Gun Cabinet alarm required or not?

sg1

My RFD has informed me that if I have 10 guns then I need an alarm fitted-Fair enough but.......

I currently have 5 (3 shotties and 2 Rimmys) and the missus has 2 rimmys making 7 in our property , I also have 2 slots available on my FAC to fill but if I go out and buy another shottie on my SGC, will this in theory make my total 10 (with the 2 FAC slots) which will mean alarm needed before acquiring said shottie?

Or will it only come into force when we 'actually' possess 10 guns in the property? ;)

I suppose it would be easier to just get alarm fitted but what are we talking here- a £300.00 auto dialer system or a B&Q shed alarm single room jobbie?

If your going to get an alarm get a decent one properly fitted, I would contact FEO you may find that if you have 10 and no more and the rest of the security is top notch you will be fine. Some area's its 6 others dont seem to bother and of course having an alarm and using an alarm religiously are different things altogether.

YOu could consider CCTV rather than an alarm, no one bothers about alarms going off where i live

My RFD has informed me that if I have 10 guns then I need an alarm fitted-Fair enough but.......

I would suggest you ask your FEO- but it seems to me he has already indicated the need for an alarm if you own 10 guns/ rifles :good:

be worth a call to your Firearns Dept, to see just whats expected

Les :yahoo:

Edited by Lez325

I don't think that it's 'law' that you have to have a house alarm if you have an amount of firearms. It's just a condition that your local police force impose. Check with BASC etc to make sure.

My FEO is quite happy with my set up. 14 firearms which are in three cabinets, plus a slot for another one.

Our county now have a 6 gun alarm requirement.

I have always had fantastic service from our licensing manager and his team, helpful is an understatement.

Last renewal I was told I needed an alarm prior to issue of my renewed licenses. Was I going to throw a tantrum and get BASC on the case and spoil my relationship with my firearms team for the sake of a £10 B&Q alarm...............no way.

If your county has such a policy they will soon let you know when you go over the limit.

My advice would be to just carry on as you are and if and when your licensing department tell you to fit one just fit the ruddy thing...................it's no big deal.

Last renewal I was told I needed an alarm prior to issue of my renewed licenses. Was I going to throw a tantrum and get BASC on the case and spoil my relationship with my firearms team for the sake of a £10 B&Q alarm...............no way.

Is that all was needed minimum- a £10.00 shed alarm?? If so then I'll get one fitted today :yahoo:

PS: I also have quite a good relationship with my FEO as we go clay bustin together every other month( he's a very busy guy) I should just wait till I see him next I suppose but it will be two weeks yet at least!!

Edited by sg1

I also have a very good relationship with my licensing dept',but that's no reason why a Chief Officer should dictate his own interpretation of HO guidance.The Police are as bound by legislation as we are,but they often have their own agendas and bias'.

It's entirely up to you of course,and if an alarm can cost as little as £10 then fair enough,but like I've said,it's not law as far as I know.I would certainly ask my shooting Org' before I asked my licensing dept'. :yahoo:

Is that all was needed minimum- a £10.00 shed alarm?? If so then I'll get one fitted today :good:

PS: I also have quite a good relationship with my FEO as we go clay bustin together every other month( he's a very busy guy) I should just wait till I see him next I suppose but it will be two weeks yet at least!!

That is all I was required to fit.

However I would wait until your licensing department request you fit one rather then taking notice of your local gun shop. You never know - they may never ask.

I don't think that it's 'law' that you have to have a house alarm if you have an amount of firearms. It's just a condition that your local police force impose. Check with BASC etc to make sure.

My FEO is quite happy with my set up. 14 firearms which are in three cabinets, plus a slot for another one.

My FEO asked where my house alarm was.

I pointed at the dog.

He asked why I didn't also have an alarm

I said the dog would set it off.

FEO blushed and should have facepalmed

Ive been there and heard this scenario before.

On my shotgun cert renewal the issuing force said i had to have an alarm fitted.I went to BASC who told me to tell the police to refuse my certificate and they would take them to court.

It is a police actioning body ACPO who says in the guidelines an alarm is reccomended but it is NOT a law just a reccomendation-needless to say i got issued my certificate and it was on the doorstep within 2 days after BASC had spoken to my shotgun licensing dept.