Hornady v max in 243

But you use Lee Dies and reloading equipment, so no matter how hard you try and make accurate and consistent ammunition it will only ever be as good as your reloading gear.

You use rubbish, you make rubbish.

Now I suppose your gonna tell me you have been reloading 50 years and you can clover leaf at 1000yds and your an F-Class champion bla...bla...bla...

Yes and we all believe you can achieve those results with Lee reloading equipment .

Carry on !!!

ah its walt back for another outing had his FAC all of 6 months and knows everything :oops:

gear aside if you weigh powder and measure every round with a micrometer the gear will make far less difference than you would imagine, assuming you only accept correctly measured bullets. In the real world with deer and foxes as quarry you don't need to be worrying quite as much as if you want to play on paper all your life.

Edited by al4x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you use Lee Dies and reloading equipment, so no matter how hard you try and make accurate and consistent ammunition it will only ever be as good as your reloading gear.

You use rubbish, you make rubbish.

Now I suppose your gonna tell me you have been reloading 50 years and you can clover leaf at 1000yds and your an F-Class champion bla...bla...bla...

Yes and we all believe you can achieve those results with Lee reloading equipment .

Carry on !!!

I could go on about how lee collet dies producing rounds with less run out than dies three times the price but I think Lee needs no defending,its reputation speaks for itself.As for statements like the above from someone who's using redding target dies in a hunting rifle to shoot 700yd varmints yet stringing groups at 100yds because he can't hold the gun straight. Someone who's groups are rubbish at 100yds yet tighten up at 400yds, well I will be putting your name in my Christmas crackers Robotsam as I can't think of a joke finer.

I am a beginner at this, only reloading this year. I am using all RCBS kit, which i was given by a friend who gave up and am using 100gn soft points. I am using 35gn H380 powder (as advised by my mentor in my local shop) and getting very satisfying groups, at least as good as shop bought stuff, probably 20p sized and smaller groups at 100mtr, which is quite adequate for my needs, simply roe and foxes and very occasional reds. We have tested them out to 200mtr, the longest range we currently have. The groups open up to perhaps 50 p sized, perhaps even a little larger, a couple of inches maximum at this range and again i am satisfied with this. I believe that for my needs this is quite adequate, all my shots are taken from a bipod, both on the range and in the field.

I have two questions. In reality, for a shooter like me, how much difference will different brands / makes of the same design and weight of bullet head make to the POI. I am told by the shop it will be minimal/ not noticable and although obviously i will make up a batch and test them i just wondered what your experiences are. I ask because my favourite heads are not always available and the shop seems to drift between two brands.

Secondly I use a RCBS powder dispenser and electronic scales. Most powder loads are basically the same weight, with only tiny variations in each one. As an example 35.2 gn - 35.6 gn over a batch of 10. Again from my experience this seems to make no difference to a shot like me, but for very experienced shots would this make any significant difference? To date and my limited experience (really quite experienced at shooting 243 just not reloading it) the differences are not really measurable or noticeable.

I am a beginner at this, only reloading this year. I am using all RCBS kit, which i was given by a friend who gave up and am using 100gn soft points. I am using 35gn H380 powder (as advised by my mentor in my local shop) and getting very satisfying groups, at least as good as shop bought stuff, probably 20p sized and smaller groups at 100mtr, which is quite adequate for my needs, simply roe and foxes and very occasional reds. We have tested them out to 200mtr, the longest range we currently have. The groups open up to perhaps 50 p sized, perhaps even a little larger, a couple of inches maximum at this range and again i am satisfied with this. I believe that for my needs this is quite adequate, all my shots are taken from a bipod, both on the range and in the field.

I have two questions. In reality, for a shooter like me, how much difference will different brands / makes of the same design and weight of bullet head make to the POI. I am told by the shop it will be minimal/ not noticable and although obviously i will make up a batch and test them i just wondered what your experiences are. I ask because my favourite heads are not always available and the shop seems to drift between two brands.

Secondly I use a RCBS powder dispenser and electronic scales. Most powder loads are basically the same weight, with only tiny variations in each one. As an example 35.2 gn - 35.6 gn over a batch of 10. Again from my experience this seems to make no difference to a shot like me, but for very experienced shots would this make any significant difference? To date and my limited experience (really quite experienced at shooting 243 just not reloading it) the differences are not really measurable or noticeable.

I'd say thats pretty good shooting by any standards, personally I have found that differant heads and powders do vary. My Remington 700 shoots well with sierra 100gr and 85gr soft points with H414 powder, then I tried some 87grain Hornady V Max,they shoot even better. What rifle do you have as alot of 243's struggle with 100grains if they do not have a fast enough twist.

I know we debate on accuracy with differant loads but the rifle has to be sound enough to put them in the right place( as well as the pilot). All this said, twenty years ago most deer stalkers would be happy getting three shots in a 4 inch circle.

Edited by Redgum

I'd say thats pretty good shooting by any standards, personally I have found that differant heads and powders do vary. My Remington 700 shoots well with sierra 100gr and 85gr soft points with H414 powder, then I tried some 87grain Hornady V Max,they shoot even better. What rifle do you have as alot of 243's struggle with 100grains if they do not have a fast enough twist.

I know we debate on accuracy with differant loads but the rifle has to be sound enough to put them in the right place( as well as the pilot). All this said, twenty years ago most deer stalkers would be happy getting three shots in a 4 inch circle.

Thanks. I use a CZ 243. I have had it from new and out of the box it was a great shot. I think the reason it is good is the Harris bipod it sits on. I tried a copy earlier and it was not as good.

Anyway, Those little differences in powder should make minimal difference? Hopefully this is the case. The heads are all 100gn, and look very similar. the only visible difference being one shows slightly more lead tip than the other but hopefully the difference is minimal and not significant in the field. Hopefully weather permitting i will try them this weekend and report my findings

cheers

dave

Thanks. I use a CZ 243. I have had it from new and out of the box it was a great shot. I think the reason it is good is the Harris bipod it sits on. I tried a copy earlier and it was not as good.

Anyway, Those little differences in powder should make minimal difference? Hopefully this is the case. The heads are all 100gn, and look very similar. the only visible difference being one shows slightly more lead tip than the other but hopefully the difference is minimal and not significant in the field. Hopefully weather permitting i will try them this weekend and report my findings

cheers

dave

I have been going through exactly the same dilemma as yourself with reloading and I have found that if you persevere you will be rewarded.

If you have RCBS gear you are on the right lines to start with. Some people try to get great groups with Lee gear and its like trying to catch fog.

As for your rifle, I have a .22lr CZ and I get .2-.3" groups at 50yds so I am sure your centerfire will do the business if you do your bit and the loads are correct.

What is the twist on your barrel because a lot of .243 rifles with a 1 in 10 just will not stabilize a 100 grain bullets, but some people do get great results with a 1 in 10 using Hornady 100 grain soft points.

The main bit of advice I can give you is this.

A factory rifle can produce sub .5" groups at 100yards if you are prepared to keep trying different load combinations, the problem is though that you may wear your barrel out finding the right combination.

I have a .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint and I have shot about 400 rounds through it looking for the best combination and now I have a Berger load that will put 5 shots on a 10p at 200yds.

The truth is though, does the average hunter need that accuracy????? I shoot varmints at looooong ranges and in order to hit a rabbit at 500yds+ you really do have to get the loads grouping well. If you are shooting deer at 300yds then 1" groups at 100yds will give you a 3" group at 300yds ( All things being equal, which they rarely are). Which should be more than adequate for a heart/lung shot. Not a head shot though, especially if you have wind to consider.

If I were you I would stick to the 1" group bro at 100yds for what you shoot as its realy frustrating trying to get it tighter, It is possible, but do you really need to....... Probably not !!!!

Some people try to get great groups with Lee gear and its like trying to catch fog.

On the other hand some lucky soul held a world record smallest group for over seven years with ammunition loaded with a Lee Loader. Then there was a 1000 yard record held by Robert Frey - he used Lee collet dies.

Do yourself a favour and stop being a bellend. You say that trying to load good ammo with Lee kit is like trying to catch fog? Well the way you're talking you're not bright enough to catch a cold so you've not got much hope of making Lee kit work for you either have you?! Muppet! :rolleyes:

I have been going through exactly the same dilemma as yourself with reloading and I have found that if you persevere you will be rewarded.

If you have RCBS gear you are on the right lines to start with. Some people try to get great groups with Lee gear and its like trying to catch fog.

As for your rifle, I have a .22lr CZ and I get .2-.3" groups at 50yds so I am sure your centerfire will do the business if you do your bit and the loads are correct.

What is the twist on your barrel because a lot of .243 rifles with a 1 in 10 just will not stabilize a 100 grain bullets, but some people do get great results with a 1 in 10 using Hornady 100 grain soft points.

The main bit of advice I can give you is this.

A factory rifle can produce sub .5" groups at 100yards if you are prepared to keep trying different load combinations, the problem is though that you may wear your barrel out finding the right combination.

I have a .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint and I have shot about 400 rounds through it looking for the best combination and now I have a Berger load that will put 5 shots on a 10p at 200yds.

The truth is though, does the average hunter need that accuracy????? I shoot varmints at looooong ranges and in order to hit a rabbit at 500yds+ you really do have to get the loads grouping well. If you are shooting deer at 300yds then 1" groups at 100yds will give you a 3" group at 300yds ( All things being equal, which they rarely are). Which should be more than adequate for a heart/lung shot. Not a head shot though, especially if you have wind to consider.

If I were you I would stick to the 1" group bro at 100yds for what you shoot as its realy frustrating trying to get it tighter, It is possible, but do you really need to....... Probably not !!!!

Wow, you know your stuff frog chaser, could do with a lad with your knowledge for a couple of weeks work over the christmas period,

Whats that you ask,'Do I need a hand sorting my reloads'.

No,thinking more on the lines that we need a fairy for the top of the christmas tree. :lol::lol:

Edited by Redgum

cheers

dave

Theres only one way to tell how much differance 0.1 of a grain makes and that is to load a few up and try them against your non weighed measured loads. Personally I weigh each charge.

Loooong ranges for varmints eh.... Maybe you shot the 700 yard hare, maybe not, but even if you did, fluke shot. plenty of folk can do that shot regularly, but you're a muppet with no bleedin' clue, so you're not among that group.

700 yd hare, 500yd rabbits and 300yd deer, think I can make sense of all this now, the poor wee lad smells so bad he can't get any closer to his prey so has to shoot wildly from a distance, and the smell, well I think it could be the same as what comes out of a bulls bottom.

.308 for Deer stalking and the range ???

I am now in the market for a .308 rifle.

I want to use the rifle for deer hunting and on the range up to 600-1000yds. I like the look of the Accuracy International rifles but am concerned the weight of the rifle could pose a problem in the field when hunting. I was hoping to use the biathalon sling to carry the rifle to help with the weight.

Brace yourself for the next barrage :w00t: .....30 Caliber here we come :oops:

cheers

dave

I think it all depends on what you find acceptable accuracy wise.

While working up a load for the .243 using 70gr noslers all the rounds fired from 42.5 - 44.3gr

viht n140 went into a total group of .8" and lots of people would be happy with that.

For me i just think soft points look nasty and much prefer the look of a nice hollow point or

ballistic tip.

Cheers Weejohn / Redgum

Like i said, i am not a target shooter and have found a bullet that works for my needs and my ground. I am lucky enough to have good quality roe with occasional reds, hence the 100gn. I had a couple of stags earlier this year, both written up here using the rounds and they fairly worked. The groups you are describing kind of mirror my earlier experiences, when my early efforts at reloading and very slight veriety in powder weight made less difference than the accuracy of my shooting. I am shooting at ranges when i am comfortable to hit a tennis ball all day, not the huge ranges some of you can achieve. I doubt i have the patience for all that is required to do it well.

cheers for the help

dave

I and several people I know have done a lot of shooting and had some great success with Lee dies. They may not be the flashest dies in the world but they are damn good value for money and I have never sent one back. I have sent dies from other manufacturers back.

There are a lot of people on this forum who should come to the Diggle Egg shoot next year, they can have a real live play on a groundhog target from a cold barrel with no sighters at 100, 300 and 500 yards and beleive me, there will be some serious players there with some serious kit. Having said that, one member of this forum who shall remain nameless put in one of only two clean scores at 100 yards with a bog standard Tikka T3 and Lee dies lol. Oh, and he hit the egg at 500 yards. He is very shy though so I wont name him.

I agree.

I and several people I know have done a lot of shooting and had some great success with Lee dies. They may not be the flashest dies in the world but they are damn good value for money and I have never sent one back. I have sent dies from other manufacturers back.

There are a lot of people on this forum who should come to the Diggle Egg shoot next year, they can have a real live play on a groundhog target from a cold barrel with no sighters at 100, 300 and 500 yards and beleive me, there will be some serious players there with some serious kit. Having said that, one member of this forum who shall remain nameless put in one of only two clean scores at 100 yards with a bog standard Tikka T3 and Lee dies lol. Oh, and he hit the egg at 500 yards. He is very shy though so I wont name him.

does his name begin with c and end in v please.