Another one for the plumbers

Mungler

Okay, so tried to adjust the temperature on the thermostat this morning (yeah, a cold start today) and suddenly the thing "springs out" and I have 100% straight from the boiler hot water (ouch).

So, this is what it looks like.

shower.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

I seem to be able to get it back on (it screws up and on counter clockwise) but to get it on and a flush fit requires a few turns past the 38 degree "click" point. Anyways, I must be doing something wrong because all I can get is 100% boiling hot water.

It does work if I "push" it on rather than screw it on - I then get the right temperature water. The problem is that it doesn't hold (it appears to be sprung) and it then wants to pop off and out, and we are back to boiling hot water.

I reckon the upshot is that the thermostat's gone, but before I opened my wallet I hoped the kindly plumbers on here could clue me up. Indeed, how does it work?

Cheers all.

EDIT:

School boy error with the reflective surfaces. I wouldn't want to put anyone off their corn flakes now :good:

Edited by Mungler

Mungler

There is a little cap on the end remove that then the screw, once the screw is removed the **** will separate in two bits if you pull them apart you will see how the red clip gets aligned. Give me a min then ill take some pics and upload them.

I cant believe the swear detector censored out k n o b when I am talking about plumbing related stuff.

Ill give it something to do then **** ******* ***** ***** ******** ******* have it!

Alright, that didn't go well.

It turns out that:

1. I ain't no ******* plumber

2. there were "bits" of broken off plastic in the housing - not a good sign of all being well and working

3. what looked like a washer type assembly had perished

4. the red button bit is sprung loaded. Well it was until about 5 mins ago

So, could the resident plumbers direct me to the source of a replacement "unit" i.e. a new nobby thermostat bit that would go on the right end.

Also, is there a procedure for "lining stuff up" such that if you put the replacement on, do you have to align anything inside it, the washer, the shroud or the housing. This may go to the functionality of a thermostat, but how does it know when it's 38 degrees - I assume there's a bio-metalic strip in there somewhere - but that must have a set point.

In fairness, the fist of respect to plumbers - an absolute black art. It's all witch craft I tell you.

I like the way they do the sucking in of breath and shaking their heads when talking money :good: As they do it, their eyes roll like a fruit machine and pound signs appear. "CHING-CHING!" :lol:

I can do enough to get me by, but when it comes to boilers/gas/electric bits, thats when it pays to get someone in. Have a look at the British Gas homecare plan, well worth the money. (even you could afford it :lol: )

Now you see why we earn so much,if i were you i would call the makers (name on valve),ask to be put through to servive dept,then ask for new bits to be sent,wont cost a lot and you will just be able to screw it on once you turn it clockwise to start of dial and line up new one the same as old one,job done :good: ,£75 call out/cup of tea/+ parts and no guarantee :lol:

Only just saw this one on Mungler's predicament ........

What was that about the man who represents himself in court having a fool for a client?

or is this a bit of

Hilaire Belloc's "Lord Finchley"

Lord Finchley tried to mend the electric light

Himself. It struck him dead, and serve him right!

It is the business of the wealthy man

to give employment to the artisan

Try this Mung as you couldn't be ***** to answer my questions :oops:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55206/Bathro...er-Shower-Valve

Magman,

Apologies, I didn't properly read your post and by the time I did I had already broken it and texted the plumber!

I think it's the same shower as the one shown by Guinea Fowl.

Problem round here is that I might struggle to get a plumber out to do just that one job.

Andy, dont throw any more money at it mate, buy a decent one, that one in the screwfix catalogue is cheap and nasty,will get you out of a fix but thats it.

Costco are doing a huge chrome rain shower with the thermastat attchment etc for £279, will transform your shower and last!!! :oops:

Edited by Evil Elvis

Magman,

Apologies, I didn't properly read your post and by the time I did I had already broken it and texted the plumber!

Problem round here is that I might struggle to get a plumber out to do just that one job.

mung screwfix sell that exact shower @ £100 just buy a new one so you have all the washers etc and its 3 nuts you need to undo to remove the valve and then replace. 15 minute job

Mungler,

I'm glad to discover that i'm a manager in the black arts industry :oops: .

My advice with thermostatic shower valves is once they start going wrong replace them rather than F&&& around with it. the shower valves themselves are not that expensive - circa £50 to £150. Go to a plumbcentre rather than a DIY store, ideally taking the old one with you . the information regarding the "black art" of fixing it will all be contained in the installation instructions that will be supplied with the shower valve .

good luck

Magman,

No problem Mung i was only trying to help :hmm:

Funny thing is all i do is fit the things everyday , yet nurses and so on no better so i will keep me gob shut from now on :lol:

Just so you all no most bar mixer's be it Triton, Plumb center, City plumbing brand are all made by Bristan , just the price that's different :good:

But hey what do i no carry on :good:

EDIT:

School boy error with the reflective surfaces. I wouldn't want to put anyone off their corn flakes now :good:

So for 9 minutes of today you posted up photos on the internet in which you were naked in the reflection of a shower mixer ? :good:

Those Suffolk boys will have caught that for sure and you will be the object of their mucky activities tonight...