GM Police

alexr

Just had a letter from the firearms licencing section of Greater Manchester Police requesting used cases from all of my shotguns so that they can keep a record of the forensics of the guns........... Incase they are ever discharged illigaly. Anyone else had the same, and if so is it only those in Manchester or is it happening else where.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are asking for one used shell from each gun and barrel for SxS or O/U to be stored in a bag clearly labelled and to be kept at the cert owners house, if ever required it can then be checked.

They are not asking for every shell, or for the shell to be returned to GMP. For those who have received letters at least take the time to read them and understand what it is saying before making assumptions

what a load of ********, what are they going to do with the information?!

say you have a gun stolen, and ten years later someone uses it to turn over a post office - what are they going to do, write you a letter to tell you?

are they asking or telling you to do it?

Given that I havent been out much this year it may take me some considerable length of time to get all the cases for them. Anyway Your right Dave I am at work and the letter is at home. The wife openned it thinking it might be a speeding fine as she thought she might have triggered a gatso a few weeks back, so I only had a garbled message, but I just wondered who else had had them.

Just had a letter from the firearms licencing section of Greater Manchester Police requesting used cases from all of my shotguns so that they can keep a record of the forensics of the guns........... Incase they are ever discharged illigaly. Anyone else had the same, and if so is it only those in Manchester or is it happening else where.

:hmm: So how will they know it was you discharged the gun illegally unless you leave the evidence for them to compare the mind boggles,another scaremongering tactic and probably a very costly one at that lets see how long this lasts :no: Nice way to get rid of a BIG black bag full of used cartridges though..... :oops: There you go Occifer check them out :no: :no:

I have upmost respect for the team at GMP Firearms Licensing Unit, they are asking for one used cartridge case (just one, not 25, not all of them, not a bin bag full) for each barrel to be retained, just in case it can help in any future enquiries.

Is this such a bad thing ?, for those whose local Firearms Licensing Unit are not running this initiative why worry ?.

For those within GMP or other areas who do not want to volounteer or are worried speak to BASC, I am sure before not too long David from BASC may come along with the BASC comment on this.

Can I have my tea now, pigeon and apple burgers, yummy.

Edited by Dave66

TAKEN FROM WIKI

Shotguns

Ballistic fingerprinting of bullets does not work with firearms such as shotguns that fire shot-containing cartridges. In many cases the shot rides inside a plastic sleeve that prevents it from ever touching the barrel, and even in cases where the shot does touch the barrel, the random movement of the shot down the barrel will not leave any consistent marks. But shotgun cases can still be examined for firing pin marks and the like.[1]

means anyone commiting a crime would need to leave the shells and as jim says if your gonna blag your PO get a few legit shells to chuck about, about 10 different ones should suffice. Total waste of time and money that would be better used getting

illegal guns off the streets. :oops:

It's more completely useless legislation that is being brought in through the back door IMO.

Voluntary to start, soon enforced in GMP and then everywhere else, probably at a massive cost for **** all benefit.

"Oh look, poontangs gun which went missing 20 years ago was used to fire a pot shot at a security guard"

very helpful!

Well they obviously feel that a spent cartridge case could be of use should the need arise.

Can't see the problem myself.

Just do it, and stop moaning.

HA its about time somebody moaned in this country of all the stupid things Ive heard this one takes the biscuit,its just another stupid scaremongering tactic to worry the genuine shooting community,and make none shooters think theyre doing something about a massive gun problem they have in this country that they cant control, maybe we should all just hand our guns in,just do it and stop moaning .

Most ideas when they first surface are ridiculed by many - at the end of the day it's down to choice - assist or don't - I for one am of the mind (going off point totally) that everyone should be required to give a dna simple (taken at birth) that is stored should you ever do anything naughty and leave your body liquid behind - there would be a damn sight less rapists walking our streets and I for one would not feel like my civil liberties would be infringed.

Must get out shooting soon as my shotty cart cufflinks are looking a bit weathered and I need to create 2 new ones :oops:

Ballistic fingerprinting of bullets does not work with firearms such as shotguns that fire shot-containing cartridges. In many cases the shot rides inside a plastic sleeve that prevents it from ever touching the barrel, and even in cases where the shot does touch the barrel, the random movement of the shot down the barrel will not leave any consistent marks. But shotgun cases can still be examined for firing pin marks and the like

That begs the question;.....What happens if you fit new firing pins ? :oops:

Another Amoeba Brained Idea though up by some muppet sitting at a desk :hmm:

BJ

That begs the question;.....What happens if you fit new firing pins ? :oops:

Another Amoeba Brained Idea though up by some muppet sitting at a desk :hmm:

BJ

If you fit new firing pins then you keep a new set of used cartridges. Simple really.

.............or possibly a very good idea thought up by a very clever forensic scientist sitting in a laboratory :no: