Firefighters Strike

Billy.

Am I the only one here who is seething with anger watching firemen on the picket lines giving absolute hell to those who are trying to save people's lives?

Whilst I understand that certain industries can strike, I just find it amazing that those who are there to save us in life threatening situations would even consider going on strike around fireworks night.

BBC London news just showed a union member who got hit by a fire engine when he stepped out to threaten the driver. He's sat at home shivering and shaking in pain and feels he is the victim!

I'm sure there's a fireman or two on here. Anyone?!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no sympathies for Firemen, Nurses, Police & army etc, they know the job they know the risks and that is what they sign up for if they don`t like it then shove off to a non public sector job with a less cushy pension and perks.

Do they think they are immune to job losses and low pay rises etc?? have i missed something or are they just thinking they are better than everyone else.

I have no sympathies for Firemen, Nurses, Police & army etc, they know the job they know the risks and that is what they sign up for if they don`t like it then shove off to a non public sector job with a less cushy pension and perks.

Do they think they are immune to job losses and low pay rises etc?? have i missed something or are they just thinking they are better than everyone else.

agree 1000000000000000%

Too right! When people join the Army they know they are going to get their limbs blown off or be killed. In addition to which, the Army is well known for it`s excessive public sector pay and most squaddies receive a bloated pension out of all proportion to the job they`ve been doing.

Actually, there might just be a bit more to it than your rather simplistic overview.

Thats right mate,you stay in your comfort zone :innocent: get yourself out to Afghan,and when you come back,i will let you change you undercrackers before i ask you if the Armed forces earn there pensions/wages :angry:

Good job not everyone has your opinion,Sunday the 14th plenty of people will turn out to honour and pay respect to our countrys fallen,none of them are around to claim cushy pensions and perks.

And as for slating Firemen,Nurses,Police,lets hope you never need to call on the fantastic service they provide :lol::good: BB

Thats right mate,you stay in your comfort zone :lol: get yourself out to Afghan,and when you come back,i will let you change you undercrackers before i ask you if the Armed forces earn there pensions/wages :innocent:

Good job not everyone has your opinion,Sunday the 14th plenty of people will turn out to honour and pay respect to our countrys fallen,none of them are around to claim cushy pensions and perks.

And as for slating Firemen,Nurses,Police,lets hope you never need to call on the fantastic service they provide :good::good: BB

:good::angry:

fact is you could run the fire service with less men and less cost.

when the country has loads of money then largesse on the public services is fine.

now we are skint these cuts are inevitable, so striking is pointless.

That's right, but it's not even got to job losses, cuts or rationalisation [yet].

The current dispute is about implementing a new shift pattern of 12 hours, 12 hours and 12 hours (as opposed to 9 hours, 15 hours and 9 hours) and the fact that the firemen would be required to sign new contracts. No other changes and no whiff of redundancies [yet].

In modern memory, when has a strike been successful or been remembered as a positive?

There are just some things you can't odds. If you can run the same fire service in a better fashion, for less money and with less people then that's the way it will end up.

Look at the miners - you can strike all you like but nothing says "pit closure" louder or clearer than an industry which runs at a loss and which can't balance it's books. And did the strike help at all? It tore communities apart and the only people that seemed to gain out of it were the NUM.

I digress....

Look at the miners - you can strike all you like but nothing says "pit closure" louder or clearer than an industry which runs at a loss and which can't balance it's books. And did the strike help at all? It tore communities apart and the only people that seemed to gain out of it were the NUM.

I digress....

and dont forget the fight by the dockers against containerisation.

all stirking does is create an embittered situation. which the unions love and take full advantage of whilst on full wages and perks.

and dont forget the fight by the dockers against containerisation.

all stirking does is create an embittered situation. which the unions love and take full advantage of whilst on full wages and perks.

Oh and the printers against desktop publishing (News International and Fortress Wapping)

I dont agree with people striking, you know the crack when you sign up. Also in this countrys current situation i think people should be grateful of the jobs that they have.

But... Including the army into it is just not on.

(bluebarrels, this isnt a dig at you, im just using your post)

Dont worry mate,no offence taken :angry: everyones entitled to there opinion :lol: Have a look at some of the Threads on PW tonight,enough in-fighting without anymore :innocent: BB

Dont worry mate,no offence taken :angry: everyones entitled to there opinion :lol: Have a look at some of the Threads on PW tonight,enough in-fighting without anymore :innocent: BB

Ohhhh have I missed somthing, I had better get another brew on.

Edit: Just found it but it is all about the frogs so can't be ***** to read it.

Dan

Edited by reddan

I think the going on strike on bonfire night will cost them what little public support there was.

I agree. I think the time for strikes is well and truly over. Don't like it go do something else. The public will have to cover the cost of covering the service in their absence so we all lose out again.

Dan

Edited by reddan

I wasn't posting this to get a five pager with subsequent closure.

I was just saying that striking should not include risking of lives (fireworks night) as leverage for getting what they want.

How many people lose their lives on bonfire night every year ?

How many firefighters lose their lives every year ?

How many people in (add your job title) die every year ?

I work for £28K a year, over 48 hrs if you have a theory of how much I am worth, place yourself in a building alight or in a car upside down or a multi storey building that has had a plane flown into it and tell me I am not worth it.

BTW - I am also ex-forces(Falklands etc.)