Ferretting taster days whats your thoughts

I to am new to the ferreting game and am yet to get out with and work my few small permissions, i did however post on here and ask if anyone would show me the ropes ( or nets as one funny guy suggested) i had about 4 or 5 pms all with offers to take me out free of charge, next weekend im going out with a guy in essex, im gunna take him a bottle of wine or something else to say thanks, I wouldnt pay 50 quid to catch a few rabbits im afraid. when i have learnt ill invite some people to my permission and teach them, its what keeps the sport going.

:yes:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are expensive and all i see on here lately are days for sale and im sick of it :lol:

Not a dig at you personally :yes:

Agreed magman. Be carefiul I got told off by the mods for knocking those using the site to sell shooting. If this keeps up it will only be a matter of time before somebody pimps their wife.

So my next question to all the knockers is how many have you offered either on here or other outlets to take newbies out for free.

Cheers OTH

Personal Message

maverick123

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Add to PM block list

Forward PM

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Re:no ropes only nets, Sep 21 2010, 06:30 PM

Hot Shot Pigeon Shooter

Group: Members

Member No.: 20603

You can come with us as we have a lot of ground in halsted and cogersall, and in 8ash green,

come and watch join in we long net mainley and a little purse net.

a lot to learn but i will explain what it what and then explain it again.

Been ferreting since i was 11 and know 49 we normaly get at least 20/30 in a sesson

up to you

Regards

Tim

hello tim,

i would love to tag along if thats ok, those locations are all about an hours drive so not to bad at all really! i work all week but can be about any weekend with a few days notice! ive never been ferreting before like i said but i am happy to get my hands dirty! if you can let me know some dates? my mobile is....................if i dont pick up just leave me a message

thanks again

Tom Monghan

What can i say!!

So my next question to all the knockers is how many have you offered either on here or other outlets to take newbies out for free.

Cheers OTH

Im taking a novice out this weekend (waiting for pm) from this site so he can gain some experience before he puts in for his FAC police have asked him for this and will then be sending in a letter with his application explaining this also for free. I am taking him on one of my permissions using my landrover my guns and ammunition plus tea or coffe all for the pricey sum of nothing. When I put in for my FAC I had to get someone to do this for me, and someone did take me out although it was on one of my permissions not his he didnt charge me a penny for his time or ammunition which I used alot of. So yes us knockers do take people out for free as people in the past have taken us out for free the least we can do is return the favour. As for giving people some of our permission not many would but that wasn't what I meant. What I meant was if someone has too much land to cover they could always recomend a friend to the farmer instead of taking it themselves, and yes I have also done this in the past never returned yet but Im sure one day it will.

OTH what expense would you incur taking somebody ferreting?

Dazza it would be a form of income not a jolly to top a income already I am a self employed and will have days spare during the winter and was going to supplement my income .

Its not about incuring cost but I cant take a hit 6 days a week taking others out for nowt without a income.

Cheers OTH

OTH what expense would you incur taking somebody ferreting?

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Do you ask the supermarkets how muw of your weekly food bill they incurred as an expense, likewise with the mechanic, the phone bill, internet bill, your sky tv package etc etc.

OTH if some people are prepared to pay £50 for a day ferting well good luck to you ( times are getting hard )

But i don't know if you get paid yourself in 1 way or another to control the rabbits ? Then its like alot of these pigeon guys, who get paid to control the pigeons then charge £100+ for people to come shoot. I think these guys take the P*** but thats my feeling

Its vermin we are talking about PESTS not Game or deer. i love ferting and around my area rabbits are thin on the ground and have been for the past 3-4 yrs . But i wouldn't pay to go .

All the best with it OTH hope it comes off for you>

Bry

Some of these replies are quite tame and very polite ,

try Huntinglife and ask the same question on charging someone £50, for taking someone out teaching them how to ferret

wrong market for you, try a posh magazine. peeps on here are ordinary working folk,

I hope you get the jist

Edited by jonevo

I give credit to Stealth Stalker for taking me out on two separate days of ferreting. I'd never been before and I had a great time.

I take loads of people lamping and in turn, I have been taken lamping for free. When someone shoots my .270, do I ask for a £1 coin, no.

Oh and I give credit to Catamong for taking me pigeon shooting once or twice and giving me a free lesson. Also Beardo took me out, before I forget. :yes:

£50 - for what? Ferret food?! I think you'll find that down the warrens.

Edited by Billy.

So my question to all the knockers would you share your perms and maybe even hand them over totally to a newbie :yes: .

Cheers OTH

hi oth if this is a buisness venture then obviously 50pound is to cheap unless you take at least 2 per day fuel/tax insurence

all add up but think you might struggle with just ferretting maybe a bit of rough shooting at the same time might make it sound

more worth the price tag but im sure when you start on the pigeon days you will have plenty of takers as not a lot on here are

as fortunate to have as much land as the rest of us even if there is not alot of pigeon on mine so i am willing to pay for it

but i will and always have taken new guns out even share some of my farms with the responsible ones all the best whatever

you decide

dolphin

OTH ,£50 for a days shooting or ferreting seem ok to me , I know of someone charging around the same maybe a bit more for shooting over ferrets and he is really busy ,so i say go for it . As for it being pricey not at all as you have costs of your own to cover so crack on i say and good luck to you :yes:

I'm reading this on a train headed home for a long weekend after a **** week working in London. I went for a few beers after work and spent more than 50 quid on a couple of rounds. Enjoyable enough but by tomorrow it'll be forgotten.

I'm sure the memories of a day trying out a new field sport would last a lot longer. How much would I pay for a days stalking, guided goose shooting or even guided pigeon shooting? That is a massive bargain and I can't believe the grief you're getting .

I know Nowt about ferreting and know no one who does it, but i'd love to try it. Id pay 50 quid without batting an eyelid for a days ferreting and think it incredibly good value.

OTH you're never going to get rich at those rates, buti don't be put off. Not everyone has an in to field sports, and that would be an attractive offer. Good luck :good:

Edited by Cranfield

you'll always have people knock you for asking for payment,but on the other hand you will always get takers.

£50 seems a little steep to me,but like i said before.people will be willing to pay if they have no permission.

good luck and all the best

russ

I'm reading this on a train headed home for a long weekend after a **** week working in London. I went for a few beers after work and spent more than 50 quid on a couple of rounds. Enjoyable enough but by tomorrow it'll be forgotten.

I'm sure the memories of a day trying out a new field sport would last a lot longer. How much would I pay for a days stalking, guided goose shooting or even guided pigeon shooting? That is a massive bargain and I can't believe the grief you're getting .

I know Nowt about ferreting and know no one who does it, but i'd love to try it. Id pay 50 quid without batting an eyelid for a days ferreting and think it incredibly good value.

OTH you're never going to get rich at those rates, buti don't be put off. Not everyone has an in to field sports, and that would be an attractive offer. Good luck :good:

Your more than welcome to join us for free we go most sundays just PM me .

All the best OTH

Your more than welcome to join us for free we go most sundays just PM me .

All the best OTH

What a true expense this ferreting must be. £50 to free... I don't get this :good:

I'd feel pretty mugged off if I'd just paid £50 and then saw you giving a day away for free

Edited by Billy.

What a true expense this ferreting must be. £50 to free... I don't get this :good:

I'd feel pretty mugged off if I'd just paid £50 and then saw you giving a day away for free

Its because we have had contact before and I was feeling out the reaction to offering this service.

Its called if you treat somebody right you may well end up with something in return .

Some of the replys on this forum and not just on this subject does not inspire you to share you shooting etc.

Kind regards OTH

Its because we have had contact before and I was feeling out the reaction to offering this service.

Its called if you treat somebody right you may well end up with something in return .

Some of the replys on this forum and not just on this subject does not inspire you to share you shooting etc.

Kind regards OTH

If I was selling shoot/ferreting days, I can assure you I'd not openly offer someone a free day. It's a great way to show how little you care about your paying customers.

I treat people right by sharing the experience of shooting, especially for newbies, for free. As was stated in the other thread, I'd not ask for a penny off someone, be it for diesel, 50 rimfire shots or several centrefire rounds. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, I'd be that embarrassed.

If I was selling shoot/ferreting days, I can assure you I'd not openly offer someone a free day. It's a great way to show how little you care about your paying customers

There are are a few other people on here who at various times, as their personal circumstances have changed, have either offered to take people out for free, or have had to cover their costs or even (god forbid) make a few quid. Good guys like ProTom and others. Do your comments apply to Tom and others, or just OTH?

Edited by Blunderbuss

There are are a few other people on here who at various times, as their personal circumstances have changed, have either offered to take people our for free, or have had to cover their costs or even (god forbid) make a few quid. Good guys like ProTom and others. Do your comments apply to Tom and others, or just OTH?

My comments apply to this thread as I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone offered a free day even though I knew they usually charged. The problem here is that a free day is being offered in the same thread which is asking for £50 for a days ferreting.

Whilst OTH is trying to defend his corner about charging £50 for newbie ferreting days, in the same thread he's offering a free day to someone (was it you?) who's never been. Would you not feel a bit upset if I was selling shotguns in a thread for £50 and you bought one, and then openly said I'd give one away for free to someone?

I just feel that doing something like that, in the same thread, is just like giving one almighty middle finger to those willing to fork out for the experience.