frozen birds

darren m

how long can whole game birds be kept frozen for , i,ve still got half a frezzer full of pheasant :good:

wondering if i could make a pie or are they past it.

shot and frozen on same day end of last season :good:

They'll be fine.

My girlfriend's mum keeps beef and venison for 2+ years in the freezer. It still tastes as if it was bought fresh from the supermarket.

...Obviously check the meat when it's defrosted, for anything and also smell it. It might have had a problem before it was frozen.

Edited by Billy.

• 3 weeks later...

why feeze whole birds?:good:?

if its a time constraint and cant deal with em within afew days of shooting or cant get to a game dealer .....dont shoot em simple!

to be honest i would imagine it would far easier dealing with dressing / gutting pheasant same day or few days of being shot ...than it would dealing with defrosted bird..... that could make yer stomach turn .

there are couple o vids on youtube on how to "rip" a pheasant in bout a minute flat!!! if like me you cant be bothered plucking them.

you end up with th breaststill on the bone (crown) like a heart shape that you can rap in bacon and roast or take fillets off and use like chicken fillets........i also keep the legs which only take another couple o minutes once birds "ripped" and then use, freeze them in bags ,4 legs to a bag and you can use them for soup.

still utilising most o the bird but without all the plucking and time......downside is gotta watch when cooking coz you loose the skin and with most game coz its so lean n healthy can dry out

sauer

Edited by Sauer

• 2 weeks later...

The current guidelines for meats in the freezer are about 34 days IIRC if self frozen.

Years ago I remember on the freezer lids it told you how long you should store them for but apparently there are new guidelines. I got this info from 3 different butchers not just the one :yes:

If you have access to Liquid nitrogen (flash freeze) then you are looking at about 12 month I beleive.

I still store my meats WAY longer than the 34 days but after this apparently the taste and texture suffer?:lol:??

LG

you can keep meat in the freezer for over three years and it will still be edible(unless it has the guts in)

yes us butchers tell customers that a month to three months but the only thing that sufferes after 3 months is the nutritional content.... a good guide is if its grey or green then chuck it.

also all the talk about how bacteria can still grow i a freezer is totaly irrelavant, as long as the meat is cooked to an internal temp of 83c the bacteria is destroyed

Edited by nathanhutchison

• 4 weeks later...

To crown pigeons, just twist off the wings, tear/pull back breast feathers and skin, and stick your thumb under the breat bone and pull it off.

I did 54 pigeon in 1 hour 20 minutes last night. From feather to cleaned crown.

To back up what you're saying, with practice, 20 seconds a bird is not too hard to achieve.

Our local game dealers will buy any birds frozen in feather and gut still in. Pigeons ducks pheasant woodcock etc. He tells you to freeze pigeons until the freezer is full to make the journey to his worthwhile. Sometimes it takes me 2 months to fill the freezer. These must be ok to eat as he then thaws,plucks,draws and packages them for sale.

Our local game dealers will buy any birds frozen in feather and gut still in. Pigeons ducks pheasant woodcock etc. He tells you to freeze pigeons until the freezer is full to make the journey to his worthwhile. Sometimes it takes me 2 months to fill the freezer. These must be ok to eat as he then thaws,plucks,draws and packages them for sale.

...And I will take down the name of your game dealer and avoid them like the before I get the plague.