Child benefit whos affected

Cookiemonsterandmerlin.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think saying £80 a month is a "trust fund" is laughable personally. I earn good money, so therefore I pay a small fortune in tax every month. I work shifts, work long unsociable hours (I seem to be at work all the bl**dy time!) I dont see why my son should not get the £80 a month that Joe scrotes son gets when his father sits on his ***** all day every day contributing frig all to society and paying knack all in taxes? That is my point. Yes I do believe that there are some genuine people who depend on benefits to live but from what I see every day at work they are in the minority.

.....totally agree gloker and i also came from a council estate and feel i am doing my bit, as said the £80 isn't a plus, it's just a reduction in the minus...

Edited by gixer1

Only one opinion and not necessarily the right one.

What happens if you spend so much on credit that any benefit you gain is eaten up in increased interest repayments?

What happens when we borrow so much that our credit rating is downgraded so credit becomes more expensive?

Not sure the current situation can necessarily be compared to previous examples. Also while the people running the country might not be the most experienced they're using teams of experts to make decisions just as every other government has done.

christ I didn't know there were still deluded labour voters who had been listening to Gordon Brown still about. Spending our way out of this has been tried funnily enough by the last government and has it worked? has it hell and actually our leader saying its like credit card debt is actually strangely true. We're sitting here with a shed load of debt that we are being crucified with interest payments on and we're looking at stopping adding to that pile which at the moment is resulting in cuts which will eventually help but we're still not talking about paying down the rather large capital amount underneath. The government has been careful not to add to the costs of private business employing people and are trying to reduce small business costs which hopefully will result in fewer going bust and keeping people employed. What doesn't work is if most people are employed by the government. As Drw says if we get our credit rating downgraded the amount we pay on borrowing goes up and we potentially end up like Greece etc Its a scary prospect but one things for sure hoping to spend more isn't an option to get ourselves out of it.

you cannot "Cut" your way out of recession, you have to invest and readjust the balance of payments defecit with the profits from investment levied on some of the major conglomerates that have a monopoly, like the Energy companies and Tescos .

Errr, the energy companies and Tescos are limited companies, their profit goes to their shareholders not to the government.

And what is Tescos monopoly in?

Anyone who knows anything about economics theorum knows that you have "spend" your way out of recession.

Oh yes, that old "If you're broke keep spending" theory.

:yes:

Nial.

Sadly the Country is being run by three very inexperienced schoolboys who just have not got a clue... Quote our PM "its like the interest on a credit card " what a patronising little **** he is.!

fortunately the three schoolboys are trying to pay the card off rather than continue on a spending spree like the "experienced" tossers did!

perhaps if you were not so deluded you would have realised that had we been in the euro and had not had the ability to let the pound fall again and again, plus sell all our gold at bargain prices we would have been in a worse state than Greece.

KW

Yawn Yawn yawn thats all very well but can someone tell me how all these cuts are going to generate any income to actually reduce the defecit.?

Answer They are not !......We still need need massive investment in Public services, in Schools, Hospitals, Local Government, the road rail and public utility infrastucture and in Housing.

The fact of the matter is we are so densely populated to need continual investment just to tread water. I actually voted Conservative but will never agree with such stringent cuts in Public Expenditure which by its very nature is absolute folly.

Many people dont seem to realise that the Private sector actually depends very heavily on the public sector and will not be able to bale us out. Im afraid that a massive double dip is on the horizon which will be fuelled by this current fiscal policy. Unemployment will reach record levels crime will soar and it will start seriousy affecting all of us not just those lucky enough to have young children or who have their benefits provided by Government..for christs sake even tax exile Nigel Mansell has resorted to making advertisments to suppliment his income.!

Could my fellow conservative voters also confirm who got us into this mess as Im a little confused. Those in the Private sector seem to blame the banks and those in the public sector the previous government......I know we are all fickle but which one is it.?

Back to the topic in question....conversely then... does anyone think its right that someone who earns more than 44k a year has to pay tax to support the Child benefit of someone who earns less than this. Is this fair and Equitable ?

I would reccommend anyone who wants to make a rock solid investment with a guaranteed return above the current bank base rate stick £50 with Joe Ladbroke that we have a new government before the end of 2012. This would be a sound investment in the private sector.

Fisherman Mike where would you get the money for the investment you think we need?

bear in mind at the moment we owe £15,223 for every man woman and child in the country, made worse by the fact its £32,960 for everyone in employment in the country and at the moment the interest costs every household £1,889 per year. Based on that you still reckon we should keep on borrowing?

Many people dont seem to realise that the Private sector actually depends very heavily on the public sector

You've got it completely a4se about t1t.

Governments don't generate wealth, all they do is suck money out of the economy and spend it

less efficiently that it would have been privately.

Nial.

I take it your not an Alex Salmond devotee then Nial :yes:

Well guessed :blush:

I'm not really a fan of any of them.

I do agree with James Dallingpole in the Telegraph...

"Why the Child Benefit cuts have made me despise Cameron's 'Conservatives' even more than I did already"

"Not because it’s going to leave my family nearly two grand a year out of pocket. But because of the way the Conservatives

have made such heavy weather of it.

Really, the case for cutting child benefit for the (relatively) affluent middle classes ought to be a no-brainer."

Nial.

My lads are grown but when we have just promised 500 mil to Africa and taken it from our tax payers with kids it would make me fairly mad

Aye........ Africa, Pakistan, India, China, Turkey, et al, et al ...wherever in the world there is a natural disaster we are invariably the first country to step into the breech with offers of financial aid....

Strange how we manage to find the capitol to finance these programmes.... and yet can ill afford to properly equip our own Army in Afghanistan !

That's got to be a joke hasn't it??? Surely she can't be on the equivalent wage they said? Makes you wonder why we have all worked our bums off for years, I have never been out of work for more than a month and am proud to say I have never claimed dole either, then you get this excuse of a woman gloating the fact with the 5 chav kids in the pic! Amazing!

I left school at 15 and retired at 55 - 40 yrs of graft for far less then that fat *****d A******l of a *****h get's in social-If I had my way all unmarried mothers would be the property of the tax payer to do what they wanted with them.

dave

im only a simple country lad, but if they tripled the amount of money in circulation, and payed us all triple, and everything we buy tripled we would be no worse off.

But only sitting on a quarter of the debt.

I am only being light-hearted ofcourse.

Whats the pros and cons of inflation, the hidden ones i mean.

Edited by manxman2

whether the money comes from benefit or not, I will still save it for my son, my point is - all this £80 a month does is reduce the money I pay into the system, it's not a plus to me, it just reduces the minus the goverment already take from me!!!

what i do with the money does not matter as if i put it in the bank, i use my earned £80 for the nappies etc, if i don't the benefit gets used for the nappies etc....

as i have already said if they want to do it on a percentage in/percentage out then it's fine by me! and also if you haven't bothered to get your **** to an interview in the last 6 month and you do not have an illness then why should you get any benefits at all? you should rot in my book....

Regards

Gixer

George Osbourne has never claimed it because he doesn't need the money, thought that was interesting.

The reason that the new policy is not 100% equal to all is because to do so would mean a large percentage of the saved money would be spend in administrating the system.

Dan

The gov't will try to inflate away a proportion of the debt - it's an easy way to lose a chunk of it. Go too far with the inflation and it's major grief.

The broad brush of picking a number, say £250k and then looking back to what that could get you just 10 years ago - round our way a £250k house 10 years ago could be worth knocking on £900k now in the right road and that's over a relatively low inflatory period.

The big problem is that all the perceived individual wealth of this country is tied to the housing stock - property has always gone up in value and when the stock market got stale and interest rates were low everyone dived in and bought second properties on credit.

Whilst the states is not a direct comparible (because it has more land and space) it's easy to see what happens when it goes wrong - their property market is totally in the toilet.

In the UK it's a massive juggle between employment, interest rates and inflation.

With cuts employment goes up and so does the drain on the welfare state, add in some quantative easing i.e. print more money and you get inflation. To control inflation you need to be able to move interest rates. You move interest rates up just 2% and the housing market will collapse and you will **** anyone who has bought a house in the last 10 years either as a first or second home.

Ask anyone under the age of 40 years of age if they could pay their mortgage if the interest rates went up say 5% or 10% and watch them turn white. It wasn't that long ago interest rates touched 15%.....

Interesting times.....

EDIT:

As for child benefit - they won't get round to slashing it in the terms they have laid out. They are about to **** the middle class and that's not a vote winner; especially so when there are rather more obvious "low hanging fruit" on the tree that needs pruning and is called the welfare state.

Why start by taking a pop at anyone in work and paying tax? Surely start on those not in work - that's not a politically or class motivated proposition, it's just better economics, especially when the entire UK income tax take does not meet the annual cost of the welfare state, and that excludes the NHS.

Edited by Mungler

im only a simple country lad, but if they tripled the amount of money in circulation, and payed us all triple, and everything we buy tripled we would be no worse off.

But only sitting on a quarter of the debt.

I am only being light-hearted ofcourse.

Whats the pros and cons of inflation, the hidden ones i mean.

Pros: monetising the debt, a preferred approach of South American countries in the 70s. Problem is lenders cotton onto this quickly and refuse to lend.

Cons: inefficiences from menu costs, costs of renegotiating wage contracts more frequently, uncertainty of trade, self perpetution, wage demands driving up prices which then drive up wage demands further, currency replacement costs and many more i can't remember.

THANKS QUEST.

What would happen if the bank of england just created the money for the government to pay off interest on its debt mountain, does it just weaken the pound against other currencies, aswell as cause inflation..

Edited by manxman2