Wow, What a sport !!

Vinny v

Hi,

After weeks of nagging I finally gave into my 11 year old son and arranged an introduction to shotgun shooting at a local gun club.

Firstly I would love to thank the owner for taking over 2 hours to show us the very basics and allowing us both to shoot despite having no previous experience or license and secondly for charging us next to nothing for the experience !! We shot 10 cartridges and clays each or there abouts and with 2 hours of basic tuition he charged us a total of only £7.70!!

The experience has left us both amazed at just how wonderful a time can be had and how friendly people can be.

We are both now looking forward to shooting again and whole heartedly accept any advice.

We are both looking to apply for a shot gun certificate and if sucessful would love some help on choosing a gun.

V

Welcome Vinny glad you enjoyed the experience, £7.70 that is a bargain! If you fill out your profile more people will be able to assist, but after such great service let us know where you went.

The BASC have a very helpful website especially for youngsters see here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/young-shots/ and http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/docume...B4B187BAD081659 is also very helpful.

Welcome Vinny glad you enjoyed the experience, £7.70 that is a bargain! If you fill out your profile more people will be able to assist, but after such great service let us know where you went.

The BASC have a very helpful website especially for youngsters see here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/young-shots/ and http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/docume...B4B187BAD081659 is also very helpful.

HDAV,

Thankyou for that. I will take a look at their site as my son is really keen to try many new sports but this one seems to attract more of his attention than most.

I'm not a child of modern technology but will try and fill out profile as best I can and fully appreciate all advice and help.

Thankyou

V

Hi,

After weeks of nagging I finally gave into my 11 year old son and arranged an introduction to shotgun shooting at a local gun club.

Firstly I would love to thank the owner for taking over 2 hours to show us the very basics and allowing us both to shoot despite having no previous experience or license and secondly for charging us next to nothing for the experience !! We shot 10 cartridges and clays each or there abouts and with 2 hours of basic tuition he charged us a total of only £7.70!!

The experience has left us both amazed at just how wonderful a time can be had and how friendly people can be.

We are both now looking forward to shooting again and whole heartedly accept any advice.

We are both looking to apply for a shot gun certificate and if sucessful would love some help on choosing a gun.

V

Where abouts are you?

Oneway is to visit as many clubs as possible and try different guns

Please remember, for your first gun it is more important to get a gun that fits you.

If youve plenty of disposables then no problem.

If you are near to Manchester of Oldham, give me a PM and I would be happy to take you over to our club. You could even try a couple of club guns and also our members do let folks have a shot or two wth their guns. Supervised of course.

Welcome and good and safe shooting

Hi,

V

welcome to the sport i remember my first shots of a gun.now you cought the bug you cant get rid of :good:

Where abouts are you?

Oneway is to visit as many clubs as possible and try different guns

Please remember, for your first gun it is more important to get a gun that fits you.

If youve plenty of disposables then no problem.

If you are near to Manchester of Oldham, give me a PM and I would be happy to take you over to our club. You could even try a couple of club guns and also our members do let folks have a shot or two wth their guns. Supervised of course.

Welcome and good and safe shooting

Thankyou Chefdon,

Sadly I'm between Mansfield and Chesterfield but really appreciate the offer.

Thanks also for the advice on trying as many guns as possible before buying. I'll let you know how I get on

V

Welcome to PW, :good: If your close to me in S,Wales I`ll be able to help you and your boy with some clay shooting.

We went to Tenby a few years ago on holiday and had a great time but sadly we live near Mansfield and you are some miles away.

We do appreciate the kind offer.

Thankyou

V

If you are intent on joining this madhouse of ours, did your intructor tell you that, depending on you local police/ FEO, it can be weeks, or in some cases months, before the licence process is completed, so you need to be getting your licence application in ASAP. Nothing worse than knowing what you want and seeing a bargain, but being unable to buy it, as your Licence isn't through yet ! I don't know your area too well, but there are a couple of good clubs near Newark and Gainsborough, if you want to try around. All the Best, IanG

• 2 weeks later...

If you are intent on joining this madhouse of ours, did your intructor tell you that, depending on you local police/ FEO, it can be weeks, or in some cases months, before the licence process is completed, so you need to be getting your licence application in ASAP. Nothing worse than knowing what you want and seeing a bargain, but being unable to buy it, as your Licence isn't through yet ! I don't know your area too well, but there are a couple of good clubs near Newark and Gainsborough, if you want to try around. All the Best, IanG

Thanks Ian

I was initially going to wait but following your advice I rang the local Licencing Officer and as you suggested they seem to think it will take approx 8 weeks !!!!!!!!

Application is now completed and off in the post.

Thanks again

V

Hi Vinny,

I live in Tibshelf near Alfreton/Chesterfield and work in Mansfield so you are pretty local. Where did you go for your first shoot? PM me when you are next thinking of going where/when and if im free ill come along, youd be welcome to use my gun.

I wouldnt say im a good enough shot to help teach as id probably pass on bad habbits so get a few lessons on the xmas list :)