Recommendations .22LR and semi-auto shotgun

rtaylor

Hi

Hopefully I will soon be in the market for a .22LR bolt action and a semi-auto, shotgun, with the intention of it being a multi-shot F.A.C.

Could anyone recommend me any decent models. I don't want to pay a huge amount (second hand prices) as they will be work guns.

Also am I right in thinking I will want to get the .22's barrel cut down to about 14 inches?

Cheers

Hi

Hopefully I will soon be in the market for a .22LR bolt action and a semi-auto, shotgun, with the intention of it being a multi-shot F.A.C.

Could anyone recommend me any decent models. I don't want to pay a huge amount (second hand prices) as they will be work guns.

Also am I right in thinking I will want to get the .22's barrel cut down to about 14 inches?

Cheers

What makes you say that?

That's the optimum length for a 22lr barrel (apparently) all the powder's burnt by the time the bullet has passed 14" down the barrel.

Yes but a length of barrel is designed to have so many twists of rifleing, start cutting down the barrel and you'll lose acuracy surely

Yes but a length of barrel is designed to have so many twists of rifleing, start cutting down the barrel and you'll lose acuracy surely

I was told the bullet has reached its optimum power/accuracy and therefore anymore barrel would just be adding friction i.e. slowing it down.

Is the Beretta 3" or 2 3/4" chamber, I wouldn't mind having 3" capabilities for the occasional geese.

Does anyone have any opinions of Fabarms and Franchi semi-autos? I was looking at a few on guntrader and they seem pretty smart from the outside.

Cheers

That's the optimum length for a 22lr barrel (apparently) all the powder's burnt by the time the bullet has passed 14" down the barrel.

That's what length mine is and I use it in L.S.R comps with good results:-

DSC00275-1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Can't moan at the results :good:

ATVB

sg1

I was told the bullet has reached its optimum power/accuracy and therefore anymore barrel would just be adding friction i.e. slowing it down.

Is the Beretta 3" or 2 3/4" chamber, I wouldn't mind having 3" capabilities for the occasional geese.

Does anyone have any opinions of Fabarms and Franchi semi-autos? I was looking at a few on guntrader and they seem pretty smart from the outside.

Cheers

I've had a Franchi. Many of them use the Benelli mechanism and its always been my opinion that they are the most reliable auto. Beretta are also good but in my opinion not as good! Never knowne them to be ammo fussy to be honest!

Its like anything, you will get good and bad but as long as you avoid Hatsan you should be fine. Worth considering a pump though. If you can get on with remembering to rack it between shots you can get a lot of gun for a very low price! I mean its £500 brand new for a lot of top range names!

The rifling is measured in number of inches for 1 full rotation ie 1in10 (the bullet will complete 1 revolution in 10") What matters is the correct twist rate to stabilise the bullet.

For hunting puproses, the optimum length of the barrel is that in which it takes for all the powder in the cartridge to be burnt.

When using subs thats around 12-14". After this the bullet is starting to slow down due to the drag in the barrel. 14" is a stadard .22LR factory carbine length.

Some shooters in the US report better results with 12".

http://www.kifaruforums.net/archive/index.php/t-6867.html

I've got a Franchi Fast. I thinks it's a great gun, especially for the money. GMK are the importers give them a ring to see if it's available inFAC spec if you're interested.

Edited by pigglet

Cheers for you're responses. I think a CZ is the way to go and that was probably going to be the choice anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Still not sure on the semi-auto but the right gun will come up. I have a pump at the moment, but its a seriously rough gun! I can't really be bothered with another one.

Cheers

Cheers for you're responses. I think a CZ is the way to go and that was probably going to be the choice anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Still not sure on the semi-auto but the right gun will come up. I have a pump at the moment, but its a seriously rough gun! I can't really be bothered with another one.

Cheers

If you already have a pump and shoot well with it why not upgrade to a better one rather than go with a semi as there are plenty of good ones out there, just my opinion though.

Also have you considered anchutz for the 22lr as they do some good bolt actions as-well as semi's.