Mister Fox

bucolic

As the title says missed a fox, sat in the wood last night waiting for the roosters in all my camo gear not shot a pigeon all afternoon feeling a bit ****** off, sat there for about half an hour nothing, then there he was mr fox about ten yards away walking towards me just came over a bit of a hill at the side of some brambles so im sat there dead still he could not see me wind blowing in my face, very slowly i put my hand on my safety and click he heard it and looked straight at me, I thought its now or never I turned the gun round as fast as I could he saw me and he was off, I got a shot of but he had gone over the hill faster than a whippet, I had a look to see if I clipped him but no blood so I left, it made my day and I just thought I would share it with you lads.

I personally would have just looked, while mumbling "I'll get you another day" rather than risk shooting but not humanely dispatching mr fox, leaving him to run and either bleed to death, or stay alive and starve, I once had a muncjac no more than 4ft to my right, had I tried getting a shot off, with the gun pointing the opposite way would have been useless, so just sat and enjoyed the moment

my opinion only mind

I missed one aweek last sunday was out with a gun pack ,hounds pushed this one out ,it came round a mound seen me and crouched BOOM ,it ran like linford lunchbox. I put it down to a qantity of bitter the night before for the miss,tryed to blagg it that it was hit,. But several guns saw the miss, i took some ribing for it. two foxes were shot out of that particular wood. THE next gorse bank/wood the hounds were put in mr fox shown himself 5 yards away ,1st barrel no 6 bowled him over 2nd barrel BB said good night. it stopped the michael being took :lol: had no 6 in one barrel has this particular spot are very close when they show,.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, we all miss sometimes, but there are times you just move on and don't tell the world!

ATB! :good:

True enough!

It can be a tough call. I find that hurried movements will always spook the quarry, the only chance is to move slowly, almost imperceptibly. And get s 'dead cert' shot ... if you can! :yp:

I personally would have just looked, while mumbling "I'll get you another day" rather than risk shooting but not humanely dispatching mr fox, leaving him to run and either bleed to death, or stay alive and starve, I once had a muncjac no more than 4ft to my right, had I tried getting a shot off, with the gun pointing the opposite way would have been useless, so just sat and enjoyed the moment

my opinion only mind

At 10 yards it wouldn't have mattered where he hit the fox, it would have been enough to knock it over. The reason for the miss was probably because it was so close that the cartridge didn't get a chance to spread. It's not a nice feeling when you miss but at least there was noone there to witness it :lol: .