how long before your shoulder gets used to the abuse?

tony-devon

LOL just thought I would ask how long it is normally before your shoulder stops shouting OUCH and going funny colours LOL

failing that, for just shooting clays, whats the best semi auto, ie with virtually no recoil ;)

off out in a bit for a go at clay shooting, my 3rd "attempt" only 50 this time so a bit easier, but really want to shoot the o/u instead of the semi,

however the o/u seems to kick like a mule?

LOL just thought I would ask how long it is normally before your shoulder stops shouting OUCH and going funny colours LOL

failing that, for just shooting clays, whats the best semi auto, ie with virtually no recoil ;)

off out in a bit for a go at clay shooting, my 3rd "attempt" only 50 this time so a bit easier, but really want to shoot the o/u instead of the semi,

however the o/u seems to kick like a mule?

It shouldn't do that, it suggests that either the gun doesn't fit you or your mount is poor. Get a lesson, a good coach will sort you out either way. It doesn't have to be a sport for masochists only!

It could also be to do with the cartridges you are using. Even ones that look to be the same spec e.g. 28g 7.5s may have different burn characteristics and therefore different recoils. I used a load of Hull carts that were quick, but had half the recoil of a slower cart with a different burn rate but the same spec on the box. Try a few different ones and see which kicks least.

Edited by Tank

Also - what cartridge load are you practising with? Certainly when you start out 21grm carts are the way to go - Eley Firsts would be ideal - the lighter load has significantly less recoil that say a 28 and most 24s.

As has been posted already carts vary considerably in felt recoil - 24Grm Lyvale Express HVs still bruise me after 30 shots and and yet I've shot 500+ 24Grm Eley Blues on an all day 1 to 1 lesson with Carl Bloxham with no bruise (just a light marking of my shoulder).

Could be lots of things, gun does not fit you, gun mount is bad, gun on arm not in shoulder pocket, head not on stock or head lifting on second shot, too heavy loads. Putting it right, try shooting gun up till you have more confidence, lighter loads, pull the gun right into your shoulder if the gun has nowhere to go it can't hurt you. My best advise though is to see a good coach, Carl Boxham, Brian Clegg, Steve Nutbeam. Most have websites and will visit you or you could travel to them, which ever it will be money well spent. from Auntie. ;)

Edited by 100milesaway

it also depends on your physical biuld, if you have broad shoulders it shouldnt be happening the butt should be in the shoulder easy enough, however if the top of your arm muscle is briused, its because thats where the gun is sitting, and it shouldnt be ofcourse, the reasons are given above by many posters.

if you have narrow shoulders and just connot get away from top muscle briuse then i would think you need a proper fitting, narrower stock maybe im not sure, as i never encountered the problem, but i watched othes who were to skinny persevere.

ps

theres also the clothing issue of under layers bunching and putting the stock on top of the arm muscle.

Edited by manxman2

this site is a font of knowledge and Im doing my best to try and absorb it :good:

the cartridges I am using are what were cheap at the shop :yes:

kent 28g 7.5 fibrewad high velocity, I think from memory, box was blue with compeition written on it, cartidges are a funky see through case.

I am not exactly the biggest person around and my shoulders could perhaps be described as a bit "boney" LOL

hopefully have sorted a proper clay vest, and if needed will invest on a gel pad thing that someone showed me yesterday at the ground

I have found a shooting school/ground, not too far from my work, so hoping that I can book a lesson or 2, £70 per hour GULP! and then aim to get out and do 100 sporting once a fortnight, when weather allows.

Hi, yes they arent far away, in fact the barrel guy is about a mile from me as I type this :good:

am going to have my barrels blacked by them, but was unaware that as a company they offered stock fit. coaching etc. waiting for a call from Dennis today in fact

my stock as adjustable cheekpiece, up down, left right etc, but I havent a clue where it needs to be, all I do know is that unlike my old laurona that I had 2 years ago, my face doesnt feel like its done 7 rounds with Tyson :yes:, so thats an improvement at least.

this site is a font of knowledge and Im doing my best to try and absorb it :P

the cartridges I am using are what were cheap at the shop :drinks:

kent 28g 7.5 fibrewad high velocity, I think from memory, box was blue with compeition written on it, cartidges are a funky see through case.

I am not exactly the biggest person around and my shoulders could perhaps be described as a bit "boney" LOL

hopefully have sorted a proper clay vest, and if needed will invest on a gel pad thing that someone showed me yesterday at the ground

I have found a shooting school/ground, not too far from my work, so hoping that I can book a lesson or 2, £70 per hour GULP! and then aim to get out and do 100 sporting once a fortnight, when weather allows.

Edited as it was meant to be a PM not a post. Doh!!! :good:

Err, you have a PM.

Don't worry, I'll get the hang of it eventually. :yes:

Edited by hillmouse