am describing is steel or lead?... i am guessing lead...

if so does anyone know why the manufacturer has wrote 'MAGNUM STEEL LOAD' on the box!??

this is the question i am wanting an answer for please

You'll have to have a look anyway. I don't think "so & so on P.W. told me they were steel so I thought they'd be o.k. your Honour" would be a very good defence!! :lol:

so we should cut open a cartridge from each box we buy that says it is bismuth, steel, tungsten etc and check that it actually is what it says! :lol:

they say they are magnum STEEL carts but going by other posts (many people that load there own agree it isnt possible to get 50g of no 3 steel shot in a 3inch cart) i am guessing they arent, so why does it say they are on the box!?

just wondering if anybody else has or has had and used these cartridges? :lol:

maybe i should see if they are lead and then throw a complaint over to gamebore and see what happens...?

what would you do if you bought some kelloggs cornflakes and opened the box to find weetabix?? :lol:

they say they are magnum STEEL carts but going by other posts (many people that load there own agree it isnt possible to get 50g of no 3 steel shot in a 3inch cart) i am guessing they arent, so why does it say they are on the box!?

just wondering if anybody else has or has had and used these cartridges? :good:

maybe i should see if they are lead and then throw a complaint over to gamebore and see what happens...?

what would you do if you bought some kelloggs cornflakes and opened the box to find weetabix?? :hmm:

I wouldn't try shooting geese with them.

The easiest way to find out if they are steel is hold a magnet to the case. ALL non toxic shot should have the type of shot on the case, all the ones I have, have got steel or hevi shot etc on the case.

There isn't enought space physically in a case to get 50grams of steel in a 3" case along with a wad and powder.

so we should cut open a cartridge from each box we buy that says it is bismuth, steel, tungsten etc and check that it actually is what it says! :good:

TJ if they were bought a while ago before the lead ban was in place and anybody considered using steel shot, it could be as simple as a marketing slogan. 3" magnum 'steel' load

The OP was rather vague and did not mention Gamebore or any other manufacturer, only pictures on the box and blurb from the bottom. As you didn't buy the cartridges yourself, I take it you do not know the circumstances they were purchased under (mislabeled etc), perhaps you should ask your Dad if he could shed more light on them.

A couple of suggestions have been made as to how you can tell what's in them both destructive & non destructive and you obviously have doubts yourself. And yes, if I opened corn flakes and found weetabix I would be in touch with Kellogs to find out the score! :oops:

You as the user have to be satisfied what you are putting through your gun and if that means using the contact details printed on the box to verify what you've got, go for it.... :hmm:

Rich

i have a box of 10 blue cartridges that are 50g 3's and steel...or so the box tells me!

on the bottom of the box it says MAGNUM STEEL LOAD 76MM - for use in guns proofed for steel etc...

:hmm:

Stick a picture up so we can see what you're talking about. :good: