Cookiemonsterandmerlin.

Income bracket  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Income

• 11k to 21k
    • 21k to 31k
    • 31k plus
    • 11k and below

Ive had a look at the survey results and its quite interesting.

It looks nothing like the country demographic in terms of average earnings. Even though its very broad brush and not scientific it makes for interesting reading.

Based on figures supplied by the Office of National Statistics

Gross earnings of £31K approx or above would put you in the top 25% in the country

Gross earnings of £44,500 approx or above would put you in the top 10%

Gross earnings of £59k approx or above will put you in the top 5%

Looking at the poll, we seem to have an above average salary base as a collection of shooters. (In theory we would only have about 25% of the votes cast in the top bracket in the Poll)

Now, either shooting, and more specifically the members of PW, are well above average earners :rolleyes:

or

those who earn £20k and above are more forthcoming with the info, or conversly, those below £20k are reluctant to supply information regarding salary

or

there has been some creative accounting going on when registering your salary :hmm:

Maybe we should have a Poll to see if folk are more likley to give accurate info in a blind Poll, then using that info to ***** the accuracy of this Poll :hmm:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that £59k+ puts one in the top 5% :rolleyes:?

Something like 20% sounds more realistic.

Nige

Seems low doesnt it, those are the figures supplied by the ONS. Howver, we are dealing with statistics.

taken from ONS site..............

So does that mean that if you earn £45k that you are in the country's top 10% of earners? Sadly it's not as simple as that. The ASHE is a sample of 1% of people who pay tax via PAYE. It doesn't include the self-employed - businessmen, contractors etc - who make up the ranks of the really wealthy.

Seems low doesnt it, those are the figures supplied by the ONS. Howver, we are dealing with statistics.

taken from ONS site..............

So does that mean that if you earn £45k that you are in the country's top 10% of earners? Sadly it's not as simple as that. The ASHE is a sample of 1% of people who pay tax via PAYE. It doesn't include the self-employed - businessmen, contractors etc - who make up the ranks of the really wealthy.

Too true

As a salaried person on paper I rank in that 5% (without bonuses etc). But see a lot more of 'splashing the cash' than I could ever afford.

Before anyone gets on my back I do appreciate where I have got to and what i have. When I first joined up I was on £24.60 a week.

Nige

If I could get my wife back to work full time together we would earn over £80,000 before deductions. Sadly with the kids that won't be for a while but she does earn a good wage for a part time worker. I get hammered for deductions mind and we don't really have that much left over at the end of the month.

Having said that as long as we can live to a good standard and provide for the children then i am happy.

I earn what would be considered a decent wage but as has been mentioned by many in different ways, its whats left after all the bills that count.

I am a bit of a rarity in that as a bloke, I am a single parent with 2 daughters so have to juggle my life around quite a bit to manage.

They are teeneaged now which isnt too bad for the babysitter side of things but as for expense....OUCH.

The amount of debt I was left with when her indoors ventured outdoors for good also takes a toll.

Its disposable income that counts so in that regard I am not well off at all.

I think there is reverse snobbery when it comes to salary. Most people feel 'guilty' about saying that they earn a lot and feel that they will be resented. Which they probably will. Whereas if they say they earn little (as long as they actually work rather than scrounge) they will get sympathy.

If I could get my wife back to work full time together we would earn over £80,000 before deductions. Sadly with the kids that won't be for a while but she does earn a good wage for a part time worker. I get hammered for deductions mind and we don't really have that much left over at the end of the month.

Having said that as long as we can live to a good standard and provide for the children then i am happy.

Being happy has to be the key. And living in an old house I'd imagine whatever is left goes on heating the place and keeping it standing? For all that it does cost I'd kill for a house like yours! :santa:

Do you really get paid that much to be the publics most disliked servant? :xmas:

Being happy has to be the key. And living in an old house I'd imagine whatever is left goes on heating the place and keeping it standing? For all that it does cost I'd kill for a house like yours! :santa:

Do you really get paid that much to be the publics most disliked servant? :xmas:

Yes getting the heating and windows sorted cost me over £16,000.

I am on top rate PC's money as published on the internet. £36,519 which after deductions is about £26,000. Lots of factory workers on shift can make the same as me.

Harry

I am on top rate PC's money as published on the internet. £36,519 which after deductions is about £26,000. Lots of factory workers on shift can make the same as me.

Harry

Tell me about it mate..Same here. People go on about how good our pension is but rarely notice that we pay £300 a month into it.

One of questions I have always pondered is that police say that they retire at 50 because it not possable to perform there duties after that age like running after bad guys etc.

First how come it alright for a brickie to work after 50 and a whole lot more fizz than a copper.

And looking at the two old bill I meet this afternoon they could not perform there chasing bad guys due too many pies.

And thats a cracking wage and to be able to retire at 50 with a far penison.

Cheers OTH

Because if a brickie doesn't lay enough bricks, the house gets built slower.

If a copper can't chase and catch thieves, they go on to commit more crimes and make people's lives a misery.

£36K is not a cracking wage considering the **** they have to put up with. Got a mate who is a sergeant, and some of the things he deals with makes my skin crawl.

Then again not all coppers have to put up with $$$$

The two I saw this afternoon spent 4 hours at a customers house having tea and cakes I know as I was repairing the windows .

They where so called have a NAG meeting nowt to do with her being a fit 30 year old with looks to die for.

Cheers OTH

Life's full of choice's, Policemen chose to be policemen.

So they shouldn't whinge about putting up with s###.

I pay 40% Tax, do 40k mile a year, have 330 staff.

I deal with problems and pressure like a policeman couldn't handle, but that's my choice.

I don't expect the state to keep paying me my salary after I'm 50 when I'm still young enough to carry on working, like lot's of "retired" policemen do.

I have to make my own arrangements for my retirement :whistling:

Don't take it too personally if your a PC , there's lot's of other subsidized careers that we could get onto. IMO

Edited by MITCHF

I'd rather not say what I earn. All I will say is, my tax bill was £0.20... nuff said!!

Are we not going off the original subject, which was contentious anyway, now we seem to be picking on anyone that has a good wage or pension. Lets get back to pigeon shooting or even Ferreting, where all this originally started.

bakerboy

I have to make my own arrangements for my retirement :whistling:

your choice. :hmm:

Makes me laugh when people say "well they choose to be a police officer and put up with the ****" but then moan about their own situation.

we all make our own career choices, and to be honest I don't think anyone has any ******* right whatsoever to moan about what another person has.

You deal with pressure? when is the last time you were nice to someone who had raped a child, or mugged an old lady for her shopping money, or battered a pensioner? When is the last time you told a parent their child was dead? when is the last time you were at a road accident and had to deal with severely injured people?

Never I bet.

Are we not going off the original subject, which was contentious anyway, now we seem to be picking on anyone that has a good wage or pension. Lets get back to pigeon shooting or even Ferreting, where all this originally started.

bakerboy

exactly, the thread just stinks of people who are either bitter or jealous of other peoples situations.

but at least some are happy with what they have, even if it isn't as much or as good as others!

"Makes me laugh when people say "well they choose to be a police officer and put up with the ****" but then moan about their own situation". Didn't moan about my situation fella, I love my job and I'm very happy. I just made a comparison to a diffent type of pressure.

"we all make our own career choices, and to be honest I don't think anyone has any ******* right whatsoever to moan about what another person has". I have a right, it's called freedom of speech, I don't agree with FSP's, that's just my opinion.

"You deal with pressure? when is the last time you were nice to someone who had raped a child, or mugged an old lady for her shopping money, or battered a pensioner? When is the last time you told a parent their child was dead? when is the last time you were at a road accident and had to deal with severely injured people?"

"Never I bet." That's right, because I chose not too, but I wouldn't expect a state handout for the rest of my natural if I did

Don't blow this out of proportion fella, just another opinion. Didn't expect everyone to agree with it.

Happy shooting

Edited by MITCHF